Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM

418 posts, read 809,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Baltimore has a nice downtown and harbor but it barely just makes the top 10 in the US when it comes to downtown vibrancy and overall downtown. Any photos or videos that can support your claim that it "can hold its own against" center city in the vibrancy department ( which I highly doubt it can)?
Downtown Baltimore is so underrated its almost funny. What is it that downtown philly have that Baltimore doesn't?

BTW, I'll post pics when I get to my computer, I'm replying from my cellphone at the moment.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Yes, but you won't get a strong salt water scent near the water.
Never said anything about scents. Balto is linked to salt water in a way Philly and Wilmington are not.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 05-26-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Never said anything about scents. Balto is linked to salt water in a way Philly and Wilmington are not.
Yes i'm confused what you mean. You mean linked to the ocean and shipping?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Yes i'm confused what you mean. You mean linked to the ocean and shipping?
Baltimore is on the Chesapeake Bay. Philly and Wilmington are on the Delaware RIVER.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Baltimore is on the Chesapeake Bay. Philly and Wilmington are on the Delaware RIVER.
Okay. So Baltimore is a city founded upon the water and the industry it thrived off of. Just be aware that the Chesapeake bay is not a salt water body.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Just be aware that the Chesapeake bay is not a salt water body.
Whatever. I have bigger fish to fry than to snipe with you over the salinity levels at various spots along the Chesapeake.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Downtown Baltimore is so underrated its almost funny. What is it that downtown philly have that Baltimore doesn't?

BTW, I'll post pics when I get to my computer, I'm replying from my cellphone at the moment.
Off the top, walnut street probably has better upscale shopping than all of downtown Baltimore.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 AM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Off the top, walnut street probably has better upscale shopping than all of downtown Baltimore.
Off top Baltimore has more upscale housing and condos than downtown philly. So many condos popped up in downtown Baltimore over the last five years, u wouldnt believe it. Lol @ Baltimore being stagnant..

Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
For Philly and Baltimore:

Industrial heritage

Large African American population

Large Jewish population

Somewhat inferiority complex with NYC and DC

Historic charm

Cultural riches

Severe postwar decline, followed by recent steps at revitalization

Higher education (UPenn, Hopkins, etc.)

Good public transit

Good rail and road accessibility to NYC and DC

Similar climate

Popular public markets

Racial segregation by neighborhood

nearly everyone one of these traits philly could be compared to boston as well, therefore i stand by what i said that philly resembles boston more than baltimore, city and metro.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
If you have lived in DC like you claim, then you know first hand that DC people will never have an inferiority complex about NYC. The make up of the city is too white collar and educated for that. In addition, you cannot disconnect the political power of DC from the people who live in the city and work in this arena everyday. I am by no means saying DC is on NYC's level at all but you cannot deny the city's place in the big picture. Too to many important decisions come from this 61 square mile area. Ask yourself why is Philly so cheap compared to DC if Philly is such a utopia. More people would be hard pressed to live there, thus driving up the cost. But we all know that isn't the case. So keep dreaming.

You know i always like to bring metros into this, because often times philly is looked at as cheap and dirty and uneducated to outsiders (which i disagree with), however the same cannot be said for th suburbs which consistently rank near the top in the nation ahead of DC for wealth education, safety, and QOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City