Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 03:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times

Advertisements

Which place is better?

Old 09-19-2007, 03:33 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
In what ways? Downtown? Chicago. Food? Chicago. Weather? LA. Culturally? Tie. Economically? Tie. Natural scenery? LA. Man-made scenery? Chicago. COL? Chicago. Arts/sciences? Id lean more towards Chicago. Sports? Tie. Nightlife? Tie. Global status? Tie.

Theyre similar in many ways, but Chicago has the downtown core which I think is absolutely essential for big-city living. Or else you might as well live in a big suburb.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:21 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
In what ways? Downtown? Chicago. Food? Chicago. Weather? LA. Culturally? Tie. Economically? Tie. Natural scenery? LA. Man-made scenery? Chicago. COL? Chicago. Arts/sciences? Id lean more towards Chicago. Sports? Tie. Nightlife? Tie. Global status? Tie.

I agree with all of these, but LA has a more known image than chicago imo
Overall, i would say Chicago, altough I've never been to LA

Old 09-19-2007, 05:55 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,300,433 times
I can't vote because I've never been to Chicago.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Theyre similar in many ways, but Chicago has the downtown core which I think is absolutely essential for big-city living. Or else you might as well live in a big suburb.
Weather actually depends on what you want Steve-O. Chicago's climate has a lot more diversity than L.A.'s. Chicago also is much more centrally located than Los Angeles. You can travel anywhere from Chicago unlike Los Angeles, where certain parts of the lower 48 just take impossibly way too long to vacation in using a car.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
The LA hate couldn't be contained in one thread?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:25 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,480 times
Finally a thread I can vote in cause I've been to both cities

Well.. I voted for Los Angeles, because its my first love as I call it, but I have to say that in some ways I liked Chicago more. The architecture in Chicago is amazing. And man, what an awesome skyline! I LOVE big cities, sky scrapers, and etc.. so I really loved Chicago. But I dont know how well I'd do in the winter. I do like snow, and wearing jackets and coats, but I think it'd get old really fast. I love the warmer weather of L.A., the palm trees (I'm from Miami, after all), the beaches, and the whole west coast vibe. My first major city pick is always L.A., but Chicago comes in a close second.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
*facepalms*
Oh god, not again...

I've stood up for Los Angeles and of course I'm going to stand up for Chicago. I can't vote. I love both cities (and yes, Los Angeles is really a city, it just isn't conformist to its urban design as others are).

In general I'd pick Chicago to live in simply because life in Los Angeles is just so much harder. I know the image of the California lifestyle is one of ease and warmth, luxury and pampering, but that's not the case at all. I thought that lugging my sorry ass around downtown Chicago on poor public transport to fight with others for a cab after doing giant grocery shoppings every week was a nightmare, or the seemingly endless things the city of Chicago can (and will) fine you for, the general energy required just to live in a very fast-paced city core... But Los Angeles just requires so much more work if you're not ultra-wealthy.

Aside from that, both cities strike a chord in me because of the way they are nationally regarded. And that regard is one of extremely harsh judgment. Chicago is seen as a second-hand town, a poor imitation of Manhattan, and Los Angeles is the Great Evil Suburban Empire. I feel a lot of sympathy for that kind of underdog treatment.

Overall I rate Chicago higher simply because Chicago really does solve problems. We have unquestionably the most corrupt and useless politicians in the country, but when there's a problem in this city... you can't find a more aggressive or talented group of problem-solvers from both public and private sectors that immediately jump to fix it. Los Angeles, on the other hand, has very many real problems that are serious in their degree of magnitude; a diminishing water supply, extreme drought and wildfires, an unsustainable economy of debt, and a crumbling infrastructure that is so expensive to fix even the insane tax rates are incapable of raising the money to do so. This is a pity because I really do like Los Angeles.

Yes, Chicago is always gray and almost always cold, but I like weather to be cold and dry. I like to wear heavy clothing from stylish designers that thrive because they compete in a market of pure talent, not those overly saturated with whatever designer E! or Vogue are propagandizing for this week. I like to sit on my friend's porch in the dead end of winter with a blanket and drink a hot toddy while the snow in the neighborhood glows in the sunset.

So my complete affection for both cities is undiminished

Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM

234 posts, read 1,157,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The LA hate couldn't be contained in one thread?

hahha thats true LA is the most hated city but still it gets the most tourist and all the famous people want to live. LA is known all over the world unlike chicago. my vote is for LA. there is nothing i want to see in chicago period, nothing comes to mind. hey im being honest. what is there to see there? lake michigan. if that lake is not in chicago then close enough, bcuz i can care less. i dont care about those great lakes when i can see the pacific ocean.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:57 PM

35 posts, read 185,604 times
Chicago by a small margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City