Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:53 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times

Advertisements

Houston has much better weather. Weather is the ONLY downside to Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Chicago--I don't do humidity.
Well Chicago has got plenty of humidity for you

Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Houston has much better weather. Weather is the ONLY downside to Chicago
What about crime and murders? Chicago has the second highest murder rate of any US big city. It's almost triple that of NYC and double LA's.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
So, how's the weather? Right now, 5/19/12 at early afternoon, Houston, which should be in its 4-month summer (JJAS) is showing:

86 degrees/43% humid/felt temperature: 86 degrees

I looked at their average, and during the summer season (JJAS), the average lows are 75/77/77/71, meaning it might be sticky at night, but doable. Then, check out how temperate the winter months are:

Average Weather for Houston, TX - Temperature and Precipitation

Chicago? Seriously?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:41 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What about crime and murders? Chicago has the second highest murder rate of any US big city. It's almost triple that of NYC and double LA's.
Crime is bad but do you honestly think if I moved to Chicago it would be to the ghetto areas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Chicago? Seriously?
I agree. I feel like the only reason people even say Chicago is because the live in places like Boston, Detroit, Minneapolis, or Philly where they have to deal with bad winters and humid summers.

People in LA are so spoiled

Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Is this true? Is Chicago's rate higher than Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St Louis, Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, or Miami?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm shocked how many people are overexaggerating the summers. I absolutely HATE HATE HATE heat and humidity. It certainly can get hot and humid in Chicago during heat waves, but July and August average the low 80's in Chicago. Some days are bad, but overall Chicago summers are pretty great. Not to mention the mentality and energy in the city skyrockets from mid May through mid October.
That's been exactly my perception as well...there are those too who argue that Minneapolis is terrible in the summer...pretty ridiculous IMO. I would never live in Houston. Where i live now the summers are intolerable enough in terms of heat and humidity, and the winters are moderately cold and snowy, but not consistently cold and snowy enough to satisfy me. Houston has no winter, and its summers are IMO as bad as anywhere in the country. I could never live in a summer where the AVERAGE high temperature is in the upper 90s, and heat indices are over 115 degrees consistently.

I guess being on the ocean gives Houston somewhat of a relief from the heat, but Chicago has an answer for that...Lake Michigan.

I'd just prefer Chicago because like where I live now, it gets all four seasons, and its winters are more of what I'd like.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,968 times
Quote:
Stay away from the South side and East Chicago. You should be fine.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:05 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Is this true? Is Chicago's rate higher than Detroit, Baltimore, Cleveland, St Louis, Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta, New Orleans, or Miami?
In this context "big city" is usually defined as more than one million residents and Chicago is (a distant) second to Philadelphia.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:19 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
In this context "big city" is usually defined as more than one million residents and Chicago is (a distant) second to Philadelphia.
Do you have a citation or reference for that? I've never heard of that kind of definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City