Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:40 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times

Advertisements

When the subject of Minneapolis ethnic enclaves comes up (not too often around here), I actually do think of Somalians. Dunno why or where it comes from. I do read papers and listen to NPR. But, yup, it's a quick association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 02:41 PM

97 posts, read 145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
Kinda inspired from the Irish-American city thread, what cities in the U.S. are most known for what ethnic groups? My list, trying not to overlap any groups would be like this:

Boston - Irish
New York - Jews
Philadelphia - Italians
Washington, D.C. - African-Americans
Miami - Cubans
San Francisco - Chinese
Chicago - Polish

And maybe Milwaukee gets German, and Los Angeles Mexican? What do you guys think?
Well put except for Chicago I would say Blacks, well maybe Chicago and Atlanta.

Jews = everywhere

Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
For the Bay Area as a whole, the largest non-white ethnic groups, in order:

1. Mexican
2. Chinese
3. Filipino
4. Indian
5. Vietnamese
6. Salvadoran
7. Japanese
8. Korean
9. Nicaraguan
10. Guatemalan
oops...I forgot to include the black population in this list, but it would be in between Chinese and Filipino (though it is a little different from the others in the list, as "black" is not a nationality).

Old 05-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
oops...I forgot to include the black population in this list, but it would be in between Chinese and Filipino (though it is a little different from the others in the list, as "black" is not a nationality).
I may need to move to the bay area soon =)

Old 05-14-2011, 05:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
One of the things that I did find surprising about SF is, despite its being generally well-integrated, is its remarkable lack of a black middle class. Oakland more than makes up for it, though.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Perception
NYC - Jewish/Italian/Black
Philadelphia - black/Italian
Boston - irish
DC - Black
Atlanta - Black
Houston - mexican
Chicago - Black/Irish/Polish
L.A. - Mexican/Chineese/Black
SF - chinese
Miami - Cuban
Detroit - Jet black

Actuality
NYC - Carribean/PuertoRican/Dominican/Italian...Everything
Philadelphia - Black/Italian/Puerto Rican/Irish
Boston - Irish/Italian/west inidan
DC - Black/white/salvadoran
ATL - Black/White
Houston - Mexican/African American/Nigerian
Chicago - Black/Mexican/PuertoRican/Polish/Irish
L.A.- Mexican/Central American/ Armenian/Chinese
SF - Chinese/White/Mexican
Miami - Cuban/Colombian/Hatian/LatinAmerican
Detroit - Black/MIddleEastern

mas23
Let me add Vietnamese to Houston as well with that.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:04 PM

I hear they have lots of Puerto Ricans in NYC.

Hey which cities have well known South Asian populations or identities?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Quite honestly i think very few would - Are they some dominant demographic in the area? It seems like it would be like saying Philly and Jamaicans because there is a sizable population. I honestly dont think either would come top of mind when thinking about the city and actually VERY far from it.
Hmong is probably the second or third largest ethnic group in St Paul proper. German would be first, the other large ones are Swedish, Hmong and Irish. St Paul is the center of the largest urban Hmong community in the western world.

The main thing I think is that people in the rest of the US don't really know that much about the Twin Cities in general. It is far from both of the coasts and is one of the least visited larger metros in the country. If we were right next to LA or NYC people would probably know that there are a lot of Hmong and Somalis here.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Hmong is probably the second or third largest ethnic group in St Paul proper. German would be first, the other large ones are Swedish, Hmong and Irish. St Paul is the center of the largest urban Hmong community in the western world.

The main thing I think is that people in the rest of the US don't really know that much about the Twin Cities in general. It is far from both of the coasts and is one of the least visited larger metros in the country. If we were right next to LA or NYC people would probably know that there are a lot of Hmong and Somalis here.

How large is this Hmong and Somali population? are we talking 100's of thousands or 10's of thousands - there is a huge difference...

There are 10's of thousands of Koreans in North Wales/Blue Bell PA or 10's of thousands of Mexicans in the Kennett Sq area of PA that are highly concentrated but neither would be notable mainly because they are relatively small and isolated populations.

Many of the other groups being discussed are 500K-1million plus in other cities and I think that is the point

Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
edison, nj or queens, nyc for indians, pakistanis, nepalese, sri-lankans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City