Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,674 times

Advertisements

San Francisco over Brooklyn for me without any question (in a New York minute)..same goes for Big Daddy Manhattan vs SF. I respect the East Coast, but the West is homer.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:09 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
San Francisco over Brooklyn for me without any question (in a New York minute)..same goes for Big Daddy Manhattan vs SF. I respect the East Coast, but the West is homer.
Yeah, I can understand that. Especially if you need a city like Portland, Seattle or San Francisco where there aren't as many *ahem* "undesirables."

This is vibrancy after all. Anything else is, well, uncivilized.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.files.wo...sop-poster.jpg

Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
I'm sure there are pics of SF's annual gay pride parade floating around out there. It's a pretty gigantic event.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:10 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
On a completely subjective topic like, "What city's more fun???" then yes, SF can compete against Brooklyn. That's just a matter of opinion. The problem comes in when SF boosters say, "We're so dense, denser means more urban, more urban means more vibrant, more vibrant means more fun!!!," but then not want to adhere to that logic when confronted with a place that's denser and more urban. If we were to accept 18Montclair's logic, Brooklyn is way more fun than San Francisco because it's way denser and hence more vibrant.

In my opinion, there's really no comparing anywhere to Brooklyn, New York City. That includes London and Paris, two cities I've also lived in during exchange programs. The energy, hustle and bustle, grittiness, diversity, architecture, and bohemian quality of it all make it a damn near perfect urban living experience. I lived in Manhattan as well and it just doesn't have that "flavor" to it. Brooklyn just has so much flavor. Just take the West Indian Day parade, for example. Where else in America are you going to see literally one million people in the streets waving flags and serving every cuisine from Antigua to Nevis?
Please stop.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM

It really would be nice to see a comprehensive list of Brooklyn attractions...and by Brooklyn attractions I don't mean "attractions with stunning views of the Manhattan skyline" if you catch my drift.

So far we've got the Brooklyn Museum, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden, and Coney Island.

Queens has...the stadium where the Mets play?

Having dense and colorful neighborhoods, and fine public transit, is fine and all, but that only goes so far, especially when you're trying to pass off the outer boroughs as stand-alone entities that can take out a beloved city like San Francisco by themselves. Places of interest. SF has them, and Manhattan obviously has them. Brooklyn? Queens?

Old 11-03-2011, 03:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
The two of you are keeping the thread civil and are willing to have a convo. I wish more west coast/californian posters were like you, thanks.
Exactly. Now if we can only do something about people posting things like this:

"The culture is repulsive in SF and the people make me sick. The climate is monotone just like the people."

Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I'm sure there are pics of SF's annual gay pride parade floating around out there. It's a pretty gigantic event.
That's cute. But nothing beats the energy of Bacchanal. There's of course the J'Ouvert before Labor Day, which would be a culture shock to the unitiated on this Board, but then there's the whole process of gearing up for Labor Day. The shopowners on Flatbush Avenue seasoning their meats. The families along the Eastern Parkway draping the boulevard with every flag. The smell of roti in the air. Sweet soca and calypso coming out of every brownstone. It's truly something special. Not to mention the fact that there are more attendees than there are residents of the city of San Francisco. You really can't compare Pride Day in SF, a relatively nascent phenomenon, a cultural event we've been having since 1789 to mark the end of the sugar cane harvest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqizN...88EBF&index=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_5L...eature=related

Old 11-03-2011, 03:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's cute. But nothing beats the energy of Bacchanal. There's of course the J'Ouvert before Labor Day, which would be a culture shock to the unitiated on this Board, but then there's the whole process of gearing up for Labor Day. The shopowners on Flatbush Avenue seasoning their meats. The families along the Eastern Parkway draping the boulevard with every flag. The smell of roti in the air. Sweet soca and calypso coming out of every brownstone. It's truly something special. Not to mention the fact that there are more attendees than there are residents of the city of San Francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqizN...88EBF&index=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH_5L...eature=related
Obviously we have different opinions, but then again that's why this country is great.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Exactly. Now if we can only do something about people posting things like this:

"The culture is repulsive in SF and the people make me sick. The climate is monotone just like the people."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City