U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM
 
Location: the best coast
718 posts, read 2,445,122 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

The only president from Illinois, wasn't even from illinois. Land of lincoln my foot, he was born in a log cabin in kentucky...... Illinois has never once boasted a native that was a president. And your congressional delegation dwarfs LA's.

Congressmen from La and california are going to get alone more done than the few congressmen you guys send up to washington. Atleast California politicians have an agenda albeit liberal. Chicago politicians are known for being either wishy washy flip floppers (hillary clinton, the once loyal park ridge cubs fan, who is a new york yankee now), or currupt (Emporer dailey).

Atleast we have an opportunity to switch things up...daley for mayor in 2030!

 
Old 08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 68,093,182 times
Reputation: 10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
The only president from Illinois, wasn't even from illinois. Land of lincoln my foot, he was born in a log cabin in kentucky...... Illinois has never once boasted a native that was a president. And your congressional delegation dwarfs LA's.

Congressmen from La and california are going to get alone more done than the few congressmen you guys send up to washington. Atleast California politicians have an agenda albeit liberal. Chicago politicians are known for being either wishy washy flip floppers (hillary clinton, the once loyal park ridge cubs fan, who is a new york yankee now), or currupt (Emporer dailey).

Atleast we have an opportunity to switch things up...daley for mayor in 2030!
Youre so full of crap. But hey, I must admit your nonsense gives me a good laugh. And youre correct about Lincoln. He wasnt born here. But he started his law practice here, and is buried here, he loved this state. And lets not forget about Ronald Reagan, who was born in Dixon.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 01:50 PM
 
Location: the best coast
718 posts, read 2,445,122 times
Reputation: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre so full of crap. But hey, I must admit your nonsense gives me a good laugh. And youre correct about Lincoln. He wasnt born here. But he started his law practice here, and is buried here, he loved this state. And lets not forget about Ronald Reagan, who was born in Dixon.
really, nonsense huh? How many congressman does your state have again? Thought so..Ronald reagan was born in dixon true, but he had to move west to make money, much less a name for himself.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 4,586,785 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Ok... LA is not a place identified with rich history so no comparison here . Now lets look at the rest

Architecture - Getty museum, Disney Hall are nice pieces of architecture, but they are not as well-known compared to the Wrigley building, Sears Tower, Tribune Tower, Art Institute of Chicago, Field museum to name a few. Even the Lake Point Tower (a residential building erected along the Chicago lakefront ) is still rated higher than the Disney Hall and Getty museum according to the America's favorite architecture survey conducted by AIA a few months ago.

Frank Gehry is a highly respected architect, but Frank Lloyd Wright, Daniel Burnham, Mies Van der Rohe, Louis H. Sullivan, Hemult Jahn..etc are all from Chicago. They are among the most influential architects in this century. LA is no where near Chicago in this department.

Hi-tech: Chicago is home to some of the well-known technological institutions such as Motorola, Tellabs, US Robotics, Argonne National Laboratory etc...other big names like IBM, Google, Microsoft,Oracle,SBC Ameritech, Lucent-Acatel ..etc are also major players here. I don't think LA has as many hi-tech related jobs per capita as compared to the Chicago region.

Political clout: Presidential candidates like Obama, H. Clinton. Senator Dick Dirbin (the #2 highest rank Democrat in the US Senate). Rahm Emanuel (Chair of Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee), Richard M. Daley, one of the most powerful mayors in the US, all have roots in Chicago ......these names are big enough to outshine LA's political landscape.

Commerce & finance: No contest here since LA has no major financial exchange while Chicago has 4. A recent report by Master Card has named Chicago along with London, New York, Tokyo and Hong Kong as the 5 leading financial & business centers of the world.


Fortune 500 companies: The entire LA metro has a total of 16 Fortune 500 companies while Chicago doubles that figure at 32. While its true that the LA economy output is a bit higher than Chicago, its GDP per capita is much less than Chicago's.

Quality of life: LA can't compete in this category. Being the most polluted city in America, LA perhaps ranks almost at bottom list of all major US cities in terms of quality of life.
History-LA has a very rich and storied history that's been written about and featured prominently by authors like Raymond Chandler and in many films like "China Town." There is so much about LA loir in music, books, televison and film that it would require its own thread.

