U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,444,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Especially in LA. LA's public transporation system is as big of a joke as it's downtown area.
And chicago's lake front is as big a joke, as well... when they actually tell you its clean enough to swim in!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 PM

718 posts, read 2,444,519 times
you know whats really funnny too, for being so 'walkable', chicago and new york have pothetically unfit populations.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,074,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
you know whats really funnny too, for being so 'walkable', chicago and new york have pothetically unfit populations.
Whats pathetic is the spelling in this post.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
And chicago's lake front is as big a joke, as well... when they actually tell you its clean enough to swim in!
The lakefront is no joke, in fact its the furthest thing from it. Call us when youve actually been to Chicago. Only then will I listen to your rants.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,674,091 times
Well, I think "unfit populations" is a subjective term. The lakefront (Lake Michigan) in Chicago is beautiful and complements the city/downtown well. Granted, it's polluted and unfit to swim in, but still I know many people who just like to take a nice stroll along it with their significant other. Both cities have nice things to offer and I like them both. However, no one can argue that LA and the rest of California is outrageously expensive and you really don't get much for your $. One bedroom in CA=$1,200 minimum with the median being $1,600, Size=Studio in Chicago. Chicago $700-800 a nice one bedroom apt. I'm not even going to give the figures on homes. CA is rich in culture and variety but you MUST have $$$$$ to live here.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 PM

692 posts, read 2,376,360 times
I can deal with the pollution it's the shrinkage I have issue with,
man that water is cold !

Old 08-08-2007, 02:14 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,415,178 times
Ok... LA is not a place identified with rich history so no comparison here . Now lets look at the rest

Architecture - Getty museum, Disney Hall are nice pieces of architecture, but they are not as well-known compared to the Wrigley building, Sears Tower, Tribune Tower, Art Institute of Chicago, Field museum to name a few. Even the Lake Point Tower (a residential building erected along the Chicago lakefront ) is still rated higher than the Disney Hall and Getty museum according to the America's favorite architecture survey conducted by AIA a few months ago.

Frank Gehry is a highly respected architect, but Frank Lloyd Wright, Daniel Burnham, Mies Van der Rohe, Louis H. Sullivan, Hemult Jahn..etc are all from Chicago. They are among the most influential architects in this century. LA is no where near Chicago in this department.

Hi-tech: Chicago is home to some of the well-known technological institutions such as Motorola, Tellabs, US Robotics, Argonne National Laboratory etc...other big names like IBM, Google, Microsoft,Oracle,SBC Ameritech, Lucent-Acatel ..etc are also major players here. I don't think LA has as many hi-tech related jobs per capita as compared to the Chicago region.

Political clout: Presidential candidates like Obama, H. Clinton. Senator Dick Dirbin (the #2 highest rank Democrat in the US Senate). Rahm Emanuel (Chair of Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), Richard M. Daley, one of the most powerful mayors in the US, all have roots in Chicago ......these names are big enough to outshine LA's political landscape.

Commerce & finance: No contest here since LA has no major financial exchange while Chicago has 4. A recent report by Master Card has named Chicago along with London, New York, Tokyo and Hong Kong as the 5 leading financial & business centers of the world.

Fortune 500 companies: The entire LA metro has a total of 16 Fortune 500 companies while Chicago doubles that figure at 32. While its true that the LA economy output is a bit higher than Chicago, its GDP per capita is much less than Chicago's.

Quality of life: LA can't compete in this category. Being the most polluted city in America, LA perhaps ranks almost at bottom list of all major US cities in terms of quality of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
New York, Chicago, and LA are all well known cities and each has its strengths and unique contributions to the U.S. economic, political and cultural landscape.

History-NY and Chicago feature more prominently in early American history, but history is being made as we type. It's fluid and does not stop. The books are still open.

Architecture - Chicago has a great, cohesive architectural look but that does not mean that individual works are superior to that in LA. LA is home to some of the most highly celebrated acrchitecture in the world (i.e. Getty museum, Disney Concert Hall) and is home to some of the world's most renown architects (i.e. Frank Gehry).

hi-tech - not quite sure what you mean here, but the LA area has been a leader in defense and space technology for decades.

political clout -The LA area has produced two U.S. presidents in the last 40 years, has one of the largest congressional delegations, a slew of cabinet secretaries, viturally controls the CA governor's office. I don't see how you outshine on this front.

commerce and finance- Well that's Chicago's calling card just like entertainment and international trade are LA's. So that's a wash.

Fortune 500 - where a company is headquartered means little. Economic output does. LA wins! However since you brought it up, although the city of Chicago has more Fortune 500 companies, the LA metro area has approximately 40 and the state of CA has the most overall with at least 110.

Quality of life-purely subjective. But since the LA population is larger and includes MANY refugees from Chicago AND New York, all let that record speak for itself.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-08-2007 at 03:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,581,436 times
Quote:
That's not true, New York is one of America's most physically fit cities. We're not exactly a healthy city(diseases, especially in the ghettos), but neither is LA due to all that fricking pollution.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,581,436 times
Quote:
Oh, shut up. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'd drink out of Chicago's lakefront before I'd even stick a toe in LA's water. I might as well stick my toe in a can of gasoline.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Political clout: Presidential candidates like Obama, H. Clinton. Senator Dick Dirbin (the #2 highest rank Democrat in the US Senate). Rahm Emanuel (Chair of Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), Richard M. Daley, one of the most powerful mayors in the US, all have roots in Chicago ......these names are big enough to outshine LA's political landscape.
Dont forget Donald Rumsfeld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City