Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,473,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Finance and Commerce-most media and entertainment owned in New York? Wrong again! Disney, which also controls ABC, ESPN, etc. is in LA. Sumner Redstone who owns the Viacom empire, which includes CBS, MTV, Paramount, etc. lives in LA, Rupert Murdoch lives between LA and NY, and most of his television operations, except news, are in LA. Univision the largest spanish network is in LA, must I go on......
Yes, 75% of the major television companies are headquartered in New York. MTV is headquartered in Times Square, NBC is headquartered in Rockefeller Center, CBS is headquartered in NYC, and so is ABC. Two Hispanic channels come out of NYC. FOX News, HBO, and Comedy Central are headquartered in NYC. Silvercup Studios, which was the production facility for Sex and the City and The Sopranos. The Late Night Show with David Letterman, Saturday Night Live, and the Today Show come out of NYC. BET is headquartered on 57th Street. The Colbert Report and the Daily Show, both produced by Comedy Central, come out of NYC. Law & Order comes out of NYC. The oldest public access channel in the United States is the Manhattan Neighborhood Network. The Kaufman-Astoria film studio in Queens, built during the silent film era, was used by the Marx Brothers and W.C. Fields. It has also been the set for The Cosby Show and Sesame Street.

I don't give a **** where the guy lives. What does that have to do with anything? He headquartered his company in New York for a reason, bud.

Last edited by Futcha; 08-09-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,142,130 times
TheRealAngelion.... Compton, Long Beach, etc are so wonderful too arent they. Are you saying LA has no crime and no children accidentally killed? Noone is making Chicago out to be a utopia. However, you are trying to point out Chicago's faults and trying to make LA seem like a utopia compared to Chicago. You couldnt be further from the truth.

And seriously, the Getty and Disney????? If those are architectural landmarks in LA, then, well... no comment.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-09-2007 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: off topic content

Old 08-09-2007, 11:45 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,628,525 times
Can't you just say good things about the cities you like,and not say bad things about the city someone else likes.All cities have good traits I think.I guess some people aren't big on L.A. and some people aren't big on Chicago,but Im sure they both have thier good traits.But its pointless to fight over which one is better because we all know they are both top three cities in our country,and probably top 20 in the world.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Ok, how about this:

LA is a run-down, no-good, crime-infested, ghetto in most areas.

Same goes for Chicago. And LA. And Phoenix. And Baltimore.

There, happy?

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-09-2007 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM

694 posts, read 2,645,096 times
Quote:
Ok, how about this:

LA is a run-down, no-good, crime-infested, ghetto in most areas.

Same goes for Chicago. And LA. And Phoenix. And Baltimore.

There, happy?
Happy ? When there is no reason to debate which city has the worst problems and instead laud their attributes .. yeah than I'll be happy.

Remember I was born and raised in Chicago ( blue collar middle class )
I fully understand the loyalty. I'm convinced they do something to us in the
delivery room. Having said that, I just don't think it's productive to rip each other. It tends to narrow the mind. Personally I believe politicians
catering to the rich are the steaming piles of sh..ut yo mouth.
Besides the way the Cubs and Dodgers are hitting both cities should be humble.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
Happy ? When there is no reason to debate which city has the worst problems and instead laud their attributes .. yeah than I'll be happy.

Remember I was born and raised in Chicago ( blue collar middle class )
I fully understand the loyalty. I'm convinced they do something to us in the
delivery room. Having said that, I just don't think it's productive to rip each other. It tends to narrow the mind. Personally I believe politicians
catering to the rich are the steaming piles of sh..ut yo mouth.
Besides the way the Cubs and Dodgers are hitting both cities should be humble.
You bring up some valid points, which Ill agree with. But when a poster attacks a city for murders, when the offender's city is no different, thats when I pull out all stops.

As for the Cubs, they gave up swinging the bat 4 games ago.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,012,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You bring up some valid points, which Ill agree with. But when a poster attacks a city for murders, when the offender's city is no different, thats when I pull out all stops.

As for the Cubs, they gave up swinging the bat 4 games ago.
Three dozen children have not been murdered in LA. And by the way, Compton and Long Beach are separate cities and not part of the city of LA.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-09-2007 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 08-09-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Three dozen children have not been murdered in LA. And by the way, Compton and Long Beach are separate cities and not part of the city of LA.

The children that have been killed in Chicago were needless victims of gang violence. It is NOT the norm and I hope and pray to God that it doesnt become the norm. And Im willing to bet, if I looked hard enough, that there have been several children killed in LA too. Dont be so quick to point out the murders, because LA is just as guilty bucko.

According to this 2005article, murders in Chicago were on the decline, while NYC and LA were rising.
USATODAY.com - Murder, violence rates fall, FBI says

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-09-2007 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 08-09-2007, 01:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,012,235 times
Don't try to be evasive. You like pointing your finger at other cities' problems, now its Chicago's turn thanks in part to you for keeping this thread going. Nobody said that LA or any other major city does not have crime. The original poster from Chicago who started all of this was trying to make a case that quality of life in LA was inferior to that in Chicago, and I called him on it. I pointed out a horrific truth and fact about your city. And you don't like it because it shines the light on what's really happening in Chicago instead of the rosy picture you and others routinely attempt to paint.

Instead of marshalling its resources to get this tragedy under control, your mayor and city are instead parading around smiling at the cameras as if everything is hokie dokie and sacrificing billions of tax payer money to win the rights to host an Olympic party so that Chicago can have its 15 minutes of fame. Sad.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,016,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Can't you just say good things about the cities you like,and not say bad things about the city someone else likes.All cities have good traits I think.I guess some people aren't big on L.A. and some people aren't big on Chicago,but Im sure they both have thier good traits.But its pointless to fight over which one is better because we all know they are both top three cities in our country,and probably top 20 in the world.
That's what I said. Very well put
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City