Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 03:43 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,789,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
OK, admittedly New Orleans is not the best example, but Charleston is low country nontheless. Of course going inland is buildable. But the immediate vicinity not so much. And I really just don't foresee a 75 mile corridor of dense surburbia along I-26, the barrier islands being built up with highrises like South Florida, or tall skyscrapers being erected in downtown Charleston. It's never going to be major leagues like Miami or Atlanta. Charleston is in a league all its own.
There are building restrictions within the city of Charleston and many people there are concerned about overdevelopment and don't want their city to become much larger which would destroy the historical nature of it. I don't think they want the Myrtle Beach kind of development all over the state's coastline either. Charleston isn't allowed to built any high rise condos because of the height restrictions to protect the historic atmosphere. The only other city with such a height restriction is Washington DC and most of the growth is in the suburbs and that law actually limits housing stock within DC.

Do y'all consider Colorado Springs to be a major city already? If not then its definitely on its way there and its already continuous development from there all the way past Denver to Boulder.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 AM

10,722 posts, read 23,652,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Do y'all consider Colorado Springs to be a major city already? If not then its definitely on its way there and its already continuous development from there all the way past Denver to Boulder.
I'd call it medium sized in the same league as Tucson, Albuquerque, and Boise. But yes there is pretty much a contiguous corridor of suburban development along I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver. Oddly enough the Springs is not part of the Denver CSA which includes Boulder's metro area.

I never understood how they determine these as they divide Boulder from Denver's MSA even though it is solidly within the metro area of Denver realistically. They divide Raleigh and Durham into separate MSA's too which I also find odd, wouldn't RDU airport and the Research Triangle Park suggest otherwise? By contast Dallas and Fort Worth are in the same MSA, which would make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver...atistical_area

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-24-2019 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 12:36 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,377,078 times
Raleigh is the city that's most likely on it's way to becoming a major city

For areas that currently have a MSA under 1 million that have the best chance

Grand Rapids, MI (already at 1 million)
Tuscon, AZ
Greenville, SC
Huntsville, AL
Colorado Springs
Augusta, GA
Provo, Utah

Old 03-26-2019, 07:27 PM

5,320 posts, read 5,046,642 times
Quote:
I'd call it medium sized in the same league as Tucson, Albuquerque, and Boise. But yes there is pretty much a contiguous corridor of suburban development along I-25 between Colorado Springs and Denver. Oddly enough the Springs is not part of the Denver CSA which includes Boulder's metro area.

I never understood how they determine these as they divide Boulder from Denver's MSA even though it is solidly within the metro area of Denver realistically. They divide Raleigh and Durham into separate MSA's too which I also find odd, wouldn't RDU airport and the Research Triangle Park suggest otherwise? By contast Dallas and Fort Worth are in the same MSA, which would make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver...atistical_area
There's a pretty distinct line where COS stops (Palmer Divide Road to be exact). It's 25 miles to Castle Rock with no development at all along the interstate and only residential zoning along other roads. Even in Castle Rock there's a gap between it and Denver.

There's probably several thousand poor, sad souls that commute to Denver for work from the Springs, but I wouldn't call the the two metros connected, especially when you look at traffic from Denver to the Springs. I don't know if they will in the future either. They've enacted a no build zone along the interstate and it's nice residential lots in the areas around that.

Colorado Springs is a good example of a city that quickly advanced from the small city to medium city stage rapidly during the 60s-90s. Will it continue that trend, where it busts over 1M people and starts to develop bigger infrastructure and amenities? It could, but I'd think it probably won't.

Reason being is that it's walled in on the north by Black Forest (not going to be developed) and the above mentioned no build zone. On the south it's blocked by Ft. Carson. That leaves expansion eastward, which is possible but the city certainly isn't building infrastructure for that and it quickly becomes less desirable (windier, drier, and farther away) the further east you go.

It'll dense up, but given that downtown hasn't had any big commercial building growth in decades, it looks like it won't be Denver Jr in this regard.

What my hopes are is that the ring around Pikes Peak, from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek to Canyon City, gets developed and populated instead of blah growth eastward.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
There's a pretty distinct line where COS stops (Palmer Divide Road to be exact). It's 25 miles to Castle Rock with no development at all along the interstate and only residential zoning along other roads. Even in Castle Rock there's a gap between it and Denver.

There's probably several thousand poor, sad souls that commute to Denver for work from the Springs, but I wouldn't call the the two metros connected, especially when you look at traffic from Denver to the Springs. I don't know if they will in the future either. They've enacted a no build zone along the interstate and it's nice residential lots in the areas around that.

Colorado Springs is a good example of a city that quickly advanced from the small city to medium city stage rapidly during the 60s-90s. Will it continue that trend, where it busts over 1M people and starts to develop bigger infrastructure and amenities? It could, but I'd think it probably won't.

Reason being is that it's walled in on the north by Black Forest (not going to be developed) and the above mentioned no build zone. On the south it's blocked by Ft. Carson. That leaves expansion eastward, which is possible but the city certainly isn't building infrastructure for that and it quickly becomes less desirable (windier, drier, and farther away) the further east you go.

It'll dense up, but given that downtown hasn't had any big commercial building growth in decades, it looks like it won't be Denver Jr in this regard.

What my hopes are is that the ring around Pikes Peak, from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek to Canyon City, gets developed and populated instead of blah growth eastward.
I still find it odd that COS metro area isn't combined with Denver's in a CSA. I've sat in traffic on I-25 in Monument where the lanes drop from three to two with stop and go all the way to in Castle Rock where more lanes pick up again. True there is a scenic open gap there, but I feel it's more or less a lengthy suburban corridor along the Front Range from Fort Collins down to Pueblo.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:04 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,021,433 times
Are Canadian cities included? Can we count Mississauga as a its own city versus being a "suburb" of Toronto?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6009...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-26-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Are Canadian cities included? Can we count Mississauga as a its own city versus being a "suburb" of Toronto?

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6009...7i16384!8i8192
Wow! Looked it up on wiki, Mississauga has 720,000 people (similar in size to Denver, Seattle, & Boston). That's a damn huge suburb. Look's kind of like Bellevue, WA, I dig those buildings with the curves.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:18 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,021,433 times
Quote:
Wow! Looked it up on wiki, Mississauga has 720,000 people (similar in size to Denver, Seattle, & Boston). That's a damn huge suburb. Look's kind of like Bellevue, WA, I dig those buildings with the curves.
Yeah, it's pretty massive. Being that close to Toronto though, it often gets overlooked.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 PM

5,320 posts, read 5,046,642 times
Quote:
I still find it odd that COS metro area isn't combined with Denver's in a CSA. I've sat in traffic on I-25 in Monument where the lanes drop from three to two with stop and go all the way to in Castle Rock where more lanes pick up again. True there is a scenic open gap there, but I feel it's more or less a lengthy suburban corridor along the Front Range from Fort Collins down to Pueblo.
I don't know how they make these or who judges them, but I think there's a stronger case to combine COS with Pueblo than COS with Denver, yet they are all 3 distinct CSAs.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 AM

10,116 posts, read 15,789,862 times
Bentonville, Arkansas - home of Walmart HQ

Lake Charles, Louisiana - if the oil and gas boom continues. I think it has a more promising future than Lafayette

Key West, Florida - its growth is geographically restricted but it is very high profile for a city its size

Palm Springs, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.