Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state?
Georgia 67 48.91%
Michigan 70 51.09%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 03:44 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

Georgia is said to be a warmer version of Michigan. Both are about the same size and population. Both have one large metro of about 5 million people, and a few smaller MSA's. Both of the large metros have a reputation of having a dangerous core city, while the suburbs are safe. Both of the large metros airports are Delta hubs, and both have I-75. Both states have a college town about an hour drive from their metros, and college football is a big part of life.

So which state do you prefer? Here are the categories:

Weather-
Culture-
Activities-
Single life (for singles)-
Family life (for married people)-
Economy-
Education-
COL-
QOL-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 04:59 AM

79 posts, read 238,876 times
Wink no competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Georgia is said to be a warmer version of Michigan. Both are about the same size and population. Both have one large metro of about 5 million people, and a few smaller MSA's. Both of the large metros have a reputation of having a dangerous core city, while the suburbs are safe. Both of the large metros airports are Delta hubs, and both have I-75. Both states have a college town about an hour drive from their metros, and college football is a big part of life.

So which state do you prefer? Here are the categories:

Weather-
Culture-
Activities-
Single life (for singles)-
Family life (for married people)-
Economy-
Education-
COL-
QOL-

Weather- Michigan
Culture- Michigan
Activities- Michigan
Single life (for singles)- Michigan
Family life (for married people)- Michigan
Economy- West Michigan
Education- Michigan
COL- ?
QOL- Michigan

Old 05-21-2011, 06:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Georgia easily

Old 05-21-2011, 06:52 AM

33 posts, read 75,868 times
I think it depends where you are originally from. If you're from the North, you will feel more at home in Michigan. If you are from the South, you will already be accustomed to the way of life there.

Either way- In Michigan you will wish you were in GA in the winter, and in Georgia, you will wish you were in MI in the summer.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISCIN View Post
I think it depends where you are originally from. If you're from the North, you will feel more at home in Michigan. If you are from the South, you will already be accustomed to the way of life there.

Either way- In Michigan you will wish you were in GA in the winter, and in Georgia, you will wish you were in MI in the summer.
My many family members from Flint, Michigan must think neither. They've all packed up and moved to Texas, Tennessee and Florida.

They had to move because America has allowed it's auto industry to nearly die. And when and if it ever revives the Big 3 don't look like they're anxious to rebuild themselves in Michigan.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:06 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
My many family members from Flint, Michigan must think neither. They've all packed up and moved to Texas, Tennessee and Florida.

They had to move because America has allowed it's auto industry to nearly die. And when and if it ever revives the Big 3 don't look like they're anxious to rebuild themselves in Michigan.

I think you mean the incompetent, overpayed management types who ran the Big 3 into the ground .......

Old 05-21-2011, 03:14 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times
Quote:

That's what happens when you don't diversify...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:

Actually...not true. I live in SE Michigan and it has been in the local news a lot lately that all three of the Big Three domestic auto makers are expanding their plants in our area and getting ready to hire thousands of new employees in this area as demand for their vehicles increases. Granted, these are not $30/hr. with a million perks jobs like the Big Three were handing out 20-30 years ago, but that, combined with the fact that they didn't think that they really had to try, is much of what doomed them to near extinction a couple of years ago. It's a newer, greener, leaner, auto industry and yes, its roots will always be in Michigan. Instead of taking the industry to the lower wage, right to work states, they are bringing the lower wages jobs with fewer benefits to Michigan. Chrysler wanted to hire my dh last year when they added a second shift at the Jefferson North assembly plant, but we live a good hour from downtown Detroit, so at $14/hr. it wasn't remotely worth it. Now they want to hire him as a driver in their trucking fleet, and that pays much better. Regardless, the point is, all three of the Big Three are hiring here and if anything, putting down even deeper roots here in Michigan. Home is home. And I don't think it's a question anymore "if" they will revive, because Ford had a record profit year and is producing several vehicles that are ranked first in their class over Honda, Toyota, or Kia. I really believe that the Big Three have finally learned a very painful lesson and built on that, and their sales figures reflect that.

As to the op's question:

Weather- Michigan from April through October, Georgia for the rest of the year

Culture- I like both cultures, but I am more familiar with the culture here in Michigan, so Michigan

Activities-I love American history, particularly Civil War history, so if I could spend my weekends exploring historical attractions, then Georgia would have the edge here, plus, they have ocean beaches.

Single life (for singles)- N/A

Family life (for married people)- A toss up. We are a conservative, Christian family, so we would fit in in either state equally, since Michigan, away from the large cities, is surprisingly right wing and traditional.

Economy- No idea, but we're personally doing very well here in Michigan right now, so I'll say Michigan

Education- Michigan--I have no choice, our son attends U of M and our high school aged homeschooled daughter is going to take dual enrollment classes there this fall as well. Go Blue!!!

COL-Aren't they fairly comparable?

QOL- I could be happy in either!

Last edited by canudigit; 05-21-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISCIN View Post

Truer words are rarely spoken. The grass is always greener in the other state. Except when the grass turns brown during a freezing Northern winter or turns brown during a swelting Southern summer!

Old 05-21-2011, 10:30 PM

16 posts, read 49,488 times
Michigan of course! Born and Raised in Flint went to Atlanta to visit family on several occasions hated it! To many "Jones" besides I like the blue collar mentality of Michiganders and some of the best suburbs you will ever find to raise a family and not to mention Eastern Western Central Michigan University and U of M Michigan State!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City