Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 PM

199 posts, read 355,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic View Post
Everyone in the other countries are full of people who descended from folk were either too timid to make the trip or satisfied with where they were. Timid people are easily satisfied and satisfied people are.. .well... satisfied.
Wrong. Canadians are also overwhelmingly people from Europe and around the world, just like Americans. Same with Australians. Or do you think white and other non-indigenous people were in Canada and Australia 1000 years ago too?

That has nothing to do with why they rank higher than American cities on these lists. If what you say is why "America is so great", than American cities would dominate the top of these lists. They don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm not a loony right guy but let's fact it, these so-called "quality of life" polls are determined by variables that (what we would consider in this country) the left wing sees fit.

That's why the bed-wetters who love what Norway, Denmark, Sweden, France, Finland and other countries have accomplished are liberals. They go ga-ga.

Before somebody tells me to go back to Fox News (a network I don't much care for), step back, assess and tell me that I'm not correct.
They use factors that any sane-minded person would "see fit".

Old 05-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Mercer's factors:

Mercer hardship allowance recommendations
Mercer evaluates local living conditions in all the 420 cities it surveys worldwide. Living conditions are analysed according to 39 factors, grouped in 10 categories:
  1. Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement, etc)
  1. Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services, etc)
  1. Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom, etc)
  1. Health and sanitation (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc)
  1. Schools and education (standard and availability of international schools, etc)
  1. Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transport, traffic congestion, etc)
  1. Recreation (restaurants, theatres, cinemas, sports and leisure, etc)
  1. Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc)
  1. Housing (housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services, etc)
  1. Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

The scores attributed to each factor allow for city-to-city comparisons to be made. The result is a quality of living index that compares the relative differences between any two locations. For the indices to be used in a practical manner, Mercer has created a grid that allows companies to link the resulting index to a quality of living allowance amount by recommending a percentage value in relation to the index.

The Economists factors:

"The ranking scores 140 cities from 0-100 on 30 factors spread across five areas: stability, health care, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure. These numbers are then weighted and combined to produce an overall figure."

Monocle's factors:

"
Important criteria in this non-scientific survey[citation needed] are safety/crime, international connectivity, climate/sunshine, quality of architecture, public transportation, tolerance, environmental issues and access to nature, urban design, business conditions, pro active policy developments and medical care."

Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM

208 posts, read 411,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
So everthing is frozen in time? Because my ancestors left central Europe in the mid-19th century over dissatisfaction with their situations, that automatically makes me and all the other living relatives of these people "never satisfied"??? I don't think so. Yes, I may want better than what my country is today, but it's because I can think, not because my great great great, etc. grandfather decided life in 1860's Europe sucked.
Everything is not frozen in time, but people inherit physical and psychological traits from their ancestors. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

The reason why African Americans are generally bigger and stronger than other races is because only the strongest were chosen to be shipped over to America, and of them only the strongest survived the hellish boat ride. the average African in Africa does not grow as big and as strong as the average African American purely by genetics.

Everyone can think for themselves. How they react to WHAT they are thinking about is a character trait. These are for the most part inherited. You can learn to change your mind, but your instant, knee-jerk reaction to something is not directly under your control and you usually get from your parents, who got it from their parents.

This is why the VAST MAJORITY OF HUMAN BEINGS end up being just like their parents. The odd "black sheep" in the family is the exception, not the rule. Forget what stupid movies and bad music told you about individuality and your rebellious teenage years, you are made up of your parents genetic material, and the vast majority of us will eventually become similar to them. There will come a day where you stop and go "Holy ****, I'm just like my dad/mom...."

Being unique is just that. Unique. There are maybe 100 truly unique people living on Earth right now, but I doubt the number is even that high.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
I often wondered why american cities have so much more violent crime and homelessness than our canadian cities.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I often wondered why american cities have so much more violent crime and homelessness than our canadian cities.
One factor could be high-school drop-out rates. The US still has a huge number of people who don't finish high school. And if you don't finish high school in this day and age, your options are limited. So a lot of those people resort to drug dealing and other crime.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:36 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
I get the feeling most of the differences can be pinned on having a non-homogenous society as compared to most other societies.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:37 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times
Public transportation is a major issue. We are the only developed western country without high speed rail, for example. It's usually one of the categories to determine these types of rankings. We, as a nation, are pathetic in that category.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:39 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Too many people and too little resources. Governing 30 million people is very different from governing 300 million.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
It has a lot to do with American laws/politics, and less with the actual cities themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City