Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC does not try to compete with NYC. I am giving you the obvious. DC is arguably the most powerful city in the free world, like it or not. If you know anything about DC residents, they could care less about NYC. Philly is not even on the same level as DC. When you mention biggest in regard to Philly, you can only be talking about size or population. I know you are not talking about impact, sphere of influence, media power, per capita income, diversity, employment, cosmopolitan, pace of life, transportation, amenities, educated populace, sophistication or any other measurable along those lines. The attitude you speak about is more of an arrogance because I live in DC and I know the city's place in the grand scheme of things.

carry on

Old 05-26-2011, 01:20 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
DC does not try to compete with NYC. I am giving you the obvious. DC is arguably the most powerful city in the free world, like it or not.
Well, some cities earn their place in the country the hard way and some cities have things bestowed on them.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
At the risk of sounding contentious I find this post to actually be some attempt at making a correlation to NYC or even propping up to that level. The city itself is by no means at the level of NYC - yes the Gov't factors but somehow it is seperate in viewing the living aspect of the city in a completely different way than NYC, yes a tremndous political power (and is unique to DC) but when viewing the city itself there is a huge disparity between NYC and DC, not even close from my perspective. I do agree there is an elitist attitude but as a city on the East Coast (Probably better stated as the NE)there is NYC then there is the DCs, Bostons, and Phillys - the later are all much closer than any of these are to the "Big Dawg" NYC

And maybe it is just on here but I hear many comments aserting DC and even SF by their residents as being similar on on the level with NYC - but I guess we agree to disagree (BTW I have lived in DC, NYC, and SF)
If you have lived in DC like you claim, then you know first hand that DC people will never have an inferiority complex about NYC. The make up of the city is too white collar and educated for that. In addition, you cannot disconnect the political power of DC from the people who live in the city and work in this arena everyday. I am by no means saying DC is on NYC's level at all but you cannot deny the city's place in the big picture. Too to many important decisions come from this 61 square mile area. Ask yourself why is Philly so cheap compared to DC if Philly is such a utopia. More people would be hard pressed to live there, thus driving up the cost. But we all know that isn't the case. So keep dreaming.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Hey - I never got you were trashing Baltimore. I really like it there as well. A few pages back, I thought Denver and KP did a pretty good job of laying out some similarities that covered what I was thinking plus some. Agree with them or not - it's all good.

Have a good time this weekend. Last time we were down there, we ate the best crabcakes ever at a place called Moe's near Harbor East and Little Italy. We're headed to NY ourselves. What's wrong with this picture: the kick-off of summer and neither of us going down the shore?

No worries, I will take care of that and two less cars on the road in my way. Interesting part is this is all part of why I love this area. not only great things in the home city but so many places just a stones throw away. Enjoy NYC

BTW will check out Moes next time I am in Baltimore - even though chain another favorite is the patio at Phillips on the Harbor (basically where Harbor East meets the Inner Harbor) probably my favorite setting for lunch in Baltimore when the weather is nice, plus they have this great buttery Chard that somehow always seems perfect.

Edit - you actually put crab on my brain meant the patio of McCormick and Schmicks

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-26-2011 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Crab on the brain

Old 05-26-2011, 01:24 PM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Hey - I never got you were trashing Baltimore. I really like it there as well. A few pages back, I thought Denver and KP did a pretty good job of laying out some similarities that covered what I was thinking plus some. Agree with them or not - it's all good.

Have a good time this weekend. Last time we were down there, we ate the best crabcakes ever at a place called Moe's near Harbor East and Little Italy. We're headed to NY ourselves. What's wrong with this picture: the kick-off of summer and neither of us going down the shore?
Thanks! I'm gonna add Moe's to the list of places to check out. How about that? Neither one of us are doing the Philadelphian thing to do this time of year Believe it or not I'm not a traditional Philadelphian (From Queens,Ny) anyway although Ive spent most of my summers here up until I moved here im still learning the way haha!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:25 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well, some cities earn their place in the country the hard way and some cities have things bestowed on them.
Regardless of how it came about, you seem to have a hard time swallowing that bitter pill.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Regardless of how it came about, you seem to have a hard time swallowing that bitter pill.
No, just messing around. I actually like DC a lot and I like the fact that Philly is a great city in itself but happens to be so close to other great cities.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No worries, I will take care of that and two less cars on the road. Interesting part is this is all part of why I love this area. not only great things in the home city but so many places just a stones throw away. Enjoy NYC

BTW will check out Moes next time I am in Baltimore - even though chain another favorite is the patio at Phillips on the Harbor (basically where Harbor East meets the Inner Harbor) probably my favorite setting for lunch in Baltimore when the weather is nice, plus they have this great buttery Chard that somehow always seems perfect.

Edit - you actually put crab on my brain meant the patio of McCormick and Schmicks
And Phillips! I'm gonna go down there and impress them as if I know my way around all of a sudden

Old 05-26-2011, 03:21 PM

418 posts, read 808,993 times
Im in downtown Baltimore at the moment, and the mixture of tourist, business people, and regular people just walking around (like me), I'm certain that Baltimore can hold its own against philly in the vibrancy department.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Im in downtown Baltimore at the moment, and the mixture of tourist, business people, and regular people just walking around (like me), I'm certain that Baltimore can hold its own against philly in the vibrancy department.
Sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City