Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2011, 11:36 AM

153 posts, read 526,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

On the comments by TEXX - while I agree Houston and DFW are not the same. People living there will articulate the more subtle differences better than anyone not as close - this is the same for many other cities with similar characterics. Many people feel that Philly and Baltimore are very similar. I agree and as someone who knows them well could better articulate the differences or subtleties and explain the differences but overall outwardly they will appear very similar. Overall the similarities between these two large TX metros are more similar than different, though no two places are exactly the same

I can agree as I don't truly understand the differences from Philly and Baltimore. To me, an outsider, Baltimore and DC have nothing in common that I can see visually or culturally and I dont understand how these two opposite cities get grouped together. Really what do they have in common? Philly on the other hand looks visually similar(rowhouses, more grit, skinny streets, ect) to Baltimore and even culturally in some ways but I do understand Philly is much larger and vibrant.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:53 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texx View Post
I can agree as I don't truly understand the differences from Philly and Baltimore. To me, an outsider, Baltimore and DC have nothing in common that I can see visually or culturally and I dont understand how these two opposite cities get grouped together. Really what do they have in common? Philly on the other hand looks visually similar(rowhouses, more grit, skinny streets, ect) to Baltimore and even culturally in some ways but I do understand Philly is much larger and vibrant.
Agree with your comment. Philly and Baltimore are much more similar than DC is to any other northeast city. There are part of inner-city DC, however, that have that Baltimore row-house/hood vibe. Most tourists don't see these neighborhoods, however - just the monuments, museums, Georgetown, etc.

As for Houston and Dallas, to a Texan (which I was for many years), we do appreciate the differences. Outside of Texas, however, the differences are not as great as they look (OK - my opinion). This comment struck me:
Quote:
if two cities dislike each other like Dallas and Houston, they are probably very different.
In my experience, be it cities, classmates, work colleagues, siblings, universities, whatever - the more intense rivalries typically occur the MORE similar any two entities are. I suspect you may have a different opinion. So be it.

As for this observation:
Quote:
And Fort Worth might be even more different from Dallas because of many of the same reasons.
One of my regrets is while in Texas, I never went to Ft Worth. From what I've read, seen and heard, however, I think you are onto something here.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Vancouver all seem reminiscent of one another.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Any two cities that are right next to each other? This would be a more interesting topic if a distance requirement were specified.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
If you were to compare baltimore and philadelphia a few decades ago, they would be more similar than they are now. Philly in 2011 IMO is many steps ahead of baltimore, and i think the gap will continue to increase between the two cities. Philly has itself on a bit of a roll here, trying to move up on boston and NYC. Baltimore does have a great inner harbor though , which is its main strong point.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:48 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If you were to compare baltimore and philadelphia a few decades ago, they would be more similar than they are now. Philly in 2011 IMO is many steps ahead of baltimore, and i think the gap will continue to increase between the two cities. Philly has itself on a bit of a roll here, trying to move up on boston and NYC. Baltimore does have a great inner harbor though , which is its main strong point.

For purposes of this thread there is more similarities than differences for Baltimore and Philly

Old 05-26-2011, 07:59 AM

418 posts, read 808,993 times
Baltimore is also taking steps forward sooooo... that gap isn't increasing anytime soon. philly has to catch Boston before it can go at DC and NYC.

Last edited by TMR23; 05-26-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM

82 posts, read 90,290 times
Portland and Seattle

Baltimore and Philly

Atlanta and Charlotte

Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Baltimore is also taking steps forward sooooo... that gap isn't increasing anytime soon. philly has to catch Boston before it can go at DC and NYC.
Well baltimore was never on Philly's level and not even close. We can talk numbers, statistics, or pictures since I know you always like to bring up pictures. I appreciate Baltimore as nice town with a bad rep, economy,crime etc.. But let's not Kid ourselves. Baltimore should continue to take those steps though, maybe one day it will be on par with Detroit. Dc is a non factor, and Philly nor any other city will ever be NYC..which I don't think it wants to be.

Last edited by SirGreenDown; 05-26-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

857 posts, read 1,364,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
For purposes of this thread there is more similarities than differences for Baltimore and Philly
Besides rowhouses, list them and educate me. This should be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City