Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

43 posts, read 104,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I have a feeling "sustainovation" is just another pollster account, but this time he says he lives in the Bay Area as well as NYC, in an attempt to give himself more credibility when bashing the Bay. Too bad that he loses all credibility every time he types.
*She

I'm not bashing the bay. I love the Bay (the whole Bay) probably more than anyone should. But San Francisco is no New York. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 PM

16,572 posts, read 27,266,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
These comments crack me up. Have you people ever BEEN here???? SJ and SF are 45 minutes apart. It really is full of the same people. I have many clients in SJ and just as many in SF. Our business DOES business with both cities. We are the same, sorry to break it to all of you.
...and that time would be shorter if there were no traffic.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I guess not, seeing as how it makes complete sense.
ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Please explain how it makes sense. You may explain at any time, I'll wait.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM

43 posts, read 104,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
...and that time would be shorter if there were no traffic.
It depends who's driving, really. And whether you take 280 or 101. 280 is faster but it takes you to the SFSU/Sunset district and that's really not where you'd most likely want to go. It can take anywhere from 40 mins to an hour.

But the point isn't how close they are, it's that until SF is compared with some other major city, San Jose is thought of by a lot of people as its ugly step sister. I've actually been asked by a San Franciscan in NY if San Jose was in the Bay Area.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:44 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Please explain how it makes sense. You may explain at any time, I'll wait.
I've drank an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone IPA since I posted that...hang on here.

Ahh...yes, Manhattan and Philadelphia are about the same distance apart as SF and SJ, right? There's that point. What else did I say....yeah, I went to SF for a week in March and asked around town about San Jose and people unanimously said there was no reason to go there.....but if you ask ANYONE who has lived in the Bay area about its economic viability, they will almost always, as if on cue, say "well, its Silicon Valley, so..."

So there.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I've drank an Arrogant Bastard and a Stone IPA since I posted that...hang on here.

Ahh...yes, Manhattan and Philadelphia are about the same distance apart as SF and SJ, right? There's that point. What else did I say....yeah, I went to SF for a week in March and asked around town about San Jose and people unanimously said there was no reason to go there.....but if you ask ANYONE who has lived in the Bay area about its economic viability, they will almost always, as if on cue, say "well, its Silicon Valley, so..."

So there.
You're just pulling stuff out of your ass now. I may not be in the Bay Area at the moment but I am a Bay Area native so I know better than what you're spewing.

The distance between Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and New York, New York is 82 miles

The distance between SF and SJ is 42 miles. Almost twice as close

Having lived in the Bay Area I can say that everything else you say, like your screwed up distance stat is false.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...?p1=179&p2=198
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...ces.html?n=224

Thanks for coming, have a nice day.

Last edited by Gentoo; 08-09-2011 at 11:51 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 11:19 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,553 times
Quote:
I guess not, seeing as how it makes complete sense.
Ever been here? You have a business here? You go to school here? You're statements are so incorrect. We've had this discussion. Work in Santa Clara live in San Ramon.. Work in Oakland live in Mill Valley.. Work in SF live in Hayward.. Work in Mt View live in Livermore.. Work in Pleasanton live in San Mateo.. Work in Berkeley live in SF.. Work in Palo Alto live in Castro Valley.. Live in Millbrae work in San Jose.. Live in SSF work in Hayward.. It's ALL around us. I know people who have, or I have, done these commutes and there are Many more examples.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napav View Post
NYC and Greenwich (hedge fund capital of the world) are 20 minutes apart, but you'd come across 50 San Franciscans who'd name drop "Silicon Valley" before you'd hear a single New Yorker drop Greenwich. People in this area always deride "sprawly/bland" San Jose, but the second San Franciscans want to compare San Francisco to one of the global giants, suddenly San Jose is this amazing place that is boosted endlessly and suddenly San Francisco.
Greenwich is nothing to drop. Take New London while your at it and stick it. SJ SF OAK are a trifecta. We don't cross state lines.. We don't change laws. It's the same.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustainovation View Post

But the point isn't how close they are, it's that until SF is compared with some other major city, San Jose is thought of by a lot of people as its ugly step sister. I've actually been asked by a San Franciscan in NY if San Jose was in the Bay Area.
Bull$$!+

We have the same news channels, in fact our ABC is FROM San Jose because SF lost their rights. You have no idea how little sense you are making by telling LIES.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:39 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,709,568 times
Quote:
What else did I say....yeah, I went to SF for a week in March and asked around town about San Jose and people unanimously said there was no reason to go there
If you asked me if it was worth a stop while you were being a tourist, I'd say no. Because there are not many tourist attractions there, and it would be a long haul to see more of the same..... Unless you really wanted to go to the Tech Museum, Computer History Museum or Egyptian Museum. Not sure it is worth the hour drive for a one week trip, there is plenty to see in SF, and if you left SF, Oakland and Berkeley are quick trips from SF in comparison.

I would tell you the same thing if you asked me if you should visit Albany, Santa Clara, Fremont, Cupertino, Walnut Creek, Orinda.... All of these areas are integral parts of the Bay Area, but not the first stop for vacationers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City