U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM

10,309 posts, read 11,759,798 times

Advertisements

Denver by far is the best of the 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:35 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,280,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Denver by far is the best of the 3.
And you're basing this on????? Did you even read the OP's post?

Best dating scene for guys? (Heterosexual men that is. (Respectfully))

Minneapolis and Denver have a lot in common and IMO, both have more to offer than Indianapolis.

City / County: Total Population / Total Population 25 - 44 / Female Percentage (2010 Census)
Minneapolis (Hennepin County): 1,152,425 / 341,827 / 49.7%
Denver (Denver County): 600,158 / 212,593 / 48%
Indianapolis (Marion County): 903,393 / 263,452 / 50.8%

Least amount of crime? (I heard Denver is dangerous surprisingly anybody experience that while living/visiting there? )

Denver
Minneapolis
Indianapolis (worst)

Which city has a better white collar job industry?
Minneapolis (the Minneapolis area has a diverse, corporate presence that neither Denver nor Indianapolis can compete with)
Denver
Indianapolis

Overall: Minneapolis

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-31-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM

10,309 posts, read 11,759,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
And you're basing this on????? Did you even read the OP's post?

Best dating scene for guys? (Heterosexual men that is. (Respectfully))
Minneapolis and Denver have a lot in common and both have more to do than Indianapolis.

City / County: Total Population / Total Population 25 - 44 / Female Percentage (2010 Census)
Minneapolis (Hennepin County): 1,152,425 / 341,827 / 49.7%
Denver (Denver County): 600,158 / 212,593 / 48%
Indianapolis (Marion County): 903,393 / 263,452 / 50.8%

Least amount of crime? (I heard Denver is dangerous surprisingly anybody experience that while living/visiting there? )

Denver
Minneapolis
Indianapolis (worst)

Which city has a better white collar job industry?
Minneapolis (the Minneapolis area has a diverse, corporate presence that neither Denver nor Indianapolis can compete with)
Denver
Indianapolis

Overall: Minneapolis
Yes I was.

Denver is the largest MSA in the rocky mountain region so people tend to move there from the entire region who want to live in a large city. That gives it a great dating scene for straight males (and even gay ones) as there are a lot of younger people there.

Denver is not dangerous and I have never felt unsafe in that city or MSA.

Denver has a great white collar job industry from the tech park in the southern part of the metro to downtown and there is a growing tech park on the way to Boulder on the Boulder Turnpike. Plus Boulder continues to help the region attract even more R&D companies and that helps attract white collar jobs.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,681,081 times
1. Can't say--I've been married for 20 years. Minneapolis was pretty good in the '80s though

2. Crime: I think on a metro wide basis, Minneapolis and Denver will be quite similar. Indianapolis has a notably higher crime rate than Denver. In 2010, it was ranked 53, while Metro Denver was 152. The Twin Cities weren't ranked.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

3. White Collar Economy: The Twin Cities has a very diverse economy with 19 Fortune 500 Companies headquartered in the area. Denver also has a good economy that is traditionally more boom-bust cycle. I think Indy's economy has done well in the past decade, with firms like Eli Lily, but I would think the areas status as a major wholesaling/distribution center has suffered due to all the problems with the economy. Still, Indy has a much better economy than many of the nearby cities (Dayton, Toledo, Detroit).

Overall, I'd say:

Minneapolis
Denver
Indianapolis

Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,280,849 times
Quote:
Denver is the largest MSA in the rocky mountain region so people tend to move there from the entire region who want to live in a large city. That gives it a great dating scene for straight males (and even gay ones) as there are a lot of younger people there.
The same thing can be said about the Minneapolis area.

Quote:
Denver is not dangerous and I have never felt unsafe in that city or MSA.
The Twin Cities area is very safe for a metro it's size. Both Minneapolis and St. Paul are safe too, except for a couple pockets.

Quote:
Denver has a great white collar job industry from the tech park in the southern part of the metro to downtown and there is a growing tech park on the way to Boulder on the Boulder Turnpike. Plus Boulder continues to help the region attract even more R&D companies and that helps attract white collar jobs.
The Minneapolis area has more Fortune 500 companies than the Denver and Indianapolis areas combined. It's home to one of the largest banks in the country (U.S. Bancorp), one of the world's largest med-tech companies (Medtronic), the countries largest private company and one of the world's largest ag giants (Cargill). The area is also home to one of the country's top 25 research institutions (U of M).

Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,172,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
1. Can't say--I've been married for 20 years. Minneapolis was pretty good in the '80s though

2. Crime: I think on a metro wide basis, Minneapolis and Denver will be quite similar. Indianapolis has a notably higher crime rate than Denver. In 2010, it was ranked 53, while Metro Denver was 152. The Twin Cities weren't ranked.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

3. White Collar Economy: The Twin Cities has a very diverse economy with 19 Fortune 500 Companies headquartered in the area. Denver also has a good economy that is traditionally more boom-bust cycle. I think Indy's economy has done well in the past decade, with firms like Eli Lily, but I would think the areas status as a major wholesaling/distribution center has suffered due to all the problems with the economy. Still, Indy has a much better economy than many of the nearby cities (Dayton, Toledo, Detroit).

Overall, I'd say:

Minneapolis
Denver
Indianapolis
Indianapolis has one of the more diverse economies in the nation which is why it's been the fastest growing area for a decade which means pretty much the best economy in the midwest with of course sports, huge in healthcare and green companies. Indiana unlike the rest of the midwestern states isn't broke and destitute ala Ohio and Michigan. Indiana has a balanced budget and money in the bank.

Crime wise, Indy does have more but a city with twice the population should have more. Every major US city has crime but the majority of Indianapolis crime happens within the old city limits and this is a big county land wise.

Indy also has a higher percentage of women and keep in mind, both Bloomington, Muncie and West Lafayette (IU, Ball State and Purdue) are not considered Indy metro even though all three are less than an hour away north and south of the city and you get a lot of college traffic and IU and Ball State always ranks in top 10 party schools.

I've never been to Denver but heard it was nice but I have spent time in the Twin Cities both Minneapolis and St. Paul so I would rate Indy a little bit better than Minneapolis, final factor FOR ME is the fact that it gets way too cold up there for me

Old 05-31-2011, 03:11 PM

252 posts, read 228,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Indianapolis has one of the more diverse economies in the nation which is why it's been the fastest growing area for a decade which means pretty much the best economy in the midwest with of course sports, huge in healthcare and green companies. Indiana unlike the rest of the midwestern states isn't broke and destitute ala Ohio and Michigan. Indiana has a balanced budget and money in the bank.
You apparently don't know much about the MPLS - STPL area. It's now the second largest economy in the Midwest and continues to grow at a healthy rate. I know I've posted this list of MPLS-STPL based companies before, but it drives the point home.

Company - Revenue (2010)
Line of Business

Cargill Inc. - $109.8B
Multinational agriculture company

UnitedHealth Group Inc. – $94.2B
Benefit design and implementation for companies, owns and operates health plans

Target Corp. – $67.4B
Retailer

Best Buy Co. Inc. - $49.7B
Retailer

Supervalu Inc. - $40.6B
Grocery wholesaler and retailer

3M Co. – $26.7B
Global diversified technology company

CHS Inc. - $25.3B
Energy and agricultural cooperative

U.S. Bancorp - $20.5B
Regional bank holding company

Medtronic Inc. - $15.8B
Medical device technologies

General Mills Inc. - $14.8B
Consumer foods

Land O'Lakes - $11.1B
Dairy

Xcel Energy Inc. - $10.3B
Electric and natural gas utility

Ameriprise Financial Inc. - $10B
Diversified financial services

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc. - $9.3B
Transportation services and logistics support

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans - $7.5B
Financial services

Mosaic Co. – $6.8B
Produces and distributes concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients, nitrogen fertilizers and feed ingredients.

