U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:41 PM

12,459 posts, read 17,948,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Fair enough, but IMO, there aren't world class hotels in New Orleans. Nice hotels with nice amenities, sure but world class, I don't think so.
Pavillion? Monteleone? Windsor Court? Roosevelt? Ritz-Carlton? I have traveled the world, and would certainly deem these world-class. Moreover, that just scratches the surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

509 posts, read 489,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Pavillion? Monteleone? Windsor Court? Roosevelt? Ritz-Carlton? I have traveled the world, and would certainly deem these world-class. Moreover, that just scratches the surface.
Ok fine, they have a few "world class" hotels.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:13 AM

12,459 posts, read 17,948,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Ok fine, they have a few "world class" hotels.
Because you conceded the point so graciously, +1 for you.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:21 AM

509 posts, read 489,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Because you conceded the point so graciously, +1 for you.
Thanks. I'll return the favor.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM
N69

75 posts, read 12,803 times
Economy- Jacksonville

Culture- Jacksonville

Amentities-Jacksonville

Tourism-I don't care

Greenspace, Parks, access to water-Jacksonville

Public Transportation-Jacksonville

Weather-Jacksonville

Proximity-Jacksonville

I don't like anything about New Orleans and find it to be overhyped and quite dumpy with hordes of crime (my friend was robbed of his I.D and wallet in French Quarter) and disgusting looking water. There's nothing world class about it either, thats why there's no AAA Diamond Guide for its food or Michelin, or any top ranking hotels.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:38 PM

10,449 posts, read 7,632,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N69 View Post
Economy- Jacksonville

Culture- Jacksonville

Amentities-Jacksonville

Tourism-I don't care

Greenspace, Parks, access to water-Jacksonville

Public Transportation-Jacksonville

Weather-Jacksonville

Proximity-Jacksonville

I don't like anything about New Orleans and find it to be overhyped and quite dumpy with hordes of crime (my friend was robbed of his I.D and wallet in French Quarter) and disgusting looking water. There's nothing world class about it either, thats why there's no AAA Diamond Guide for its food or Michelin, or any top ranking hotels.
I won't even waste my time...

Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 PM
N69

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I won't even waste my time...
Besides the regional cuisine in New Orleans, which is an acquired taste because I hated the food there, there is little else that can be defended about the city.

Compared to Jacksonville, which may not have its own unique cuisine or as much tourism. New Orleans is getting left behind with the 20th century, they're comparable today on size, tomorrow they wont be.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I'll disregard the foolish ratings.

Just because your friend was vulnerable enough and got robbed, don't blame it on the city. That happens every 20 minutes in Jacksonville. ( http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...lock-2010.aspx ) Ahh the French Quarter, is notorious for exposed and easily accessible tourist. Happens in every city.
Nothing world-class? Yet people come from all over the world to New Orleans.
The food, you'd have to be a fool to say that, and it seems you very well may be one.
Quote:
Besides the regional cuisine in New Orleans, which is an acquired taste because I hated the food there, there is little else that can be defended about the city.

Compared to Jacksonville, which may not have its own unique cuisine or as much tourism. New Orleans is getting left behind with the 20th century, they're comparable today on size, tomorrow they wont be.
You have not been paying attention to the city and its forward steps. I'm just gonna stop entertaining this party right here.

I have to ask one question. What parts did you visit?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:11 PM
N69

Quote:
I'll disregard the foolish ratings.
Why? Because your city doesn't rank with others? Who publish rankings and ratings putting tiny New Orleans with big dogs like San Francisco and New York and others on world class attributes?
Quote:
Just because your friend was vulnerable enough and got robbed, don't blame it on the city. That happens every 20 minutes in Jacksonville.
Vulnerability? I wish it was vulnerability, but it was a streetside theft case more so. So taking your wallet out and about to open the wallet when someone running from behind you snags it real fast and runs away with it (which is cowardly) is vulnerability?

New Orleans is one of the worst places for crime. One of the worst in the world at that. Overall safe cities don't have articles on articles published about how dangerous they are, especially articles like this one: Top 5 Most Dangerous Cities for live of the World | Wonders-World.com
Quote:
The food, you'd have to be a fool to say that, and it seems you very well may be one.
Oh really? That's a communist way to think about things. You think everyone has the same taste in food? Yeah, I can do without Gumbo.
Quote:
Nothing world-class? Yet people come from all over the world to New Orleans.
Why don't you show me the tourism numbers from international visitors for New Orleans to prove it. It doesn't even beat San Antonio, which normally only gets international visitors from only Mexico.

If you have no proof, then you shouldn't be defending, especially against the opinions of others.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Why? Because your city doesn't rank with others? Who publish rankings and ratings putting tiny New Orleans with big dogs like San Francisco and New York and others on world class attributes?

Vulnerability? I wish it was vulnerability, but it was a streetside theft case more so. So taking your wallet out and about to open the wallet when someone running from behind you snags it real fast and runs away with it (which is cowardly) is vulnerability?

New Orleans is one of the worst places for crime. One of the worst in the world at that. Overall safe cities don't have articles on articles published about how dangerous they are, especially articles like this one: Top 5 Most Dangerous Cities for live of the World | Wonders-World.com

Oh really? That's a communist way to think about things. You think everyone has the same taste in food? Yeah, I can do without Gumbo.

Why don't you show me the tourism numbers from international visitors for New Orleans to prove it. It doesn't even beat San Antonio, which normally only gets international visitors from only Mexico.

If you have no proof, then you shouldn't be defending, especially against the opinions of others.
I was referring to the way you chose Jacksonville for everything, including public transit () and "don't care for tourism" because NOLA would win that category.

Yes, not looking where you are in a city you are unfamiliar with while fooling with money, that is vulnerability.

No, read those 2 small paragraphs again. They don't even mention crime in your faulty resource. New Orleans is not even in the top 10, and was even outside of the top 25 in previous years.
most-dangerous-cities-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

I don't care for your opinion of the food, but you cannot argue the fact that New Orleans is one of the best food cities in the country. Oh and look, a list about the best food cities in the world, and stinky old New Orleans is on it. 20 Best Food Cities | Food & Wine

Cannot find exactly how many international visitors it had, but there was 10 million tourists in 2010, majority of the international tourists come from Central and South America, Mexico as well. Not to mention the people I've seen visiting and I can hear the language they speak or their European accent.

Do you have proof that JAX has better public transit? No, so you have no reason to defend JAX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City