U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,564,064 times

Advertisements

I like O'hare but will probably like it much better when they do the $8 billion rebuild of virtually the whole thing. Dozens of new gates, three entirely new terminals, expansion of the rental car facility, brand new international terminal, new hotels, etc. Midway is also getting a $250M expansion right now, pushing out the terminal area and grossly expanding the security checkpoint, revamping the access from the trains.

One thing I do love about both Chicago airports is they have very frequent train/L access directly to the terminal from the train system.

I never understood why none of the New York airports were directly connected. Closest is Kennedy with the airtrain, but then you still need to wait around and transfer. The Laguardia upgrade is probably the most needed in the country, that airport is a complete disaster and i fly through all the time. Newark is decent, but still a lot of connecting around to get into manhattan and then to the subway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:35 AM

5,619 posts, read 13,299,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I like O'hare but will probably like it much better when they do the $8 billion rebuild of virtually the whole thing. Dozens of new gates, three entirely new terminals, expansion of the rental car facility, brand new international terminal, new hotels, etc. Midway is also getting a $250M expansion right now, pushing out the terminal area and grossly expanding the security checkpoint, revamping the access from the trains.

One thing I do love about both Chicago airports is they have very frequent train/L access directly to the terminal from the train system.

I never understood why none of the New York airports were directly connected. Closest is Kennedy with the airtrain, but then you still need to wait around and transfer. The Laguardia upgrade is probably the most needed in the country, that airport is a complete disaster and i fly through all the time. Newark is decent, but still a lot of connecting around to get into manhattan and then to the subway.
For public transit connection to Manhattan, EWR is probably the best IMO. PATH is exploring extending the NWK/WTC line to EWR for a one-seat PATH ride that costs only $2.70 one way from EWR to Manhattan. NJT does provide direct access from EWR to NY Penn on commuter lines, but those are more expensive and less frequent than PATH.

I love Midway for the food options tbh lol. I love that you can get good Chicago food in the airport. I haven't flown in/out/through O'Hare in years, but when I fly Southwest across the country with layovers, I'll purposely schedule the layover through Midway so I can get some good food.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 AM

10,320 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

LGA Airtrain under construction which will connect to 7 train for etc to Manhattan or other areas in Queens. NYC looking into idea of ferry service from Midtown, Harlem, Brooklyn to LGA area.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 AM

3,653 posts, read 1,767,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinNYC View Post
Sorry for replying so long after the post, plus it’s been 10-15 years since I connected through Kansas City, so it may be different, but this is how it was for me. When you’re in the air, the airport looks like DFW with the semicircular terminals, but when you get off the plane, you see it’s like DFW, but at about 1/10 the scale, and each security clearance point is for only 2 gates, so you’re probably going to have to clear security again for your connecting flight. All amenities are outside security, so if you have 30 minutes to make your connection, forget about eating or having a beer and just get in line. Worst airport I’ve been to, although maybe they’ve improved since the early-mid 20-aughts.
Native Kansas Citian here.

MCI was the prototype for DFW: the same architects designed both, and KCI opened about four years before DFW. The city built the airport to this design at the behest of its hometown airline, Trans World Airlines, which thought the drive-to-your-gate idea would be more convenient for flyers (this was before the airlines adopted hub-and-spoke route systems).

It had two fatal flaws from the beginning: concourses that are too narrow and no separation of arrival and departure traffic (DFW lacks both of these defects). Then came the installation of metal detectors about a year after it opened in response to the wave of hijackings, and those wrecked the concept completely. A disappointed TWA approached the city asking that it rebuild the airport (or so I've heard). The city, having just shelled out beaucoup bucks for this one, refused.

A few years later, TWA moved its Midwest flight hub across the state to Lambert-St. Louis International Airport. I don't think the two events were connected - ISTR Carl Icahn's takeover oF TWA came in between the two - but some say they were.

Your, my and millions of other travelers' suffering will end about three or four years from now when a new single-terminal finger-pier airport with a single security gateway will open on the site of mothballed Terminal A.

Quote:
Philadelphia has a separate train station for each terminal, which is nice, but good luck on understanding anything the SEPTA conductors are saying.
If you're lucky, you will get one of SEPTA's newest Regional Rail passenger coaches, which have automated stop announcements with a clearly understandable female voice.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:56 PM

2,297 posts, read 1,063,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
If you're lucky, you will get one of SEPTA's newest Regional Rail passenger coaches, which have automated stop announcements with a clearly understandable female voice.
Yes, automated voice is sooooo much better to understand. For visitors too. You clearly know what station is next and you are stopped at. I complement Chicago CTA for implementing it years ago in its trains. Their's is a male voice and so are NYC's newer cars.

this YouTube video shows who he is.

Chicago began its automated voice on trains in the late 90s. You can get a phone app. That tells you when a train is due and leave the coffee shop in time to catch it on a cold winters day.
The voice of Chicago's trains. A Milwaukee native ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c7NGPD9ViE

The voice of NYC's newer cars and airports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VycbVmWBFw

Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,085,422 times
Not sure about best, but Tampa is an underrated really good one.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM

10,320 posts, read 7,225,131 times
Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, John Wayne Airport, Portland International Airport, Indianapolis International Airport, Las Vegas

Old 05-08-2018, 04:30 PM

408 posts, read 839,292 times
I think PDX in Portland is one of the best environments to just hang out in if you're stuck for awhile - same with MLPS. The newer remodeled parts of Pitt are really nice. HATE LAX. DFW is pretty amazing. Birmingham actually has a really nice airport; small but nice.

My favorite airport to move through was the old Earle Ovington terminal in Santa Barbara - tiny and stress free.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:44 PM

1,810 posts, read 1,496,475 times
I'll tell you the airport that was biggest letdown: LAX. By faaaaaaaaaaaarrrr.... LA deserves so much better.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:50 PM

758 posts, read 355,194 times
Best airport in the US? I'll go with Detroit on this one. At least as far as major airports go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or