Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:13 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Seattle is OK, too far removed from the rest of the USA, but love San Diego. Seattle's weather is extremely depressing year round.
Actually it's not depressing "year round"- Seattle gets mostly clear skies and sunshine throughout the summer months- the clouds and rain are mostly during the winter and parts of Spring/Fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 01:50 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually it's not depressing "year round"- Seattle gets mostly clear skies and sunshine throughout the summer months- the clouds and rain are mostly during the winter and parts of Spring/Fall.
Which is, by definition, three-quarters (75%, 75 100ths) of the year, forming a majority...

Late July to late September in Seattle are perfect. Then, it's like a cloud cover moves in over the city that hangs there till next April. April to July, there are breaks, but it's still mostly grey.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Seattle is OK, too far removed from the rest of the USA, but love San Diego. Seattle's weather is extremely depressing year round.
Both Seattle and San Diego are great.

Seattle is not "too far removed from the rest of the USA." I think you are talking about Alaska right there instead.

Of course some things suck about Seattle weather but it actually has its pros and aspects of the weather there that isn't bad in general which I can mention. However, let me say I am NOT a fan of Seattle weather. I am just trying to say it is not that bad and not "extremely depressing." Plus, Seattle has plenty of things going for it outside weather that makes it much easier to deal with the weather there.

For example, so far this year the USA had 800 to 1,000 tornadoes in the Midwestern and Southern USA. Seattle has pretty much a zero tornado risk and a zero hurricane risk and never had to deal with that. It also has a very low to non existent severe thunderstorm and lightning risk. So in this way, Seattle actually has "good" weather.

And in my opinion, Atlanta is extremely depressing year round but not because of its weather.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Did you know Seattle has an average of 47% of annual possible sunshine and 2,000 annual sunshine hours?

However, the year 2010 and how the year 2011 is so far in Seattle is having way below average sunshine.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 PM

79 posts, read 238,876 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to the Pacific Northwest? The summers here are absolutely perfect. Warm, sunny, never humid, almost no rain. Certainly not isolated from the rest of the country either, just not as over crowded as many places back east.

I've never been to San Diego, but I've heard it's great too.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM

217 posts, read 561,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

And in my opinion, Atlanta is extremely depressing year round but not because of its weather.
I lived in Atlanta and have to agree.
I could never live in a land locked city like that again.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 32,170 times
San Diego is one of the better cities in California, specifically in Socal. LA is great but I don't see my self actually living in the city, just near it/ around it. I've always want to visit Seattle. Whats there to see? Interesting parts, Hotels, and most importantly Coffee shops?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM

260 posts, read 757,353 times
To the O.P. This has been something that I MUST get off my chest. It's C-a-p-i-t-o-l Hill. Not Capital Hill.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:40 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,856,560 times
San Diego. First, it's in California. Second, the scenery and weather is awesome there and it is sunny most of the year!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
For example, so far this year the USA had 800 to 1,000 tornadoes in the Midwestern and Southern USA. Seattle has pretty much a zero tornado risk and a zero hurricane risk and never had to deal with that. It also has a very low to non existent severe thunderstorm and lightning risk. So in this way, Seattle actually has "good" weather.
Excellent point. I don't think Seattle gets enough credit for those attibutes relative to climate. I think about it a lot when I think about my childhood in Seattle vs. experiences since living in tornado, hurricane, and nor'easter zones. Seattle probably has the safest weather in the country. I remember an occasional (relatively small) flood or an avalanche east of the mountains once awhile, but other than that -- nothing to ever bother daily life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City