Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
You are kind of proving what I'm talking about though. Maybe it's just the posters on C-D but DC is constantly trying to compete and be mentioned in the same sentence as NYC. Boston, Philly and Baltimore don't have this attitude. And sorry, but DC does not compete with NYC. Philly and NYC are the two biggest cities on the East Coast and it will remain that way for the forseeable future.
LOL!!! Thank you...

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Post pics and links, if not, u are wasting my time. Unlike philly, u can go to downtown Baltimore and immediately see how different it is compared to 5 years ago. Also, me and the people of dc may not see eye to eye, but u can't deny the fact that DC is improving leaps and bounds over philly... and pulling away quickly.

Development has slowed over the last two years but there have been quite a few. I agree Baltimore has a lot of development; In some ways i think it is more pronounced, much of the development in Harbor East or the opposite side of the Harbor (not sure what they call that area) is much apparent to the eye as the areas were not significantly developed prior.

According to this report CC Philly added more than 12,000 units over the last decade or so.

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/...11_housing.pdf

Baltimore may have added more units, not sure. Would suspect close. Also this is just for CC and does not include the units built along the Philadelphia waterfront or in places like No Libs or U City.

I am not sure of the of the specific boundary of the baltimore DT but one thing I am sure of is the DT Philly population is significantly higher when compared to Baltimore. Most reports show Philadelphia's DT to be the 3rd largest in the country; and my recall is that baltimore was roughly half. Baltimore mave have closed the gap but another thing I know is that the population Center City grew by 14% since 2000.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Post pics and links, if not, u are wasting my time. Unlike philly, u can go to downtown Baltimore and immediately see how different it is compared to 5 years ago.
I think it's great you are proud of your city, which I would be too if I lived there. In fact, I'd take Baltimore over DC in a heartbeat. And no one is claiming it hasn't seen tremendous revitalization over the last several years which will hopefully continue. But that is changing the topics from some of your other claims such as Balto has more luxury condos than Philly, the same quantity and quality of amenities, an answer to Walnut Street, etc.

Baltimore doesn't have that big city swagger that Philly has:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/P5090124.jpg (broken link)

That said, enjoy what you have - Federal Hill, Mt Vernon, the harbor and Harbor East, Fells Point, Canton and the rest. Each US city has something great to offer.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
WOW! These dudes are laughable. Next thing, some one will post that Philly has more development going on than DC.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:41 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
THANK YOU!!!! I dunno where these people come up with this BS.. I grew up in Philly and still visit often and I never hear anybody really talking about New York as though we're/they're envious or somewhat inferior to that town..

Nu Yawk is what it is Annnd is just a lil more than an hour from US & we can visit up there twice a day if we choose or commute to work on a daily which many do.

As far as DC.... It's almost NEVER mentioned. As far as most Philadelphians are concerned it's down south. Ask the average Philadelphian his opinion about DC or visiting there and it'll usually get mentioned in there with Virginia, Maryland.. Not that that's a bad thing that's just a little perception.
So much truth in this post. You've made just about every point accurately. I'm from New York and I don't know where the hell this rivalry these southerners (Baltimore & DC) have made up. Outside of sports there is no rivalry. New Yorkers never say we hate Philly or, nor have I ever heard a native Philadelphian say that they hate New York.

Also DC is never a factor, the city itself lacks an identity and authenticity to me. I'll even give Baltimore the edge on that compared to DC. Now you wanna talk museums, monuments etc then DC is brought up...but how often are we talking museums and monuments?

Comparing Downtown Baltimore to Center City is suicide on any level, not to say the harbor isn't nice, but Baltimore people are beyond delusional if they think that DT baltimore can compete.. That's not even worth a debate. ...Ps I'm on my way to Baltimore

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Did you attend college in Philly?
No I didn't, after I graduated from HS in queens I moved down to Philly with my Father, since he lived here. I've always loved Philly.. And was happy to move here, a lot of friends and family.. Also I can get to my family in NY in a flash, so it's convienent and cheaper! I love Philly as much as I love NY I feel As though I belong to both.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Post pics and links, if not, u are wasting my time. Unlike philly, u can go to downtown Baltimore and immediately see how different it is compared to 5 years ago. Also, me and the people of dc may not see eye to eye, but u can't deny the fact that DC is improving leaps and bounds over philly... and pulling away quickly.
Ahh, I still see you are talking that delusional bs I see. Everything I said is fact. There even 8 figure condos being sold on the real estate market in center city 19103 Real Estate - 19103 Homes for Sale in PHILADELPHIA, PA - Realtor.com® (mods might cut this).And I'm still still waiting on those pictures or videos of downtown Baltimore that support your claim its vibrancy that "can hold its own" since I asked you first. I see that you are clinging to DC. DC surely has improved but it definitely does not leap bounds over Philly when it comes to improvements especially since DC is STILL statistically more dangerous than Philly.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
So much truth in this post. You've made just about every point accurately. I'm from New York and I don't know where the hell this rivalry these southerners (Baltimore & DC) have made up. Outside of sports there is no rivalry. New Yorkers never say we hate Philly or, nor have I ever heard a native Philadelphian say that they hate New York.

Also DC is never a factor, the city itself lacks an identity and authenticity to me. I'll even give Baltimore the edge on that compared to DC. Now you wanna talk museums, monuments etc then DC is brought up...but how often are we talking museums and monuments?

Comparing Downtown Baltimore to Center City is suicide on any level, not to say the harbor isn't nice, but Baltimore people are beyond delusional if they think that DT baltimore can compete.. That's not even worth a debate. ...Ps I'm on my way to Baltimore
I am prime example that DC does not lack any identity. Historically, DC has been a mecca for AA's. They have their own food, lingo, language, style, swag, etc.. just like ethnic groups in other cities. As for the southerner comment, DC is way more sophisticated, fast paced, cosmo than Philly wil ever be. In fact, Phily people come to DC to party because there is nothing in Philly that can stand up to DC's party districts throughout the city. There is nothing southern about DC. You would get laughed at in DC with your capris.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Ahh, I still see you are talking that delusional bs I see. Everything I said is fact. There even 8 figure condos being sold on the real estate market in center city 19103 Real Estate - 19103 Homes for Sale in PHILADELPHIA, PA - Realtor.com® (mods might cut this).And I'm still still waiting on those pictures or videos of downtown Baltimore that support your claim its vibrancy that "can hold its own" since I asked you first. I see that you are clinging to DC. DC surely has improved but it definitely does not leap bounds over Philly when it comes to improvements especially since DC is STILL statistically more dangerous than Philly.
Really? LLS

Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You are delusional if you think DC HASN'T IMPROVED by leaps and bounds over Philly. DC is building entire new neighborhoods, light rail and subway lines, parks on the waterfront,

NoMa | NoMa Business Improvement District, Washington, DC

http://www.dcyards.com/

The Wharf - Washington, DC

DC Streetcar Proposed System Plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City