Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:17 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Not really. Tampa and Orlando are a good 160/140 miles(respectively) into the Sub Tropical classification. 160 miles is a thick piece of hair.
Maybe, maybe not. But technical physical location doesn't matter to me or most other people. The fact is that those places FEEL tropical, they LOOK tropical, whether they technically are or not doesn't matter to most people.

Physical location and climate are different things. For example, here in California we have a Mediterranean Climate despite obviously not being located anywhere close to the Mediterranean region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Orlando is not tropical, Miami isn't either, its borderline subtropical and tropical, because it gets yearly freezes its not tropical, although they are short and last a small amount of days its still a freeze, true tropical climates rarely drop into the 60s, let alone 30s.

as for lushest tropical city n US, anywhere in hawaii
Hawaii is not a city, it's a state. The only actual city in Hawaii is Honolulu, and it's indeed tropical but it's not very lush. It's on the dry leeward side of the Island of Oahu, it doesn't get enough rain to be lush.

If Hilo was considered a city than I would say that as it's very lush. But it only has a population of about 10,000 or so. I consider that a small town and not a city.

Miami is the only option in this question, and yes it's tropical. Physical location does not always determine climate, and the cold snaps are brief and don't occur very often. They're not typical Miami of Miami weather.

Old 03-03-2014, 01:58 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
If you really want to get technical about Honolulu, it does have some areas within its city limits that are very lush and pretty much a rainforest like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Honol...38.52,,0,-7.55

Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
Maybe, maybe not.
There is no maybe or maybe not. You're trying to make something that is objectively true, into some subjective feeling.

Quote:
But technical physical location doesn't matter to me or most other people.
How do you know what "most other people" think?

Quote:
The fact is that those places FEEL tropical, they LOOK tropical, whether they technically are or not doesn't matter to most people.
Again, climates are not based on how you feel.

Quote:
Physical location and climate are different things.
This sentence doesn't even make sense. Its like me saying: "hamburgers and math are different things".

Certain criteria need to be met to make a location a particular climate. Orlando and Tampa don't meet the tropical standard. Simple. It has nothing to do with how you or I "feel".

Quote:
For example, here in California we have a Mediterranean Climate despite obviously not being located anywhere close to the Mediterranean region.
Yes, because certain areas meet the criteria to be classified as such.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
You don't know what you're talking about and are just making up your own definition of what a tropical climate entails.

I'll trust the top authority (Köppen climate classification) on such things, over you any day. Climate of Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I lived in tropical climates many years, never once below 60, and as you might know the koppen classification is hugely flawed, just saying

Old 03-03-2014, 08:25 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
This excludes Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands?
Of course, they would count with Hawaii and Miami if included.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Of course, they would count with Hawaii and Miami if included.
El Yunque National Forest is in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. Just saying.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
Also Mount Waialeale in Hawaii look pretty darn lush.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:55 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
I lived in tropical climates many years, never once below 60,
So because you never experienced sub 60 temperatures, that makes Miami non Tropical? Thats an odd determining factor. Well, since Havana Cuba has a low of 33F in its history(And I'm sure a lot more at sub 60F), it also must not be tropical either, right?
Quote:
the koppen classification is hugely flawed, just saying
Explain.

Roll your eyes all you want, but Miami(And all South Florida metro for that matter) is still a truly, tropical climate.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
If Hilo was considered a city than I would say that as it's very lush. But it only has a population of about 10,000 or so. I consider that a small town and not a city.
Hilo has a population of 43,263, according to the 2010 Census. You are correct that it is very lush, far more so than Honolulu and indeed more so than any other town of any decent size in Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City