U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 03:47 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,128,054 times

Advertisements

Okay maybe im wrong and your not racist, neither am I, but it was sure sterotypical.

Although I might add that i'm kinda confused with your words, you say latin and hipsters can't be mentioned in the same breath and the only thing latin in hipster culture would be if a hipster is eating a breakfeast taco. You then contradict yourself and say im not saying there are not latin hipsters. hmm! Okie dokie! We all reply without thinking sometimes, your forgiven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,235,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Places like Miami, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston, have more of a different breed of cool, it's a mixture of urban chic sophisticated, with a strong latin international vibe rather than the quriky hodge-podge hipster scene, both cool, take your pick.

For San Antonio the neighborhoods of; Lavaca, Soflo, Blue Star and King William form the district of Southtown, and would best describe of what is Hipster in this city!
Southtown San Antonio
I can see where you're coming from and yes San Antonio is cool in its ways. But its very far from being a hipster haven. If anything, hipsters can be quite pretentious to the point that their opinions of San Antonio can offend you dramatically, as I myself have encountered.

As I've said, I agree about your statements of being a "urban chic sophisticated" city, but by no means is that mutually inclusive to hipsters. I have never seen or witnessed a single shred or iota of the hipsters being referred on this thread in San Antonio. Take it from someone who has family there and has lived in Austin for 12.5 years. San Antonio is probably the least "hipsterish" city of Texas. Even El Paso has more hipsters than San Antonio to be quite honest.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Hah, never said it was a hipster haven, said it has some neigborhoods that fit the part. El paso more hipster than SA, you gotta be off your rocker a bit on that one.

To be honest as far as the heterogeneous mixture that creates a hipster style, I see people dress the part all over SA and not just in one corner of the city.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Okay maybe im wrong and your not racist, neither am I, but it was sure sterotypical.

Although I might add that i'm kinda confused with your words, you say latin and hipsters can't be mentioned in the same breath and the only thing latin in hipster culture would be if a hipster is eating a breakfeast taco. You then contradict yourself and say im not saying there are not latin hipsters. hmm! Okie dokie! We all reply without thinking sometimes, your forgiven.
I think the both of you got a little lost in translation there. I think what the other person is saying is vice versa. I assume that person does not consider "hipster" necessarily as "cool". So it wasn't to say that latins are not cool, they're just not "hipsters" per se. I can agree with that, depending by how you define hipster. Hipster is one of those nebulous definitions and everybody has their opinions of it. But today its mostly comprised of rich white pretentious kids wearing skinny jeans, flannel shirts and geeky glasses. But hip can also be anything else.... for this thread, I'm thinking their referring of the types I'm describing.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Hah, never said it was a hipster haven, said it has some neigborhoods that fit the part.
I know. I understood what you were saying. I was just making some clarifications in case some people assumed otherwise, cause this thread is about hipster haven.
Quote:
El paso more hipster than SA, you gotta be off your rocker a bit on that one.
The Mars Volta came out of El Paso. They started off as At the Drive-In. You see plenty of kids being influenced by these guys in El Paso. Mostly all of them dress like this.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...Mars+Volta.jpg

Plenty of people who live in Austin are from El Paso. El Paso also has UTEP so there are plenty of young kids there. There are plenty of artists in El Paso, although there certainly are more in San Antonio. Truth is, you'll see a higher concentration of this "counter-culture" in El Paso than there is in San Antonio.

I have family in both cities and have visited both cities a lot. I know what I am talking about.

Quote:
To be honest as far as the heterogeneous mixture that creates a hipster style, I see people dress the part all over SA and not just in one corner of the city.
I have never seen that... there are more skaters and metal heads than they are hipsters. Maybe you're confusing the two because San Antonio is NOT in essence a place where you will see actual hipsters.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM

And a lot of El Pasians flock to SA as well. Maybe you mistaken the same for the EP crowd just the same. Oh well it is what it is.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And a lot of El Pasians flock to SA as well. Maybe you mistaken the same for the EP crowd just the same. Oh well it is what it is.
Ok, fair enough. But are they the hipsterish crowd that I am referring to? My friend, San Antonio is not a hipster town. That is all.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I know. I understood what you were saying. I was just making some clarifications in case some people assumed otherwise, cause this thread is about hipster haven. The Mars Volta came out of El Paso. They started off as At the Drive-In. You see plenty of kids being influenced by these guys in El Paso. Mostly all of them dress like this.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/...Mars+Volta.jpg

Plenty of people who live in Austin are from El Paso. El Paso also has UTEP so there are plenty of young kids there. There are plenty of artists in El Paso, although there certainly are more in San Antonio. Truth is, you'll see a higher concentration of this "counter-culture" in El Paso than there is in San Antonio.

I have family in both cities and have visited both cities a lot. I know what I am talking about.

I have never seen that... there are more skaters and metal heads than they are hipsters. Maybe you're confusing the two because San Antonio is NOT in essence a place where you will see actual hipsters.

hehe, jeans and t-shirt type of guy and a t-shirt and jeans type a guy add a jacket. what will they think of next?....hehe....im just messing with u.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
hehe, jeans and t-shirt type of guy and a t-shirt and jeans type a guy add a jacket, what will they think of next....hehe....im just messing with u.
then there's the tattoos, the glasses, the scruffy look... yadda yadda. i've rarely seen that culture in San Antonio. Mind you, a big part of this "trend" is the musicians and artists that come along with it. Coincidentally, San Antonio has an almost non-existent indy music scene. El Paso does however, as well as every other hipster haven city. Athens, Georgia (lookup Deerhunter, Atlas Sound or The Black Lips) San Francisco (lookup Thee Oh Sees) Austin (lookup White Denim, Spoon) El Pas (The Mars Volta) San Antonio (ehhh ????)

Old 05-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Almost non exsistent? I'm starting to question any connection to S.A.

San Antonio's well known indie group Girl in a Coma.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City