U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM

310 posts, read 323,450 times
expect postings = mindless drivel

Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,608,553 times
i suppose i could be more "mindful" or whatever you think you are on this board, that way in 20 years when i'm your age i can also be a 40 something year old with no wife or girlfriend.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 AM

310 posts, read 323,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i suppose i could be more "mindful" or whatever you think you are on this board, that way in 20 years when i'm your age i can also be a 40 something year old with no wife or girlfriend.
lol...wow, you're 7 years older than i was giving you.

anyway, good luck little troll...i think you're gonna need it. thanks for stalking btw...

Old 08-19-2011, 01:48 AM

825 posts, read 750,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post

anyway, good luck little troll...i think you're gonna need it. thanks for stalking btw...
Seriously, what's with all the trolls lately in the SF forum??? Can we keep this stuff in the city vs city subforum already?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 AM

6,913 posts, read 6,574,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
cupertino = san jose apparently to this senile old man
cupertino mayor = gilbert wong
san jose mayor = chuck reed
it then must follow that chuck reed is actually gilbert wong under a different alias. same person. since cupertino = san jose
cupertino incorporated as a city in 1955, san jose in 1850
1955 is the same as 1850. because san jose = cupertino

anybody interested in watching the cupertino sharks choke again next season. same city right? so you feel better about being overshadowed forever by san francisco =(

San Jose was never trying to be San Francisco... it was originally a farmer town that got upgraded to big town by Silicon Valley. All of the peninsula and the south bay used to be orchard country and was predominantly white and hispanic... the influx of asians is almost entirely due to SV. Places like Los Altos and Atherton used to have no cache whatsoever... the houses were normally priced. It's only because of the influx of new money that they became some of the most expensive real estate in the Bay. The technology industry doesn't lend itself to creating urban cities as the industry has little to do with the city itself.

Comparing it to San Francisco is being ignorant of what San Jose was and is... it was never trying to be SF lite. If you want SF then San Jose is clearly not for you.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:10 PM

21 posts, read 6,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrnner77 View Post
Hi everyone

I'm a college student about to graduate. I am having difficulty deciding on whether to move to San Francisco or NYC. I have spent the past 2 summers in NYC, so I am pretty familiar with the area, the climate, atmosphere, etc.

I have never been to San Francisco (or farther West than Chicago for that matter) and I'm a little hesitant to move out there without ever traveled there. I have many friends, however, that have been there before / lived there and say they would love it.

I guess I am wondering what you think were the +s and -s for each city? -- cultural, climate, mass transportation, living expenses, etc. -- I am far too familiar with how expensive NYC is and I have heard SF is a bit on the same scale, but I was wondering if there were any comparisons and also how reasonable it would be to find a nice apartment in a nice area with a decent amount of income.

Of particular interest and importance to me as well is the safety of SF -- being that again any sort of terrorism, crime, etc. Part of the appeal of staying out of NYC is feeling like I am not living in such a targeted area where I feel like something bad will happen at any time, however on the flip side it is the most heavily guarded city in US. Living in a city such as SF that isn't as mentioned in the news as terrorism targets etc make me nervous about how much precautionary measures the city has taken to secure itself.

Thanks so much for your help!

I'm probably about your age (I'm 23) and I currently live in LA but am moving to SF by the first week of September. Like you, I'd never been to SF, but I have an ancestor whom I'm obsessed with and I want to be there so I can learn more about her life. Anyway, because of my father's job, we often lived bi-coastal, between LA and NYC, and I have to say I love NYC. I was living there on 9/11 but it didn't affect me to the point where I'm scared to be there because of terrorism. It's a lively, fast-paced city with always something to do there and lots of friendly people. I think NYC is like "the bay area" in that NYC has 5 boroughs to choose from and get to each easily by subway and city bus. Brooklyn is booming. I know many people in the entertainment industry and in the financial world who have left Manhattan to buy in Downtown Brooklyn, right near the Brooklyn Bridge. That's a GREAT place for a young person to live. Rents are like $2,000 a month but with that you get a new high-rise doorman building and a great view of the city.

