U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,411,042 times

Advertisements

Like I mentioned earlier....!!!

On things such as entertainment, social & cultural influences, celebrity obsession....yes. You must thank Hollywood for this.

However, NY & Chicago still overshadow LA in other areas such as historical importance, achitecture, hi-tech, political clout, commerce & finance, Fortune 500 companies concentration in the region, quality of life to name a few.

Young people probably don't know much about all of these and I don't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Los Angeles public transportations is okay but the city itself knows it needs to be improved and it is.
Too bad thats your opinion because to the eyes of the world Los Angeles overshadows Chicago.
but you tell yourself whatever makes you feel better.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:37 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier....!!!

On things such as entertainment, social & cultural influences, celebrity obsession....yes. You must thank Hollywood for this.

However, NY & Chicago still overshadow LA in other areas such as historical importance, achitecture, hi-tech, political clout, commerce & finance, Fortune 500 companies concentration in the region, quality of life to name a few.

Young people probably don't know much about all of these and I don't blame them.
New York, Chicago, and LA are all well known cities and each has its strengths and unique contributions to the U.S. economic, political and cultural landscape.

History-NY and Chicago feature more prominently in early American history, but history is being made as we type. It's fluid and does not stop. The books are still open.

Architecture - Chicago has a great, cohesive architectural look but that does not mean that individual works are superior to that in LA. LA is home to some of the most highly celebrated acrchitecture in the world (i.e. Getty museum, Disney Concert Hall) and is home to some of the world's most renown architects (i.e. Frank Gehry).

hi-tech - not quite sure what you mean here, but the LA area has been a leader in defense and space technology for decades.

political clout -The LA area has produced two U.S. presidents in the last 40 years, has one of the largest congressional delegations, a slew of cabinet secretaries, viturally controls the CA governor's office. I don't see how you outshine on this front.

commerce and finance- Well that's Chicago's calling card just like entertainment and international trade are LA's. So that's a wash.

Fortune 500 - where a company is headquartered means little. Economic output does. LA wins! However since you brought it up, although the city of Chicago has more Fortune 500 companies, the LA metro area has approximately 40 and the state of CA has the most overall with at least 110.

Quality of life-purely subjective. But since the LA population is larger and includes MANY refugees from Chicago AND New York, all let that record speak for itself.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:16 PM

1,134 posts, read 854,836 times
Every comes to America, and everyone ends up in California, and then they trickle down into L. A. It's science.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,567,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Every comes to America, and everyone ends up in California, and then they trickle down into L. A. It's science.
The only people that are actually accumulating in California are illegal immigrants and legal Hispanics--basically just Hispanics. As for native Californians, the American born citizens, they are leaving like crazy. California, especially LA, is becoming less desirable for families every day. LA will not be an American city in 10 years, it will be Hispanic. Americans are the freaking minority in that city already!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Futurecop, every time I read one of your posts it sounds like you have no idea of what you are talking about. You sound like a teenager trying to deffend a bad arguement. Sorry. People in Los Angeles dont drive everywhere!...I see people jogging, walking, and socializing every day. Some of the friends I have today I met while walking on the street.
Of course you'll see people walking and jogging. I've seen people walking and jogging past silos in the middle of Central New York, but that doesn't make the town a "walking town." Besides, in LA it's excersise, in Chi and NY, it's life. The majority of people in LA drive everywhere, literally.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
The only people that are actually accumulating in California are illegal immigrants and legal Hispanics--basically just Hispanics. As for native Californians, the American born citizens, they are leaving like crazy. California, especially LA, is becoming less desirable for families every day. LA will not be an American city in 10 years, it will be Hispanic. Americans are the freaking minority in that city already!
You are only 16 and already xenophobic. And you want to become a police officer on top of that. God help us all. Especially new immigrants who are not white.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
You are only 16 and already xenophobic. And you want to become a police officer on top of that. God help us all. Especially new immigrants who are not white.
I'm not racist, I have a Hispanic friend. I do not fear immigrants, I fear having to speak Spanish everywhere I go. I know a Miami PD cop, they need to call translators almost all the time to execute an arrest. It takes a lot of time out of the job, and it's real pain in the ass. If you had any idea what it's like to go through this, you'd agree with me. Now in school, I have to work 50 times as hard in Spanish class.

But if I pull over a Hispanic man or woman who can speak English and has an honest job, I'm perfectly happy.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I'm not racist, I have a Hispanic friend.
Oh, how nice. One Hispanic friend (Applause).

Quote:
I do not fear immigrants, I fear having to speak Spanish everywhere I go.
Such irrational fear is the very definition of xenophobia.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Oh, how nice. One Hispanic friend (Applause).

Such irrational fear is the very definition of xenophobia.
99% of Americans have that same fear.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:21 PM

718 posts, read 2,440,666 times
Quote:
Obviously, you've never been to New York. We have mountains.

Considering LA has perfect weather, they don't take advantage of it. People aren't out walking around, they aren't out socializing with people, and they drive everywhere!
yes people never go out in LA. never, we dont enjoy the sun all year around, thats why we all dont have tans because we aer never in the sun. And we never walk we never walk, we fly because angelenos have wings and halos. oh and forget about socializing at night clubs the movie starts never like to do that, thats why we dont have poperazzi. because no body, including the celebraties socializes.....oh and we drive everywhere , infact i drove across the street to get the mail, than i drove into my bathroom to take a shower...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City