Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 08:47 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Is the skyline equivalent to how nice the city is or something?
No, but neither are suburban office parks not even in San Jose that are home to some tech companies equivalent to how nice the city is.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 PM

199 posts, read 355,125 times
Vancouver is the world's most liveable city according to The Economist

Liveable Vancouver | The Economist

Old 05-17-2011, 08:58 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
But people isolate parts of New York City too all the time to compare to other metros, and on down the line. People isolate Oakland and San Francisco all the time too.
And all attempts to isolate places in such close proximity are excercises in futility.

Once again, who the bloody hell lives like that?

Who doesnt enjoy the things around them because they've sworn themselves to only live, work and play within their city limits?

Such a supposition is totally unrealistic and outside the realm of normal human and social behavior.

BTW, Vancouver is also extremely undermined by stating that this comparison is a comparison of just city limits-which is a rule that even the OP broke when he brought up diversity in Richmond, BC.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Vancouver is the world's most liveable city according to The Economist
And so?

Old 05-17-2011, 09:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Vancouver ranks as the highest quality of life in all of the Americas, over San Francisco, Honolulu, New York, etc. That is how.
Now, comparing Vancouver, and isolating San Jose alone out of a solidified metro is an entirely different story. Having sideline people bashing or making off the cuff comments, is also another story, and shouldn't sway anybody's comparison. Nor is whatever possible motives think the OP has, whether he does or doesn't, will not mess up the thread (the better comparison would of course be to SF itself, but it isn't in this case, for whatever reason). But people isolate parts of New York City too all the time to compare to other metros, and on down the line. People isolate Oakland and San Francisco all the time too. It isn't like this is a novel idea for a thread. Sometimes one of them is going to lose, it isn't anything bad about San Jose, it is just appreciating how good Vancouver is. They are isolated for the sake of comparison, i.e. living in the cities, and the quality of the cities as an end in themselves. You could bring it out to Bay Area, Northern California, California if that is the "reality" people are posturing, but isn't the comparison. Why not just make a NorCal vs BC thread, if that is what people are going to argue about. If people are going to make a fool of themselves for starting an off base thread, just let them do it, arguing against them only makes them feel validated.

Of course people make city vs city comparisons all the time (that's what this board is called) but they typically pick cities that at least have something in common. San Jose is a business-minded city and Vancouver is a tourist city. What are we supposed to be comparing here? At least compare the Canadian tourist city to the Bay Area one (San Francisco). The reason why there's an outpouring of annoyance from Bay posters on this thread is because of the futility of this comparison. You either have to specify very specific criteria that lends itself to comparing cities in general (ie not criteria like "which airport offers more connections to middleofnowhere and back") or pick a theme for the thread (ie "which one has a more significant asian culture"). Otherwise, I'll maintain that this is a pointless comparison.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Vancouver ranks as the highest quality of life in all of the Americas, over San Francisco, Honolulu, New York, etc. That is how.
Now, comparing Vancouver, and isolating San Jose alone out of a solidified metro is an entirely different story. Having sideline people bashing or making off the cuff comments, is also another story, and shouldn't sway anybody's comparison. Nor is whatever possible motives think the OP has, whether he does or doesn't, will not mess up the thread (the better comparison would of course be to SF itself, but it isn't in this case, for whatever reason). But people isolate parts of New York City too all the time to compare to other metros, and on down the line. People isolate Oakland and San Francisco all the time too. It isn't like this is a novel idea for a thread. Sometimes one of them is going to lose, it isn't anything bad about San Jose, it is just appreciating how good Vancouver is. They are isolated for the sake of comparison, i.e. living in the cities, and the quality of the cities as an end in themselves. You could bring it out to Bay Area, Northern California, California if that is the "reality" people are posturing, but isn't the comparison. Why not just make a NorCal vs BC thread, if that is what people are going to argue about. If people are going to make a fool of themselves for starting an off base thread, just let them do it, arguing against them only makes them feel validated.
Good post. I prefer Vancouver over San Jose--and that's just my opinion, although if I asked a lot of people I know, including family members who live in Northern California that might be their opinion as well.

Yeah, I know all about Silicon Valley, my father worked for over 30 years in the semi-conductor industry all over the Valley and my mother worked as an accountant for a lot of tech companies over the years. Who in the world doesn't know that Google, Apple, Yahoo, and so on are headquartered near San Jose? It's not going to sway my opinion of San Jose over Vancouver as a more desirable place. I'm personally stoked to return to San Jose on my way home and see the downtown improve over the years even if it still isn't the most exciting place in Northern California. I grew up going to the Happy Hollow Zoo as a kid and watching Sharks games from their crap days at the Cow Palace and the first few seasons in San Jose.

But whatever, I'll agree that this thread along with alot of other threads involving San Jose(like San Jose vs. Philadelphia, yeah sure), does seem to be a weird comparison and fairly suspect to begin with--although we all know why San Jose comes up on here so often.

Last edited by Deezus; 05-17-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And all attempts to isolate places in such close proximity are excercises in futility.

Who doesnt enjoy the things around them because they've sworn themselves to only live, work and play within their city limits?

Such a supposition is totally unrealistic and outside the realm of normal human and social behavior.

BTW, Vancouver is also extremely undermined by stating that this comparison is a comparison of just city limits-which is a rule that even the OP broke when he brought up diversity in Richmond, BC.
Of course it is, people do it by the sake of comparison, after all it is city data and most of the better comparisons have already been done, so we are left with this. I'm way beyond getting mad about peoples topics on here. I just compare them for their own merits. It's not worth being mad about.

It could be a good comparison of typical Monday-Friday life in the city, for people who live and work in the city, but not much else.

Him bringing up stuff in the metro basically killed any attempt he might have had I suppose.

Quote:
shortened post.
I agree, he should have specified very specific criteria.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

To be fair, you wouldn't bring up the black population in Oakland to make San Francisco sound more diverse. This thread's called "Vancouver vs. San Jose" for a reason. However, for what reason I don't know. I'm done with this thread until the OP provides an actual reason for why he compared Vancouver to San Jose of all cities.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
To be fair, you wouldn't bring up the black population in Oakland to make San Francisco sound more diverse.
No, but San Jose doesnt need either San Francisco or Oakland to make a case for its diversity.

Also, I can understand not considering SF or Oakland, but Sunnyvale? Mountain View? Palo Alto? Gimme a break.

Quote:
This thread's called "Vancouver vs. San Jose" for a reason. However, for what reason I don't know. I'm done with this thread until the OP provides an actual reason for why he compared Vancouver to San Jose of all cities.
We all know the reason. Its a weak and transparent attempt to bash San Jose.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
This thread should be aborted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City