Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:14 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times

Advertisements

BTW, Washington is awesome. I love it's beauty. Hardly ANYTHING in the U.S. compares to the natural beauty that surrounds Seattle. So, comparing Tulsa to Seattle is ridiculous in terms of scenic beauty.

I will restate that Tulsa is a pretty nice option though. There's a lot of beauty there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 PM

79 posts, read 238,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
How about YOU get out more. The poster you responded to didn't say that everything in Oklahoma was spectacular compared to WA. The poster merely inferred that they would be pleasantly surprised.

I live in Texas, and we frequently take trips to the mountains of SE Oklahoma. Although not as "spectacular" as the NW, the area is freaking awesome.

You're living off a stereotype of Oklahoma.

I agree. I've only been to Oklahoma once, back in 1995, but don't really remember it since I was just a kid. I would love to visit again. Try "Oklahoma mountains" on google images, and you'll see there are some beautiful places in Oklahoma.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
The main reason that most people don't know that eastern Oklahoma is so pretty is because their aren't really any major cities. Tulsa has some nice terrain but even Tulsa isn't that pretty by comparrison. A few other areas that people wouldn't expect in Oklahoma are the Arbuckle moutains, Turner falls, Mount Scott and for a little bit of a southwestern look, type in gloss mountains. I wouldn't say any of it's spectacular but it's a lot more than just endless prarie.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
Basically this choice boils down to this:

Tulsa Pros: Close to Mom

Seattle Pros: Every other reason on this goddamn earth

As an Asian person, why would you want to live in Oklahoma? You'd just be treated like a foreigner in every encounter in your daily lives. DONT BE STUPID.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:42 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
BTW, Washington is awesome. I love it's beauty. Hardly ANYTHING in the U.S. compares to the natural beauty that surrounds Seattle. So, comparing Tulsa to Seattle is ridiculous in terms of scenic beauty.

I will restate that Tulsa is a pretty nice option though. There's a lot of beauty there as well.
Agreed here. Plus Seattle has a pretty strong Asian population. Not sure why anyone would live in Oklahoma.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:09 PM

588 posts, read 1,319,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Agreed here. Plus Seattle has a pretty strong Asian population. Not sure why anyone would live in Oklahoma.
What an rash statement. There are plenty of reasons why one would live in Oklahoma. There are a ton of job opportunities here, the weather is always sunny and HOT. Winters are short. Cheap land. Everything is cheaper. Umm yeah.

Second of all, everybody back that bus up!

I have spent a significant amount of time in Both Oklahoma and Washington, Oklahoma City and Seattle respectively. I frequently visit Tulsa also and have lots of family in the Seattle area.

While Tulsa can't even compare to Seattle's beauty, Tulsa isn't all that bad. The surrounding area is quite pretty especially with the rolling hills. There is a nice large river going right through town. It isn't as bad as all the out of staters are saying.

With that being said, Seattle is spectacular. One of, if not the most beautiful cities in the USA.

As an Asian, I would strongly suggest Seattle. Not only is Seattle beautiful, you will be surrounded by plenty of Asian markets and other good Asian restaurants. The downtown is much nicer than Tulsa. You won't find any other Japanese folks in Tulsa but Seattle, you will fit in much better.

Another thing is the politics out here is kind of messed up. Very conservative and religious even in the cities.

With that said, Oklahoma isn't as bad as everybody says. Oklahoma is OK. It's not bad. It's not great, but there are plenty of other worse places around. I am enjoying my time here and I grew up in the San Francisco bay area. Just gotta keep an open mind out here. People are really friendly and things are pretty easy going, relaxed.
BTW, Tulsa has a bit more class than OKC however both cities are improving. OKC is improving much faster. Lots of new things going on here.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:26 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,597 times
Choice: Seattle and I live in Oklahoma.
I would also choose OKC over Tulsa for many reasons especially if Asian. OKC at least has a decent asian district with asian supermarkets, Lees etc.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
Interesting how so many people from Oklahoma say that Tulsa is nice but Seattle is spectacular and would probably be a better fit. Whereas there appear to be quite a few posters from Seattle or the west coast that feel the need to put down Tulsa based on sterotypes that are untrue. It's interesting that many people don't like any area that they consider southern because of what they consider a backward or ignorant culture. Yet that ignorant sterotype mentality is exactly what I see from people when they post something like, "be treated like a foreigner in every encounter in your daily lives. DONT BE STUPID," or "Not sure why anyone would live in Oklahoma". Which culture sounds more accepting and open minded based upon these posts?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
You asked for it you got it......................

LOL! That's all there is?

Oh wow. I see that level of beauty and forestation and water presence EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Sorry, but Tulsa's topography simply is nowhere near the same league as the pacific northwest. Nowhere close. Don't even bother. We've got not one, but two mountain ranges very closeby. Two major mountains just south of Seattle, and more north. Rivers, fishing, white river rafting, canoeing, mountain hiking, camping, snow-shoeing, boating galore, etc etc etc. There's a reason everyone who's traveled a lot and are avid outdoorsmen consider the pacific nw one of the great jewels of the nation and indeed the world.

So, topography and natural beauty, Seattle wins it. The only thing Tulsa may have is more sunny days, but even then, it is BALLS HOT in the summer and you simply cannot go outside for how hot it is. Living by going from one air conditions place to another. NO THANKS.

For cultural diversity, Seattle wins it (not to mention the Japanese presence here is astounding, my wife works for a Japanese company, speaks Japanese at work, and fits right in here).

Now, I understand family is important to Asian households and especially Japanese. I also understand that there's probably pressure on you to move to Tulsa to support her in her old age just like the Japanese and Chinese do. But you two are starting your own family and are American. Do what's right for your future. Only you can decide what that means.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
LOL! That's all there is?

Oh wow. I see that level of beauty and forestation and water presence EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Sorry, but Tulsa's topography simply is nowhere near the same league as the pacific northwest. Nowhere close. Don't even bother. We've got not one, but two mountain ranges very closeby. Two major mountains just south of Seattle, and more north. Rivers, fishing, white river rafting, canoeing, mountain hiking, camping, snow-shoeing, boating galore, etc etc etc. There's a reason everyone who's traveled a lot and are avid outdoorsmen consider the pacific nw one of the great jewels of the nation and indeed the world.

So, topography and natural beauty, Seattle wins it. The only thing Tulsa may have is more sunny days, but even then, it is BALLS HOT in the summer and you simply cannot go outside for how hot it is. Living by going from one air conditions place to another. NO THANKS.

For cultural diversity, Seattle wins it (not to mention the Japanese presence here is astounding, my wife works for a Japanese company, speaks Japanese at work, and fits right in here).

Now, I understand family is important to Asian households and especially Japanese. I also understand that there's probably pressure on you to move to Tulsa to support her in her old age just like the Japanese and Chinese do. But you two are starting your own family and are American. Do what's right for your future. Only you can decide what that means.
The cities of the Western United States are among the most Beautiful cities in the World , believe me because I have seen them all , SEATTLE is matchless ' now the method to my madness" was to just show you some of Oklahoma beauty which you assumed that the state of Oklahoma didn't have.

Seen
Los Angeles , San Diego , San Francisco , Oakland , Sacramento , San Jose , Portland ,Seattle , Anchorage , Fairbank , Honolulu need I go on?????

You go out and see this......
http://www.byways.org/explore/states/OK/

http://usparks.about.com/od/scenicro.../a/OKroads.htm

http://www.myscenicdrives.com/drives...a-scenic-drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talimena_Scenic_Drive

Last edited by Howest2008; 08-11-2011 at 09:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City