Architecture-I am not familiar with all of the architects you listed, but I know for a fact that Frank Lloyd Wright neither died nor was born in Illinois and his works are everywhere, including Los Angeles. Perhaps he lived in Chicago? I don't know. Doesn't matter. My point was that LA based architects past and present, are prolific and Gehry is the best present day example. As far as buildings go, there are other buildings in LA that I didn't include, but of the handful of buidings in Chicago you list, only one (Sears Tower) is considered iconic by natioanl and international standards and perception IMO and none are considered masterpieces like the Getty and Disney Hall.

Hi tech-According to the National Confernece of Mayors, LA ranks 7th in hi-tech output and Chicago 13th. http://www.usmayors.org/citiesdrivetheeconomy/chart2_tech.pdf (broken link)
If you find more recent data measuring output, let's see it. Also, Chicago may have more jobs in hi tech, but that's because it has a smaller economy than LA. Besides, its output not percentage of hi tech jobs in your local ecnomy that counts in determining whose making the most contribution in this area.

Political Clout-The implications and weight of Richard Nixon's and Ronald Reagan's presidencies on the U.S. and the world are so enormous, there is no competition here. If Hilary or Barak get elected then we'll talk.

Finance and Commerce-I don't think I disagreed with you here. Finance is one of Chicago's major industries, just like entertainment is in LA. There is really nothing to compare here, although I would say LA does have a signficant presence in banking and finance whereas Chicago has has little to hardly no presence in the entertainment business of any note outside of Oprah and Harpo Studios. On top of that most of her tv and film deals are financed and produced through Hollywood anyway.

Fortune 500-either you can't count or are unfamiliar with Metro LA, but there are approximately 40 in LA metro, thereby superseding Chicago metro. And, GDP per capita! Please, that's hair splitting. LA's economic power is unmatched except New York.

Qualilty of life-Chicago is also one of the most polluted cities in America. In the top 25. Also has a serious crime problem. About three dozen kids and counting have been killed this year alone in Chicago. Not to mention the brutal winters. Chicago's population is also declining and will be ovetaken by Houstoun by 2020 if not sooner. LA can't compete? I'm not sure if that's meant to be a joke. But the migration of Chicagoans and midwesterners in general to LA and southern California is in the hundreds of thousands over the last 50 years and chiefly because of their desire for a better quality of life.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 05:45 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,674,899 times
Reputation: 249
Stop arguing guys. Everyone is going to have their own opinions on each city and everyone is entitled to like or dislike a city for any reason. I believe Chicago and LA have different things to offer to different people. I love LA's beaches/weather and I love Chicago's historic neighborhoods, public transportation and Blue's Festivals. I like Chicago more but LA is certainly a terrific city with a lot to offer.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 68,093,182 times
Reputation: 10063
Were entitled to argue as much as youre entitled to say "stop".

We're arguing the finer points in this LA vs Chicago thread. If ya dont like it, theres the door.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
 
1,008 posts, read 3,674,899 times
Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Were entitled to argue as much as youre entitled to say "stop".

We're arguing the finer points in this LA vs Chicago thread. If ya dont like it, theres the door.
I never said otherwise. Carry on as you wish.
 
Old 08-08-2007, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
5,262 posts, read 12,599,136 times
Reputation: 5110
I love both cities but LA is my choice. I lived there before and I would definately live there again. I love LA.
 
Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,416,012 times
Reputation: 382
Ok...Architecture- Seems to me you’re getting lost here. If you don’t know most of those famous architects then I don’t think you have a right domain to discuss about architecture in depth. I had to laugh when you infamously claimed Getty museum & Disney are masterpieces and not the famous works from Chicago. Maybe they are masterpieces for Angelenos, but AIA does not consider them as significant as compared to other masterpieces built in Chicago. AIA is a well-respected institution and they listed Sears Tower, Tribune, Wrigley, Reliance, Field Museum etc.. as the masterpieces of the American Architecture in this century. Let me say it again…Chicago dwarfs LA when it comes to architecture. LA is not even in the same league here.

