Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 04:29 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
All of the kids you see wearing rags with fitted caps? That's Brooklyn, son.
This is nothing.

Denim and Jeans were invented in San Francisco by a man named Levi Strauss. Do kids in Brooklyn wear denim? I thought so.

Think before you type.

Quote:
I can also tell you that NOBODY's imitating any styles in San Francisco.
Wrong again.

Casual office attire is now a worldwide phenom and it started in the Bay. Youd still be wearing ties if it werent for us.

Your welcome.

Quote:
Brooklyn has a greater impact on the rest of the world (including SF) than SF.
We already know that's not true.

SF city-based financial institutions manage nearly $3 Trillion in assets.

NEXT.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
PLEASE no more hip hop talk. Theres enough of those threads.....

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is nothing.

Denim and Jeans were invented in San Francisco by a man named Levi Strauss. Do kids in Brooklyn wear denim? I thought so.

Think before you type.

Wrong again.

Casual office attire is now a worldwide phenom and it started in the Bay. Youd still be wearing ties if it werent for us.

Your welcome.

We already know that's not true.

SF city-based financial institutions manage nearly $3 Trillion in assets.

NEXT.
Levis is low quality, it goes together with ppl who watch nascar and shop at wal mart. How is that for elitism???

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I am on your side bajanyankee, but I do have to disagree with this. SF is responsible for one type of culture and that is hippie culture. SF led the hippie movement back in the 60's and it has not stopped. However, other than the hippie movement this is their main contribution, if ppl consider it a contribution.

If by hippie culture you mean vegetarianism, the green movement, etc then yea it is a major contribution. Name a major city in the world that is not making an effort to go green.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There are kids in the Bay Area and all over the world right now bumping to Watch the Throne and the Blueprint 3. The music given to you by the boy Shawn Carter who came from that BK Borough. I can tell you that NOBODY's listening to anything coming out of San Francisco. All of the kids you see wearing rags with fitted caps? That's Brooklyn, son. I can also tell you that NOBODY's imitating any styles in San Francisco. Brooklyn has a greater impact on the rest of the world (including SF) than SF.
You sure about that? I'm pretty sure there are few Metallica CDs floating around there, but that's just a hunch.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:34 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Levis is low quality, it goes together with ppl who watch nascar and shop at wal mart. How is that for elitism???

Levi is not low quality, never was. It is however a cultural icon known the world over. "american jeans" = Levis

6,914 posts, read 14,744,821 times
Quote:

Where do you come up with this stuff.

Anyway, this discussion's getting pretty off-topic...

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If by hippie culture you mean vegetarianism, the green movement, etc then yea it is a major contribution. Name a major city in the world that is not making an effort to go green.
No. I am talking about looking homeless, not having a job and loving it, playing hackie sack, camping, hiking and stuffing their faces with organic granola. It's all good though bro, it's hella.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If you ignore that NYC bit the last 10 years of its street culture from LA and the South then you might have a point.
That's funny. When I studied in France, the very first question people asked me was "Are you from Harlem?" ou en francais "Vous etes d'Harlem?" When I answered in the negative, the very next question was "Brooklyn?" I mentored Arab, African and some white students in Le Blanc Mesnil and they knew all about TRL, Biggie Smalls, "Do or Die" Bed-Stuy, Fabolous, and 50 Cent. Many of them sported Yankee fitteds with doo-rags underneath (even the white kids). I wish I could go back and poll those kids on what they know about San Francisco. I bet it would be zilch.

NYC's influence is incredibly strong across the globe. It's the first city people think of when the US is mentioned. San Francisco is really an afterthought in comparison.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
And yet if it werent for San Francisco, your precious rappers would be wearing polyester slacks.

LOL.

Furthrmore, Brooklyn is a d-list nobody compared to SF when it comes to business. San Francisco is a destination business city, not a place you might drive through on your from the airport to Manhattan.

Nice rap songs tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City