U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:17 PM

4,514 posts, read 8,603,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
The City of L. A. relaxed the tight restrictions on construction practices pertaining to height and distance from streets and other structures. Same rules other cities have relating to airspace and such.
Once L.A. has their great earthquake, hopefully Angelenos will be like the Chicagoans in 1871 and rebuild it correctly, consolidating most business from West L.A. in DT Los Angeles and keeping West L.A. majority residential. One mistake that I hope that will not be repeated is the Equitable Building controversy that forced the adoption of the 1916 Zoning Resolution in N.Y.C.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-12-2007 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 08-11-2007, 02:06 AM

1,134 posts, read 856,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Once L.A. has their great earthquake, hopefully Angelenos will be like the Chicagoans in 1871 and rebuild it correctly, consolidating most business from West L.A. in DT Los Angeles and keeping West L.A. majority residential. One mistake that I hope that will not be repeated is the Equitable Building controversy that forced the adoption of the 1916 Zoning Resolution in N.Y.C.
"Their great earthquake", something that could kill tens of thousands, depending on the time of day. Cute. City Center 2, or Century, would not be redesigned as you like. It works just fine. Los Angeles will always have adequate ventilation and sunlight, unlike the rather unhealthy design of Manhattan, because L. A. is not a sandbar in the middle of a river. Plenty of room, so the restrictions of 1916's zoning resolution would not matter. It is, however, proactive to maintain a lighter mass toward the top of any structure in a level 4 seismic zone, like Los Angeles.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 AM

718 posts, read 2,441,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
TheRealAngelion.... Compton, Long Beach, etc are so wonderful too arent they. Are you saying LA has no crime and no children accidentally killed? Noone is making Chicago out to be a utopia. However, you are trying to point out Chicago's faults and trying to make LA seem like a utopia compared to Chicago. You couldnt be further from the truth.

And seriously, the Getty and Disney????? If those are architectural landmarks in LA, then, well... no comment.
Long Beach actually is a large city with narly half a million people. You could be in a ghetto in east long beach and go across town in be in multimillion dollar dwellings. You only know compton and long beach because you probably heard a snoop dog song. More proof you never really experienced southern california.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 AM

404 posts, read 514,166 times
Well, if I have to choose one. L.A.

2.5 grams of pot= class 4 felony and +- 1 year in jail in CHicago. Where as in L.A. the same amount = $100.00 fine. However <6 live plants = misdemeanor in Chicago and +- 6 months in jail, but in L.A. it seems to be a massive LEO bust and L.A. has the favorable law.

Sorry, but that's the only reason I would have, to live in L.A.

EDIT: I went back to verify the information, and my quotes came directly from the ILCS. NORML has different amounts, with 1st timer offense probation eligible. I'll stick with the ILCS guidelines.

Last edited by thepizzaguy; 08-11-2007 at 05:11 AM..

Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 AM

1,134 posts, read 856,141 times
veryhelpfulinformationandwecanallbenefitfromthatco ngratulationsonyourwittyandtimelypostduuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Old 08-11-2007, 06:38 AM

404 posts, read 514,166 times
Sorry. I wasn;t making light of anything. If it's seen as a joke, it should be more of a warming.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,411,916 times
....this is so funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
Well, if I have to choose one. L.A.

2.5 grams of pot= class 4 felony and +- 1 year in jail in CHicago. Where as in L.A. the same amount = $100.00 fine. However <6 live plants = misdemeanor in Chicago and +- 6 months in jail, but in L.A. it seems to be a massive LEO bust and L.A. has the favorable law.

Sorry, but that's the only reason I would have, to live in L.A.

EDIT: I went back to verify the information, and my quotes came directly from the ILCS. NORML has different amounts, with 1st timer offense probation eligible. I'll stick with the ILCS guidelines.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:16 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
Long Beach actually is a large city with narly half a million people. You could be in a ghetto in east long beach and go across town in be in multimillion dollar dwellings. You only know compton and long beach because you probably heard a snoop dog song. More proof you never really experienced southern california.
Long Beach was a dive. We stopped at a Pep Boys there many years ago, it was one of the most spray-painted and bum-heavy cities Ive laid eyes upon. I know I wasnt in the "good parts", but what I saw warranted enough disgust to see what most of SoCal is really like---disgusting. Same goes for Anaheim and Hollywood! I was appalled. I did enjoy Yorba Linda and San Diego... does that count?

Old 08-11-2007, 01:19 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,580,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Long Beach was a dive. We stopped at a Pep Boys there many years ago, it was one of the most spray-painted and bum-heavy cities Ive laid eyes upon. I know I wasnt in the "good parts", but what I saw warranted enough disgust to see what most of SoCal is really like---disgusting. Same goes for Anaheim and Hollywood! I was appalled. I did enjoy Yorba Linda and San Diego... does that count?
I have never seen anything more disgusting than the south side of Chicago. Really competes with Detroit, Gary, and Queens and areas of Baltimore as one of the worst slums in America.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:22 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,655,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I have never seen anything more disgusting than the south side of Chicago. Really competes with Detroit, Gary, and Queens and areas of Baltimore as one of the worst slums in America.
The whole southside isn't bad.The parts of the southside I was by were just working class neighborhoods.It wasn't a bunch of graffiti,boarded up houses,and urban decay.I can't comment on Los Angeles because I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City