U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2011, 04:38 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 291,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's funny. When I studied in France, the very first question people asked me was "Are you from Harlem?" ou en francais "Vous etes d'Harlem?" When I answered in the negative, the very next question was "Brooklyn?" I mentored Arab, African and some white students in Le Blanc Mesnil and they knew all about TRL, Biggie Smalls, "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy, Fabolous, and 50 Cent. Many of them sported Yankee fitteds with doo-rags underneath (even the white kids). I wish I could go back and poll those kids on what they know about San Francisco. I bet it would be zilch.

NYC's influence is incredibly strong across the globe. It's the first city people think of when the US is mentioned. San Francisco is really an afterthought in comparison.
Really? That is an interesting story man. I watch many travel shows and see NYY stuff everywhere..... haiti, cuba, japan, etc. And I am a mets fan so that is saying a lot for me to admit it.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM

5,439 posts, read 2,450,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
No. I am talking about looking homeless, not having a job and loving it, playing hackie sack, camping, hiking and stuffing their faces with organic granola. It's all good though bro, it's hella.
Yeah, camping and hiking are such loathsome activities...

Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM

16,739 posts, read 9,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure there are few Metallica CDs floating around there, but that's just a hunch.
Metallica? Really? You're going to compare one, old-ass 1980s rock band to a whole sub-culture that developed and grew up in the Boroughs and went global? You're really going to compare Metallica to Afrika Bambataa and the Zulu Nation? The Native Tongues? The whole Hip-Hop Movement that even Asian kids in California try to get down with? Getthef*ckoutta here!

Besides, Metallica's from Los Angeles, not San Francisco. You guys can't seem to have a City vs. City discussion without dragging a whole entire state into it.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:44 PM

672 posts, read 941,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
PLEASE no more hip hop talk. Theres enough of those threads.....
Exactly!

When a tread has to devolve into one side using Hip Hop as an example, you know that side has lost.

Hip hop is dead. Period. Never bring up that monkey sh*t again.

Justin Bieber is #1 on youtube (global SF invention BTW), indicating more cultural impact than pathethic hip hop that these fools hold so dear.

Last edited by Rhymes with Best Coast; 11-02-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 291,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And yet if it werent for San Francisco, your precious rappers would be wearing polyester slacks.

LOL.

Furthrmore, Brooklyn is a d-list nobody compared to SF when it comes to business. San Francisco is a destination business city, not a place you might drive through on your from the airport to Manhattan.

Nice rap songs tho.
I never mentioned rap music of any kind. Stop lumping all posters against you together. Bajanyankee mentioned rappers, not me!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Metallica? Really? You're going to compare one, old-ass 1980s rock band to a whole sub-culture that developed and grew up in the Boroughs and went global? You're really going to compare Metallica to Afrika Bambataa and the Zulu Nation? The Native Tongues? The whole Hip-Hop Movement that even geeky Asian kids in California try to get down with? Getthef*ckoutta here!

Besides, Metallica's from Los Angeles, not San Francisco. You guys can't seem to have a City vs. City discussion without dragging a whole entire state into it.

Ah, I knew that would come up. They formed in LA, but they re-located to SF before recording their first album. They consider themselves a Bay Area band, and they've sold more albums than all the artists you listed combined. If they woke up with Jay-Z's worldwide albums sales they'd shoot themselves.

And speaking of dragging different areas into the equation--I thought we were just talking about Brooklyn? Afrikaa Bambataa is from the South Bronx.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM

100 posts, read 62,696 times
Quote:

I notice that with Californians: whenever their city can't win, they bring in the whole state.

Ok, how about we bring in the rest of the Northeast and non-California US for us. See how that works, considering everyone loves us and people increasingly hate Mexifornia.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:50 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,574,511 times
Quote:
That's funny. When I studied in France, the very first question people asked me was "Are you from Harlem?" ou en francais "Vous etes d'Harlem?" When I answered in the negative, the very next question was "Brooklyn?" I mentored Arab, African and some white students in Le Blanc Mesnil and they knew all about TRL, Biggie Smalls, "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy, Fabolous, and 50 Cent. Many of them sported Yankee fitteds with doo-rags underneath (even the white kids). I wish I could go back and poll those kids on what they know about San Francisco. I bet it would be zilch.

NYC's influence is incredibly strong across the globe. It's the first city people think of when the US is mentioned. San Francisco is really an afterthought in comparison.

I noticed you didn't address the point... Probably because you know its true rofl.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post
I notice that with Californians: whenever their city can't win, they bring in the whole state.

Ok, how about we bring in the rest of the Northeast and non-California US for us. See how that works, considering everyone loves us and people increasingly hate Mexifornia.
Metallica is a San Francisco band. Of the 4 members from their debut album, three were from the Bay Area. They recorded their first there.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

16,739 posts, read 9,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philynyallday View Post

You could actually just add up all of the Metros; no need to bring in all of Pennsylvania or all of New York State. You'd get a larger population than the whole entire state of California, which is of course far larger teritorially. 22Mil in the NYC Tri-State, 8Mil in the DMV/Bmore Region, 6Mil in Philly, and 4Mil in Boston. That's 40 million just in the cities alone compared to 37 million for a whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.