Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times

Advertisements

The central parts of pretty much every major metro in the south. Take your pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Austin's not really Southern. It's more of a Southwestern city. Athens, GA and Nashville are the first that come to mind.
Compared to the desert southwest cities, and for the purposes of this thread, I think it's fair to call Austin a southern city.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Places like Miami, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, have more of a different breed of cool, it's a mixture of urban chic sophisticated, with a strong latin international vibe rather than the quriky hodge-podge hipster scene, both cool, take your pick.

For San Antonio the neighborhoods of; Lavaca, Soflo, Blue Star and King William form the district of Southtown and would best describe of what is Hipster in this city!
Southtown San Antonio
In Dallas and Houston, the Latino culture hardly mixes with the hipster culture (unless of course you're talking about hipsters eating breakfast tacos ).

...and "urban chic" in San Antonio...okay lol

Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
In Dallas and Houston, the Latino culture hardly mixes with the hipster culture (unless of course you're talking about hipsters eating breakfast tacos ).

...and "urban chic" in San Antonio...okay lol

Very bold statement! So you are saying latin people are not cool and out of the mix? Its like saying all blacks eat the KFC dollar menu and have watermelon gardens in their backyard! Oh wait a minute that would make them amongts the more "Green crowd."

Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Very bold statement! So you are saying latin people are not cool and out of the mix? Its like saying all blacks eat the KFC dollar menu and have watermelon gardens in their backyard! Oh wait a minute that would make them amongts the more "Green crowd."
Nope. Not what I'm saying at all. Try reading my post again; this time, without the preconceived notion of racism.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Read my post again and reword yours because it is beyond borderline racist.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Read my post again and reword yours because it is beyond borderline racist.
No, I think what happened here is that the minute you saw my name at the top of that post, you were looking to be offended by something I said. Finding racism in my comments when it wasn't there was fueled by your desperation to start an argument with me. You were all too happy to accuse me of being a bigot, and did not hesitate to try and return the insult. I love chicken and watermelon, so that was a fail.

But I will make it plain to appease you, since it's obvious you need the attention...

What I meant is that the Latino cultures in these cities are an entirely different beast on their own, and are mostly seperate from the generic hipster culture found in Houston and Dallas, and across the country. This is NOT the same as saying that hipsters can't be Latinos, or that Latino culture is not cool.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM

What are you talking about? I don't recall ever interacting with you in here, but come one now, the taco comment pretty much screamed racisim. I'm sure others would agree, thus my example of the ever tasty watermelon. Looks like you cleaned up your first comment with your second one.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I don't recall ever interacting with you in here, but come one now, the taco comment pretty much screamed racisim. I'm sure others would agree, thus my example of the ever tasty watermelon. Looks like you cleaned up your first comment with your second one.
Suit yourself. Again, accusing someone of racism doesn't make it true. I know what I meant by my post, and that's all that matters.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 PM

115 posts, read 230,738 times
Athens, once a hippie haven like Asheville, has now become a hipster haven. They are pretty much taking over the town, and there seems to be a lot more at UGA than in the 2000s. I am not sure what caused the change (maybe all the Panic fans finally burned out). But I much preferred the old Athens.

Atlanta's hipster haven is East Atlanta Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City