U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:53 PM

546 posts, read 2,237,060 times

Advertisements

Honestly, WHO CARES? Some people prefer LA. Some people prefer Chicago. Both have their pros and cons. Both offer a lot to our great country, and are both world class cities.

IMO, although I've never been to LA, I get the idea that there's more of a laid back lifestyle, with NEWER money, known for producing movies, etc. The area is more dependent on cars compared to Chicago.. as the public transportation system is not as extensive as Chicago's.

Chicago is more business oriented with a faster pace of life. I'm not saying LA isn't business oriented, I'm saying Chicago is more so. A bit more segregated, and is known as the capital of the midwest. City limits are a LOT smaller than Los Angeles, and the city itself is more dense.

Los Angeles has better weather, but is more polluted. Chicago has cleaner air, but doesn't have the best winters. Tons of construction in Chicago (that's probably what we're best known for), but I can't speak for the LA area.

More people prefer Los Angeles, obviously because the metropolitan area is bigger. But both are great cities.. why can't we just live with that?

Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,581,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Downtown1 created this thread.How is he a want-to-be Chicagoan and a Chicago native?
Okay. Thanks for pointing that out. I was confusing him with you. You created the other thread involving Chicago and LA. The point is that he's a Chicagoan and it has been well demonstrated on this Web site that Chicagoans have a major inferiority complex, otherwise they would just talk about the greatness of their own city without needing to contrast it with others.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Honestly, WHO CARES? Some people prefer LA. Some people prefer Chicago. Both have their pros and cons. Both offer a lot to our great country, and are both world class cities.

More people prefer Los Angeles, obviously because the metropolitan area is bigger. But both are great cities.. why can't we just live with that?
Ditto. That's the exact question you should ask your fellow Chicagoans who keep promoting these sorts of threads.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I just happen to like Chicago,that doesn't mean I want to live there.
That would be the case for most people I know, including me.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:12 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,658,291 times
Shot,I accidentally deleted my post that stated that I like Chicago,I was trying to delete my second post where I stated Downtown1 can't be a want to be Chicagoan and a Chicago Native.Sorry about that.I don't want to live in Chicago because I want some place to be my main vacation spot.So if your wondering why those posts aren't there thats why.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,560 times
Hey..The Chicago Tribune is the owner of The LA Times so be sure you don't bad mouth your boss

LA metro still has more murders than the entire Chicago region. LA metro is the most dangerous in the US, much more than Chicago & New York and that has been shown on the National Geographic Channel & MSNBC. You missed those shows, my friend :-)

Seems to me some Angelenos really have an inferiority complex and insecurity about their city's image. They always reacted angrily whenever someone criticizes it.

...I am not even from Chicago BUT I will move to Chicago soon. Call me a Chicagoan wannabe or anything that you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I know. Don't remind me of this unthinkable horror. Being held by an inferior news organization in a lessor town is quite depressing.

The fact is that Chicago is the most dangerous of the three big U.S. cities with a murder rate far exceeding that of both LA and New York.

So. This means nothing to me. She is entitled to say and think whatever she wishes.

Oh please, you and others are very emotional in your envy and jealousy of LA and your lust for its power and prestige. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation which was created by a want-to-be Chicagoan and prolonged by Chicago natives like you.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 PM

I see you are back for another smackdown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Hey..The Chicago Tribune is the owner of The LA Times so be sure you don't bath mouth your boss
You don't understand LA. We aren't afraid to speak our minds. And even though Tribune thought buying the LA Times would lift its abysmal news reporting acumen and poor standing among the elite in journalistic circles, it won't work. Typical of those Chicagoan newspapermen thinking they can buy prestige to make themselves worth paying attention to. Sorry.

Quote:
LA metro still has more murders than the entire Chicago region. LA metro is the most dangerous in the US, much more than Chicago & New York and that has been shown on National Geographic Channel & MSNBC. You missed those shows, my friend :-)
Chicago is the most dangerous of the three big U.S. cities with a murder rate that far exceeds that of LA and New York. Sorry. Now help your city do something to fix it.

Quote:
Seems to me some Angelenos really have an inferiority complex and insecurity about their city's image. They always reacted angrily whenever someone criticizes it.
Uhh...I think you are confusing your own kind with Angelinos who really haven't been terribly active in this thread.

Quote:
I am not even from Chicago BUT I will move to Chicago soon. Call me a Chicagoan wannabe or anything that you like
I wish you luck. You will need it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-12-2007 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: insults

Old 08-11-2007, 06:16 PM

2,368 posts, read 6,658,291 times
That thread name really is good because this has really become a battle.But I'll state my position as being neutral.As much as I like Chicago,I have never been to Los Angeles,so I really know nothing about L.A.,other than what I see in pictures stats,and popular culture.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
That thread name really is good because this has really become a battle.But I'll state my position as being neutral.As much as I like Chicago,I have never been to Los Angeles,so I really know nothing about L.A.,other than what I see in pictures stats,and popular culture.
Battle? There's no battle. Chicago is not even on LA's radar. Once you have the opportunity to visit you will see what I mean. Besides, the stats speak for themsevles no matter what people post here. Population, tourists, economic power, national and international presence and influence, media coverage, high concentration of celebrities and billionaire residents...LA is in a different stratosphere altogether by comparison. The back and forth here is all just for fun and amusement.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 08-11-2007 at 06:35 PM..

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,560 times

Why don't you help LA to fix this? LA's image as the Gang capital of America is making headlines all over the world...I REPEAT ...ALL OVER THE WORLD...don't you get it? If you did not know then blame it on the media for all unnecessary coverages on retarded celebs like Paris Hilton & Lindsay Lohan.

"A bloody conflict between Hispanic and black gangs is spreading across Los Angeles. Hundreds are dying as whole districts face the threat of ethnic cleansing. Paul Harris reports from the epicentre of America's new urban warfare"

Gang mayhem grips LA | World | The Observer

"In a very short period of time, Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, has arguably become the biggest and most dangerous gang in the world. In the 1980's a law was enacted that would deport non-U.S. citizens convicted of serious crimes back to their home countries after serving their sentences. This resulted in hundreds of thousands of criminal offenders, including thousands of gang members, being returned to countries that had never encountered gang problems – such has been the case with El Salvador. Rather than return to the U.S., many gang members stayed in their home countries and brought gangbanging culture with them"

National Geographic Channel: World's Most Dangerous Gang (http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/channel/blog/2006/01/explorer_gangs.html - broken link)

Its hard to change LA's image as the "Gang capital of America" and home of the World's Most Dangerous Gang, huh?

Hey...don't try to BS with me...Compton (a neighborhood in LA area) is the most dangerous place as compared to the Chicago South Side and New York. Don't spin around, my friend

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I see you are back for another smackdown:

You are borderline delusional. I know the truth hurts. But it is a fact that you can't change no matter how many deflections you attempt post here. Chicago is the most dangerous of the three big U.S. cities with a murder rate that far exceeds that of LA and New York. Sorry. Now help your city do something to fix it.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-11-2007 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City