Hi-tech-The numbers you posted are the hi-tech output in the year 2000, not the hi-tech jobs per capita that I was referring to.

Political Clout- Funny that you brought up two death Presidents that has nothing to do with today LA’s political landscape. Unless you can come up with some prominent names like Obama, Clinton, Dick Dirbin, R. Daley .etc that have lots of influence in Washington then we’ll talk.

Fortune 500- LA metro has 40 Fortune 500 companies??? Where is the source? It seems LA metro does not even have more than 10.

City Information Economy - Los Angeles Travel Information


Also..since the LA population is higher than Chicago, its economy output is of course bigger. But the important criteria here is the GDP per capita. Despite having a larger GDP…do you think Mexico city economy is more powerful than San Francisco? Give me a break, my friend.


Finance and Commerce- You said Oprah shows are financed through Hollywood??? I believe her shows are privately controlled by Harpo productions, which she is the founder. Btw, you should be aware that most of the media and entertainment companies in LA are either owned or controlled by the rich folks in New York and other places.




Quality of life-I still believe LA can’t compete with most major US cities nowadays. Not only LA is the most polluted city in America, its inner-city gangs & traffic gridlocks are world’s famous. The only news that most people hear from LA these days are the illegal immigrant issues, gang shootings, and Lindsay Lohan & Paris Hilton’s prison Reality Show. The American middle class in LA is shrinking as we speak. White folks are already in minority and that will change the whole political landscape of LA and SC in the next decade or so.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
History-LA has a very rich and storied history that's been written about and featured prominently by authors like Raymond Chandler and in many films like "China Town." There is so much about LA loir in music, books, televison and film that it would require its own thread.

Architecture-I am not familiar with all of the architects you listed, but I know for a fact that Frank Lloyd Wright neither died nor was born in Illinois and his works are everywhere, including Los Angeles. Perhaps he lived in Chicago? I don't know. Doesn't matter. My point was that LA based architects past and present, are prolific and Gehry is the best present day example. As far as buildings go, there are other buildings in LA that I didn't include, but of the handful of buidings in Chicago you list, only one (Sears Tower) is considered iconic by natioanl and international standards and perception IMO and none are considered masterpieces like the Getty and Disney Hall.

Hi tech-According to the National Confernece of Mayors, LA ranks 7th in hi-tech output and Chicago 13th. http://www.usmayors.org/citiesdrivetheeconomy/chart2_tech.pdf (broken link)
If you find more recent data measuring output, let's see it. Also, Chicago may have more jobs in hi tech, but that's because it has a smaller economy than LA. Besides, its output not percentage of hi tech jobs in your local ecnomy that counts in determining whose making the most contribution in this area.

Political Clout-The implications and weight of Richard Nixon's and Ronald Reagan's presidencies on the U.S. and the world are so enormous, there is no competition here. If Hilary or Barak get elected then we'll talk.

Finance and Commerce-I don't think I disagreed with you here. Finance is one of Chicago's major industries, just like entertainment is in LA. There is really nothing to compare here, although I would say LA does have a signficant presence in banking and finance whereas Chicago has has little to hardly no presence in the entertainment business of any note outside of Oprah and Harpo Studios. On top of that most of her tv and film deals are financed and produced through Hollywood anyway.

Fortune 500-either you can't count or are unfamiliar with Metro LA, but there are approximately 40 in LA metro, thereby superseding Chicago metro. And, GDP per capita! Please, that's hair splitting. LA's economic power is unmatched except New York.

Qualilty of life-Chicago is also one of the most polluted cities in America. In the top 25. Also has a serious crime problem. About three dozen kids and counting have been killed this year alone in Chicago. Not to mention the brutal winters. Chicago's population is also declining and will be ovetaken by Houstoun by 2020 if not sooner. LA can't compete? I'm not sure if that's meant to be a joke. But the migration of Chicagoans and midwesterners in general to LA and southern California is in the hundreds of thousands over the last 50 years and chiefly because of their desire for a better quality of life.

Last edited by downtown1; 08-09-2007 at 04:13 AM..
 
Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 4,586,785 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Ok...Architecture- Seems to me you’re getting lost here. If you don’t know most of those famous architects then I don’t think you have a right domain to discuss about architecture in depth. I had to laugh when you infamously claimed Getty museum & Disney are masterpieces and not the famous works from Chicago. Maybe they are masterpieces for Angelenos, but AIA does not consider them as significant as compared to other masterpieces built in Chicago. AIA is a well-respected institution and they listed Sears Tower, Tribune, Wrigley, Reliance, Field Museum etc.. as the masterpieces of the American Architecture in this century. Let me say it again…Chicago dwarfs LA when it comes to architecture. LA is not even in the same league here.

Hi-tech-The numbers you posted are the hi-tech output in the year 2000, not the hi-tech jobs per capita that I was referring to.

Political Clout- Funny that you brought up two death Presidents that has nothing to do with today LA’s political landscape. Unless you can come up with some prominent names like Obama, Clinton, Dick Dirbin, R. Daley .etc that have lots of influence in Washington then we’ll talk.

Fortune 500- LA metro has 40 Fortune 500 companies??? Where is the source? It seems LA metro does not even have more than 10.

City Information Economy - Los Angeles Travel Information

Also..since the LA population is higher than Chicago, its economy output is of course bigger. But the important criteria here is the GDP per capita. Despite having a larger GDP…do you think Mexico city economy is more powerful than San Francisco? Give me a break, my friend.

Finance and Commerce- You said Oprah shows are financed through Hollywood??? I believe her shows are privately controlled by Harpo productions, which she is the founder. Btw, you should be aware that most of the media and entertainment companies in LA are either owned or controlled by the rich folks in New York and other places.

Quality of life-I still believe LA can’t compete with most major US cities nowadays. Not only LA is the most polluted city in America, its inner-city gangs & traffic gridlocks are world’s famous. The only news that most people hear from LA these days are the illegal immigrant issues, gang shootings, and Lindsay Lohan & Paris Hilton’s prison Reality Show. The American middle class in LA is shrinking as we speak. White folks are already in minority and that will change the whole political landscape of LA and SC in the next decade or so.
Famous works of Chicago? Famous to whom? People from all over the country and world travel to LA to see the Getty and Disney Hall and not just for the art work and performances. The buildings and grounds themselves are works of art. I'm getting lost? You are the one who claimed that Frank Lloyd Wright was a Chicagoan. Also, the AIA survey is a popularity contest where anyone who goes to the Web site can vote on their favorite buildings and structrues. Hardly a scientific survey and is certainly not a critical and substantive evaluation of great works by archictects.

Hi tech-Read my post again. Hi-tech output (what you are offering to consumers!) measures global contribution and leadership not the number or percentage of jobs in your local economy. LA leads Chicago in hi tech output and production (PERIOD). And, who cares how many high tech jobs there are in Chicago. That's got nothing to do with the rest of us.

Political Clout-Debate closed on this one. When a Chicagoan changes the entie world we'll talk. And as far as current presidential candidates go, Hilary abandoned Chicago and Illinois for New York, so if she wins you won't have much claim to her. In fact she has spent most of her life living elsewhere so her connection to Chicago is rather fleeting as this point.

Finance and Commerce-most media and entertainment owned in New York? Wrong again! Disney, which also controls ABC, ESPN, etc. is in LA. Sumner Redstone who owns the Viacom empire, which includes CBS, MTV, Paramount, etc. lives in LA, Rupert Murdoch lives between LA and NY, and most of his television operations, except news, are in LA. Univision the largest spanish network is in LA, must I go on......

Fortune 500-here's the source. FORTUNE 500 2006: States

Quality of life-HELLO....SOS TO CHICAGO.....MORE THAN THREE DOZEN CHILDREN HAVE BEEN MURDERED IN YOUR CITY THIS YEAR. That's right, CHILDREN!!!! And we still have nearly half of the year left to go. This is a TRAVESTY! and the only reason more people around the country and world don't know about it is because your power hungry, money craving, and pubicity starving mayor is sweeping it under the rug. You people are AMAZING to get on this board to make Chicago look like some kind of urban utopia in midst of the tragedy and devastation that is taking place there right now against your most vulnerable citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top