Ecolab Inc. - $6.1B
Provides cleaning, sanitizing, food safety, infection control products and maintenance products and services

St. Jude Medical Inc. - $5.2B
Makes cardiovascular medical devices

Nash Finch Co. - $5B
Food wholesaler and owner and operator of supermarkets

Alliant Techsystems Inc. – $4.8B
Develops aerospace and defense products and systems

Carlson Companies - $4.0B
Owns hotel, restaurant, and travel franchises

Valspar Corp. - $3.4B
Makes paint and coatings

Patterson Cos Inc. – $3.3B
Distributes dental, veterinary and rehabilitation supplies and equipment

Securian Financial Group, Inc. - $3.1B
Financial services corporation

Holiday Companies - $3.0B
Convenience stores

Pentair Inc. - $3.0B
A diversified operating company; Water Group makes products for the movement, treatment, storage and enjoyment of water; Technical Products Group makes standard, modified and custom enclosures that house and protect sensitive electronics

Rosen's Diversified - $2.5B
Meat products

M A Mortenson - $2.4B
Construction

Regis Corp. - $2.3B
Owns, operates and franchises hair salons in mall and strip-center locations

Fastenal Co. - $2.3B
Sells industrial and construction supplies

Andersen - $2.1B
Manufacturer of windows

Donaldson Co. Inc. - $2.1B
filtration systems and replacement parts

Polaris Industries Inc. - $2.0B
Makes snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, garments and accessories

The Toro Co. – $1.7B
Makes turf maintenance equipment and precision irrigation systems for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, and agricultural fields.

OneBeacon Insurance Group - $1.7B
Offers a range of specialty and personal insurance products and services

TCF Financial Corp. - $1.5B
National financial bank holding company

Imation Corp. - $1.5B
Makes removable data storage, consumer electronic products and accessories

Deluxe Corp. - $1.4B
Sells checks and related products to financial institutions, individuals, and small businesses

H.B. Fuller Co. - $1.4B
Makes specialty chemical products

Life Time Fitness Inc. – $912.8M
Operates sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort/spa centers

Buffalo Wild Wings Inc. - 613.3M
Restaurant chain

Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) – $610.1M
Business analytics and decision management technology company

Select Comfort Corp. - $605.7M
Makes and sells adjustable-firmness beds and other sleep-related products

Piper Jaffray Cos. - $565.1M
General securities brokerage, corporate and public finance

Capella Education Co. - $426.1M
Online post-secondary education services company specializing in master's and doctoral degrees.

Dolan Media Co. - $311.3
Provides business information and professional services to the legal, financial, and real estate sectors throughout the U.S.

Caribou Coffee Co. Inc. – $284M
Coffeehouses

Famous Dave's of America Inc. - $148.3M
Restaurant chain

Last edited by Unity77; 05-31-2011 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,013,740 times
Denver and Indianapolis need to get on MPLS' level.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,172,097 times
If you like bitter chill to the bone cold on par with Michigans UP and this is coming from someone who grew up ON Lake Michigan. Like I stated earlier, Minneapolis is nice but it's freaking cold in the winter. But for ME, Minneapolis just doesn't have stuff that really caters to me. Indianapolis, I have Indiana Avenue, I have black expo events all year round, I have the largest exposition in the nation for African Americans every year. I have circle city classic and to be honest Minneapolis just flat out lacks that no matter how you try to spin it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,001,764 times
It's truly amazing how many people underestimate Minneapolis! To compare with Denver and Indy and be 3rd in most peoples' opinions because of the weather is frankly sad. I realize I have a bias as a Minneapolis native, but I travel a LOT and the very things that make cities great and fun is what Minneapolis has in large quantities. Denver is okay, but kinda dull. Indy is just on another level (and I don't mean a higher one). This isn't a knock on Denver OR Indy and I feel that both cities are progressive and strong and have much much MUCH to offer, but Minneapolis has more to offer on just about any level, but it's like the best kept secret in the county or something. It's amazing what the PERCEPTION of cold weather can do -- seriously -- because I KNOW that's the reason Minneapolis gets knocked so much!

Oh well, but for the OP, crime, sex (hetereosexual), and white collar jobs, here's my rank:

Crime: Denver
Dating scene: Minneapolis (anyone will tell you about Minneapolis women ;-)
Economy: Minneapolis (not only the lowest unemployment rate, but the highest GDP AND most Fortune 500 Cos.)

Minny. But it gets cold in winter........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City