U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2011, 03:56 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,481,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
because yours was first!
actually every poster before me listed SF.
admit it, you are trying to be my groupie

you just have to disagree. Well get in line. KidPhilly and sweethomeSA are ahead of you. They have been disagreeing with me forever and a day now

Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM

79 posts, read 100,374 times
Default Smaller cities too?

The lists are all large cities, but if we're going to look at cities of smaller size as well Santa Fe has got to be on that list. I grew up there and it wasn't like that then but now its full of southwestern 'posers' and trust fund people.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM

48 posts, read 93,666 times
I think everybody knows the 5 most pretentious of them all. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC. That whole stretch is pretentious. The most unpretentious is the south, we have good values here and not into the fast pace, pretentiousness, eating fancy food, watching fancy chic movies, listening to fancy rappers, fancy ivy league schools. There is nothing wrong with SEC football and solid schools like Vanderbilt, nothing wrong with a good wholesome meal served without attitude by friendly folks, or some good wholesome music out of Nashville.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:20 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,481,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Catfish View Post
I think everybody knows the 5 most pretentious of them all. Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC. That whole stretch is pretentious. The most unpretentious is the south, we have good values here and not into the fast pace, pretentiousness, eating fancy food, watching fancy chic movies, listening to fancy rappers, fancy ivy league schools. There is nothing wrong with SEC football and solid schools like Vanderbilt, nothing wrong with a good wholesome meal served without attitude by friendly folks, or some good wholesome music out of Nashville.
Lol, I am southern and I can tell you that there are a handful of pretentious cities in the south. Overall the south may not be, but we have some pretty kooky cities.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, I am southern and I can tell you that there are a handful of pretentious cities in the south. Overall the south may not be, but we have some pretty kooky cities.
The only reason for that is because they have been brainwashed by transplants that they need fancy things. That is not a southern traits, which is humble about what they have. They have been around the transplants too much and adopting their cultures and attitudes. If you feel like you need to go shopping, eat fancy restaurants, then you have probably been reading their news sources or hanging around them too much at the office. That is why I like fishing so much, pretentious people do not like fishing, just the down to earth people who need a good fresh fish, hand clean it, cook it up, get to know the fish really well. Southern people get to know you well, people from up north in the big cities are closed off and do not have intimate relationships...This is starting to develop in the south and should stop immediately or the south will be homogenized. Historically the north has always had the big cities, so it isn't a northern thing, it is a big city thing too that creates it.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 PM

3,977 posts, read 3,294,945 times
Quote:
The only reason for that is because they have been brainwashed by transplants that they need fancy things. That is not a southern traits, which is humble about what they have. They have been around the transplants too much and adopting their cultures and attitudes. If you feel like you need to go shopping, eat fancy restaurants, then you have probably been reading their news sources or hanging around them too much at the office. That is why I like fishing so much, pretentious people do not like fishing, just the down to earth people who need a good fresh fish, hand clean it, cook it up, get to know the fish really well. Southern people get to know you well, people from up north in the big cities are closed off and do not have intimate relationships...This is starting to develop in the south and should stop immediately or the south will be homogenized. Historically the north has always had the big cities, so it isn't a northern thing, it is a big city thing too that creates it.
LOL. No, we don't have intimate relationships or know our fish well - just fancy things.

Thanks for the smile.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
LOL. No, we don't have intimate relationships or know our fish well - just fancy things.

Thanks for the smile.
I can gau-ran-tee you do not know fish as well as me, I am out there fishing 4 times a week, sometimes 5. how many people do you know in Philadelphia that are fishing so much? I meant more with your neighbors, not friends and family. Harder to have longer communities these days when it is all go go go. Now the arts and culture, heck ya you know the north has that stuff, and smart folks, but what about common sense, knowing the land? Knowing the movements of the fish, the changing leaves of nature, what wild plants to eat.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:43 PM

5,028 posts, read 5,857,784 times
Quote:
Yeah, this doesn't describe Atlanta or Houston at all

And Baltimore? Its pretty blue collared.

The differences you described largely is found in all cities of a certain size.

And "fancy chick flicks, fancy rappers(?), ivy leagues schools (what kind of food is fancy?)

Especially the chick flicks and rappers, I don't know if people would describe those things as pretentious.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Yeah, this doesn't describe Atlanta or Houston at all

And Baltimore? Its pretty blue collared.

The differences you described largely is found in all cities of a certain size.

And "fancy chick flicks, fancy rappers(?), ivy leagues schools (what kind of food is fancy?)

Especially the chick flicks and rappers, I don't know if people would describe those things as pretentious.
Well Sorry TEX maybe I was wrong, you don't have to get so mad and rolling those internet eyes at me. Sarcasm goes hand and hand with being pretentious. You sound like one to me anyway how RUDE you are on here. I know what pretentious is and you sound like you are pretentious too! I already said Atlanta and Houston is getting that way, but they weren't always like that. Come up here to Murfreesboro, TENNESSEE and I will show you how it is done you can relax, get some great fishing done, and forget about all your big city life. Remember he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones, you should not roll those eyes at me next time and learn some MANNERS.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,000,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, get over it dude, most of the people who have mentioned SF as pretentious come from a city bigger than SF, why would it be pretentious to speak the truth.
Pretentious is you sneaking in a little statement about your own city when its up against a significantly smaller city, like the example I provided.

Quote:
See clear sign of pretentiousness is when you do it and don't even know you are doing it.
Okay sure. This is good advice for you to even take from yourself.

Quote:
Austin people isn't said to have Austitude for nothing.
Dude you are probably the only Texan who would sit there smugly and try to say that Austin peeps don't have Tude.

And anyone who has been to Austin knows that the bigger cities have nothing to worry about.
The "Austitude" you speak of are people from Austin who are constantly annoyed by the people who are "trying" to be hip, when they are looking foolishly ridiculous. Like the mayor when he went into the restaurant where I worked and he mentioned just about every stupid band like Kings of Leon, just to try and be "cool" with the younger crowd. Needless to say we all just looked at him like he was full of it. Yeah, I agree there is that attitude and for a very good reason. But that it makes the city as a whole pretentious, no I disagree. Austin people are about as nice as it gets.

Besides, in the 12.5 years I lived in Austin never did anyone ever mention "austitude." I've only heard it on the internet. sounds kinda dumb really.

Last edited by migol84; 05-13-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.