Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 PM

125 posts, read 331,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Agreed, no one can touch Hawaii in this argument.

NYC/Jersey would have been a better comparison, but didn't really think about it when I made it. In fact, I sorta went off some statements 1 or 2 posters made in the "Who has the better Koreatown" thread.

After living in both California (both SoCal and NorCal) and the NYC area, I thought it would be interesting to see what other posters thought.
I'm not as good with numbers as you are, but this is my attempt is the case was CA vs NYC/NJ

NYC/NJ TOTAL Asian population= 1.7 Million
CA TOTAL Asian population= 4.9 Million

Percentagewise
NYC/NJ= 10%
CA= 13%

So yes, this would definitely be a closer race, but CA still takes it. Nonetheless, the NYC/Jersey area takes the cake for the east coast.
NYC/NJ (more so NJ) got it in the bag when it comes to Asian Indians.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,207,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
Why is it now NYC/NJ? The thread is New York State vs California State.

Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 AM

125 posts, read 331,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Why is it now NYC/NJ? The thread is New York State vs California State.

Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was an observation I made before, the OP acknowledged it as a better comparison, so I elaborated for the sake of elaborating. DON'T FRET, CA still wins either way

Old 06-13-2011, 07:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,445,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i think that's the tough concept for west coasters. cali is huge. when we drove on the highway, it was a shock to see non-cali plates. on the east coast, i'm used to seeing at least 10 different states..

its' like if ny state covered nj through dc (waiting for clueless west coaster to argue that they're nowhere near each other)
A) What does this have to do with anything?

B) Your response to NJ/NYC making a better argument for more Asians but still losing to CA is, "CA is huge, which West Coasters don't understand?" How does that even make any sense to you? That's like you saying, "Manhattan has a better skyline than anything in CA, although LA's and SF's are cool," and one of us responding with, "Yosemite blows away Central Park. Why can't East Coasters get that?" Again, wtf?

C) You get that CA is huge, but you don't get that smaller states are more likely to have cars with out-of-state plates passing through them??

D) You found it to be "a shock" when you saw out of state plates in CA?? Man what are you on? I've seen plates from EVERY SINGLE state in the US here including plenty from Alaska and Hawaii, every province of Canada, more foreign countries than I have bothered to keep track of, and there are TONS of plates all throughout CA that originated in Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Washington. As usual you have no idea what you're even talking about.

Why do you bother to talk about CA so much when you know so little and get so much wrong all the time? What's so fun about being incorrect the majority of the time you talk? You're not a troll, but man oh man do you have an East Coast superiority complex and a gang of misinformation about CA.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 PM

199 posts, read 177,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
New York is very impressive when you consider that in 330 square miles it has over 1 million Asians.

The city is very mixed, its where you see assimilation on a level that I believe no other city in the world can offer, the dense vibrancy and culture of the city's fast paced attitude adds to the integration. Some of the best Asian enclaves in the world if not the best outside of Asia are in New York. The Chinatown in New York gives you a direct feel like its an Asian street scape in a large Asian mega city with the amenities to match the best in the world like food, culture, and aesthetics.

Jackson Heights itself reminds me of Delhi with the paan, the look and feel of the culture I would say the closest thing outside of India there is anywhere overseas from Delhi itself, with the capitalistic fortunes of America's best South Asian food and that's without even mentioning Flushing where people of all races, backgrounds, and nationalities come together to enjoy exquisite cultural offerings thousands of miles away from selected homelands.

New York truly puts a new meaning to integration and assimilation, in a compact area I would say it packs a whallop of a punch. It's perhaps the most cosmopolitan city on the planet, with first class services and culture from every corner of the world. I would say it definitely holds its own, perhaps even outdoes even the best of the competition. The best part of it all is how it can not only mimic but also produce quality cultural offerings that mirror the host nationalities its emulating from Asia.

Having said all that, my vote goes to California.
I see what you did there.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:53 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,201,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
A) What does this have to do with anything?

