Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What area looks/feels more Asian?
New York 19 11.52%
California 146 88.48%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I had a coworker from Ireland who was out here in SF and hadn't been anywhere outside the city, so I took him out to Sacramento via Vallejo (where we shot a gun and he bought a Stetson), then down to Stockton and back. On the way back through the Central Valley, we stopped at a Ross so he could get some sunglasses, and we were the only white people there other than those at the register... as we were talking, the teenaged Asian-American gals behind us started giggling and asked where we were from (I have a Boston accent, he has an Irish one) before asking us why in the world we were there of all places. In that little complex with the Ross, there was a Hawaiian barbecue, a Chinese buffet, a Filipino joint and a taqueria. Out in the middle of nowhere, between Sac and Stock, surrounded by farmland.

California's Asians are a hell of a lot more than urbanized immigrants and their suburban ivy-league hopeful progeny. They live out in the boonies, they run farms... after three, four generations of Asian-Americans, they're nearly totally integrated into the social fabric of California. Of course, there are cultural influences that will continue to run that many generations deep, but again: in many communities with a larger Asian presence, that's just part of the local diaspora now.

Hell yeah it's awesome. The dating pool here in CA is f'in awesome.

I was born in Seattle and spent much of my childhood in and around there, as well as on military bases all over the US. There were a few Asian supermarkets in Seattle we'd go to (now there are way more), and plenty down in the Auburn area when we moved there - due to my partial Asian ancestry, we had a fair amount of Asian cooking around the house... plus we were poor, and you can't beat the prices on Asian produce When we moved to Boston/Cambridge, it took about a week of me riding my bike around to find a Korean grocer in Central Square and a Japanese grocer in Porter, both of which were tiny, but you could get the staples at least.

After I moved out to LA at 18, I was about equidistant to Hankook Super (Korean), Seafood City (Filipino), Ranch 99 (Pan Asian), California Super #1 (Korean), and California Super #2 (Mexican), plus a bunch of smaller carnicerias. Up here in SF, I have dozens of Asian grocers near me, and I drive out to the closest Mi Puebla to load up on fresh salsa by the pound, spices, and all the necessary produce for taco night

I don't know if I could go back to Mass or NY after having spent nine years back out West now. Totally different speed and substance of life no matter how you swing it (not saying one is better than the other, just sayin').
Good post.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i'm not saying one i better than the other

but imo cali = nj in terms of acceptance to other races

i've seen as much racism in cali than i've seen on the east coast

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Nor do you need cities that are 30 to 50% Euro, or black or Hispanic, do you? But I don't see you taking issue with NYC's 30+% white or Hispanic population, so what gives? Or is it simply Asians you prefer to see less of b/c that's the way the East Coast does?
America is still a majority white nation. The percentage of Asians overall is only around 5%. Therefore, a city with 10 to 20 % Asians has pretty significant Asian diversity. 30 to 50 % is very distorted. There should be far more whites, blacks and latinos in such a city. It's legitimate to wonder why there aren't.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-21-2011 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 09:29 PM

i never felt that great as a brown person in cali

i'm saying this only because cali is in denial. they call boston " back east" - gimme a break

just as much aggro hatred from the west

laid back snooki'es ass

Old 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
America is still a majority white nation. The percentage of Asians overall is around 5%. Therefore, a city with 10 to 20 % Asians has pretty significant Asian diversity. 30 to 50 % is very distorted. There should be far more whites, blacks and latinos is such a city.
81% of the population in Detroit is Black, even though the percentage of Blacks overall in this country is only 13%.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:35 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
81% of the population in Detroit is Black, even though the percentage of Blacks overall in this country is only 13%.
Exactly my point. Cities like that are out of whack, right? It seems that people of other races would rather not live there for a variety of reasons.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:37 PM

i like cali, i've visited l.a. a lot. but calling cali accepting of races LOL

gimme NJ ANYDAY!!!!!!

the only reason the poll is high is because utah and idaho voted

Old 05-21-2011, 10:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks
cool stats

pffft

I've spent time in LA and SF . i might as well be hanging out in Cincinatti

i'm not saying one i better than the other

but imo cali = nj in terms of acceptance to other races

i've seen as much racism in cali than i've seen on the east coast

i never felt that great as a brown person in cali

i'm saying this only because cali is in denial. they call boston " back east" - gimme a break

just as much aggro hatred from the west

laid back snooki'es ass

gimme NJ ANYDAY!!!!!!

Keep going, we haven't hit our quota of dumb posts for the night

"I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I'm just saying that NYC/NJ is better than CA, and that even though you guys have more Asians in every way possible, we still have more Asians than you... somehow."

Go hang out in Cinci, we have enough doofuses visiting us as it is.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

gimme NJ ANYDAY!!!!!!

Name ONE way in which the asian presence/culture on the entire east coast is more significant than the one in California.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

gimme NJ ANYDAY!!!!!!

'acceptance' is a word from the 90s.

Unlike back east where this is obviously an issue, The Bay Area is already at the next level of evolution when it comes to people of different races actually living together.

One day you'll get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City