From what I know about SF, it's not as fast-paced but still lively. And the fog is good for a girl's skin. I know there are unsafe areas, but I just won't go there without a big burly guy with me lol. But that goes for some NYC neighborhoods, too. I have a feeling you won't need to venture to those areas unless it's for sight-seeing.

Good luck during this exciting time!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,757,531 times
I think the Bay Area, as a whole, and NYC are more comparable. Many people make the mistake of comparing SF to the entirety of NYC. Of course, SF is going to look much tinier compared to all five boroughs of New York. In reality, SF and Manhattan are very comparable. Manhattan only has about double the population of SF. Both SF and Manhattan are the cultural and financial hubs of their respective metro areas. SF, like Manhattan, has the metro's largest Chinatown. Both SF and Manhattan are like ultra dense mini-cities with a larger city which is less dense. Oakland is very comparable to Brooklyn's relationship with Manhattan in the fact that it is understood to be grittier and a cheaper place to live than SF. Brooklyn like Oakland, historically has a larger Black population than SF and Manhattan. Brooklyn and Oakland are more of the cultural centers for African American culture in their metro areas, although Manhattan has Harlem and SF has/had neighborhoods like Fillmore and Hunter's Point. However, Asians and Whites are predominant ethnic groups in SF whereas Hispanics and Whites are the main groups in Manhattan. Both SF and Manhattan are referred to as "The City" by the inhabitants of the immediately surrounding less densely populated cities. San Jose is like Staten Island, in terms of geographical location, and in the fact that it is more quiet, suburban and spread out. Vallejo, although much more suburban and much less densely populated, would be the equivalent of the Bronx out of geographical location in relationship to SF. Vallejo is also like the Bronx in the fact that the city, historically, has a tough reputation and a higher demographic percentage of Blacks and Hispanics compared to SF. Ultimately, these comparisons are obviously not airtight. The cities surrounding SF are, on average, much smaller, much less built up vertically and less densely populated than Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 PM

3,254 posts, read 3,465,077 times
I agree... But what is Marin? CT? Long island? Joisey?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I think the Bay Area, as a whole, and NYC are more comparable. Many people make the mistake of comparing SF to the entirety of NYC. Of course, SF is going to look much tinier compared to all five boroughs of New York. In reality, SF and Manhattan are very comparable. Manhattan only has about double the population of SF. Both SF and Manhattan are the cultural and financial hubs of their respective metro areas. SF, like Manhattan, has the metro's largest Chinatown. Both SF and Manhattan are like ultra dense mini-cities with a larger city which is less dense. Oakland is very comparable to Brooklyn's relationship with Manhattan in the fact that it is understood to be grittier and a cheaper place to live than SF. Brooklyn like Oakland, historically has a larger Black population than SF and Manhattan. Brooklyn and Oakland are more of the cultural centers for African American culture in their metro areas, although Manhattan has Harlem and SF has/had neighborhoods like Fillmore and Hunter's Point. However, Asians and Whites are predominant ethnic groups in SF whereas Hispanics and Whites are the main groups in Manhattan. Both SF and Manhattan are referred to as "The City" by the inhabitants of the immediately surrounding less densely populated cities. San Jose is like Staten Island, in terms of geographical location, and in the fact that it is more quiet, suburban and spread out. Vallejo, although much more suburban and much less densely populated, would be the equivalent of the Bronx out of geographical location in relationship to SF. Vallejo is also like the Bronx in the fact that the city, historically, has a tough reputation and a higher demographic percentage of Blacks and Hispanics compared to SF. Ultimately, these comparisons are obviously not airtight. The cities surrounding SF are, on average, much smaller, much less built up vertically and less densely populated than Queens, Brooklyn and The Bronx.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,608,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAve2OakLand View Post

40 + no wife + no girlfriend.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:04 AM

954 posts, read 635,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I agree... But what is Marin? CT? Long island? Joisey?
I'd say, due to it's wealth, it would be closest to Greenwich. Both are for the really rich people who want to be close to the city yet have a nice house in the ritzy and green suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City