U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:06 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,548,246 times

Advertisements

what cities have the best and nicest looking airports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 08:19 PM

332 posts, read 359,365 times
Dallas,Texas!

Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
I vote Dallas and Atlanta.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM

4,381 posts, read 3,147,242 times
For a city its size, (only 50,000 & metro 150,000) Alexandria, LA has a nice small airport.

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/2559890/terminal.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/3013668/inside-terminal.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/2559904/waterfall-inside-terminal.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM

332 posts, read 359,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
For a city its size, (only 50,000 & metro 150,000) Alexandria, LA has a nice small airport.

http://static3.bareka.com/photos/medium/2559890/terminal.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/3013668/inside-terminal.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/2559904/waterfall-inside-terminal.jpg (broken link)
OOO that is a very nice looking airport. I like the modern look it has inside and out.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 PM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
BWI in Baltimore is really great...very clean and modern. Now if only the rest of the city can be like that!

Chicago O'Hare, Las Vegas-McCarran and Washington-Reagan are very impressive airports too.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:21 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,791 times
Mpls. and Chicago are impressive. San Francisco is utilitarian, kinda large but pretty depressing. New Orleans is a joke, anyone down there want to explain that?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:37 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
BWI in Baltimore is really great...very clean and modern. Now if only the rest of the city can be like that!

Chicago O'Hare, Las Vegas-McCarran and Washington-Reagan are very impressive airports too.
Wow, how could I forget Baltimore! Southwest basically redid the entire airport, and it's very nice and very impressive.

I liked the DFW airport too.. we arrived two hours earlier than expected, and I just rode the train to different parts of airport. I'm glad I didn't get lost. Lol.

Indianapolis' new airport should be up there as well, even though it's taking forever to build.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 AM

1,872 posts, read 5,788,391 times
I've travel quite a bit for work, and I'd have to say, the best, in my opinion, is actually Denver.

Apparently it's architecture is noted among airport architecture enthusiasts (!) -- it was designed to mimic snow-capped mountains. But the reason I like it is because it has a very wide open and spacious feel, it lets in a lot of natural light (and given that it's so sunny here, that makes it very bright all the time), it's clean (not surprising, since it is relatively new), and the security lines usually move very fast. Granted, because it is a newer airport, built on a huge amount of space away from the urban area, DIA had the luxury of learning from other, older airports and really creating an expansive structure. There's a poster/banner in the United terminal (I think) that I love -- it shows a skier in knee-deep powder and it reads: "You are now 5,280 feet above Wall Street".

I lived in Chicago, so flew in/out of O'Hare a lot. Put simply, I dislike O'Hare. Traffic in/out of O'Hare is terrible. The security lines are long, the terminals are crowded, but the worst are the weather-related delays. If it's a little snowy, everything's delayed. If it's a little windy, everything's delayed. If it's sunny and perfect weather, no one expects it, and so everything's delayed as well!

I fly into DFW quite a bit as well. While the new terminals are okay (they could've made them a bit more spacious), the old ones are kinda dumpy. Things are not very well marked, there are swathes of terminal faces that are just blank walls and/or under construction. The best thing about DFW is the huge, new rental car center -- all airport rental car centers should be built like that.

I'm sure many of the newer airports are/will be pretty nice, since they are built with the heavy air traffic volume in mind, and with an eye on design aesthetics in mind. The older airports are very utilitarian, and were not necessarily designed to handle the huge crush of travelers today.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:24 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,740,122 times
I agree... Denver has a beautiful airport and it rarely feels congested and crowded which is amazing considering the amount of passengers it serves... I would say however, that weather delays can be a bit of a problem, especially during the winter during major snow storms. I have been stuck in Denver on two seperate occasions waiting for snow storms to clear

I can't believe that Las Vegas McCarran was mentioned as a "good" airport. The security lines are horrendous, the concourses feel crammed together, and there is just no flow/pattern to the design whatsoever. I'm sure McCarran served Las Vegas well 50 years ago but nowadays with the major population boom, not to mention the millions of tourists that fly in and out of that airport every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or