B) Your response to NJ/NYC making a better argument for more Asians but still losing to CA is, "CA is huge, which West Coasters don't understand?" How does that even make any sense to you? That's like you saying, "Manhattan has a better skyline than anything in CA, although LA's and SF's are cool," and one of us responding with, "Yosemite blows away Central Park. Why can't East Coasters get that?" Again, wtf?

C) You get that CA is huge, but you don't get that smaller states are more likely to have cars with out-of-state plates passing through them??

D) You found it to be "a shock" when you saw out of state plates in CA?? Man what are you on? I've seen plates from EVERY SINGLE state in the US here including plenty from Alaska and Hawaii, every province of Canada, more foreign countries than I have bothered to keep track of, and there are TONS of plates all throughout CA that originated in Oregon, Nevada, Arizona and Washington. As usual you have no idea what you're even talking about.

Why do you bother to talk about CA so much when you know so little and get so much wrong all the time? What's so fun about being incorrect the majority of the time you talk? You're not a troll, but man oh man do you have an East Coast superiority complex and a gang of misinformation about CA.
LOL well said. And despite the fact that CA is huge, i usually see out of state licence plates at least once a day here in SF. I see them from all over the US (yeah including those Hawaiians with their crazy boat cars that they float over here), and i also see the occasional plate from Canada or Mexico.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,994 times
The fact that 11.83% of people think New York is more "Asian" than California shows me that 11.83% of people would vote NYC whatever the poll question was.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 PM

604 posts, read 1,511,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
The fact that 11.83% of people think New York is more "Asian" than California shows me that 11.83% of people would vote NYC whatever the poll question was.
Ya i am not sure how anyone could compare the two states. California and the west coast in general is heavily influenced by Asian culture.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,937,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Honestly, I don't see how anybody could reasonably say New York. California's asian population isn't limited to the big cities and it has a far greater impact on the local culture than the NYC asian population has on NYC culture.
"Honestly, I don't see how anybody could reasonably say New York."

I'm double quoting for emphasis.

They say that because they are NYC.
They are the greatest at everything, of everything, at any point in time since the dawn of man.
All medical, scientific, industrial, technological, cultural, social innovation has occurred because "they" have existed.
Fire, mathematics, religion, politics, architecture, cognitive function, evolutionary transformation, gummie bears & video games only exist because of the 5 boroughs.
Come on man........................... Keep up.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:53 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
I'm not as good with numbers as you are, but this is my attempt is the case was CA vs NYC/NJ

NYC/NJ TOTAL Asian population= 1.7 Million
CA TOTAL Asian population= 4.9 Million

Percentagewise
NYC/NJ= 10%
CA= 13%

So yes, this would definitely be a closer race, but CA still takes it. Nonetheless, the NYC/Jersey area takes the cake for the east coast.
I can't disagree with this

Tri State Area
Total population: 22,085,649
Asian Alone: 1,990,071 (9.0% of the population)
Asian Alone + Combination: 2,210,654 (10.0% of the population)

Asian Indian: 573,329 (2.6% of the population)
Chinese: 682,265 (3.1% of the population)
Filipino: 201,156 (0.9% of the population)
Japanese: 48,487 (0.2% of the population)
Korean: 218,764 (1.0% of the population)
Vietnamese: 33,459 (0.2% of the population)
Other Asian: 251,446 (1.1% of the population)

Asian foreign born (2009 estimate): 1,475,602 (6.7% of the 2009 estimated population)

California
Total population: 37,253,956
Asian Alone: 4,775,070 (12.8% of the population)
Asian Alone + Combination: 5,556,592 (14.9% of the population)

Asian Indian: 528,176 (1.4% of the population)
Chinese: 1,253,102 (3.4% of the population)
Filipino: 1,195,580 (3.2% of the population)
Japanese: 272,528 (0.7% of the population)
Korean: 451,852 (1.2% of the population)
Vietnamese: 581,946 (1.6% of the population)
Other Asian: 577,783 (1.6% of the population)

Asian Foreign Born (2009 estimate): 3,341,761 (9.2% of the 2009 estimated population)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City