Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for a big city vacation?
Bos 77 62.10%
DC 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Boston maybe a better city to visit if you're white, but for everyone else DC is king, especially blacks and Latinos.
This is silly, too. Most people in the United States are not black or Latino. And Boston is a better city for certain groups of Latinos. If you are Puerto Rican or Dominican, then you'll find more of a community in Boston than you will in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Harvard is not in Boston! LLS

DC Metro > Boston T

Georgetown > Boston University
Oh, so now we're focusing on just city propers? You're one of the main people that's always saying "If you added Arlington, Alexandria, and Silver Spring to DC..." From now on, you either get to use DC proper or the entire DC region. You can't change your metric whenever it suits your argument.

At any rate, as one poster already stated, the Med School and the B-School are in Boston proper. The "T" is very good and certainly rivals Metro. And BU may actually be a better school than Georgetown. BU is a really good school, it's just that Harvard overshadows it.

Now that I think about it, it makes more sense to consider Cambridge and other surrounding burbs as part of Boston than it does to consider Silver Spring and other surrounding burbs as part of DC. Somerville looks and feels more like Boston than Silver Spring looks and feels like DC.

And now that I've thought about it some more, why would anyone visit DC if they weren't coming to see the monuments? I mean, that pretty much is DC. People go to Chicago to get Italian beef, see the Bean, and eat at Gino's East. Those things are at the top of most people's list. Nobody has Ben's Chili Bowl and Adams-Morgan on their list. For most people, once they've seen the Monuments, it's time to hop back in the Winnebago and head back to Indiana.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-07-2011 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 12:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Would I wear Capri's to a go-go or are you referencing the island off the Amalfi coast?

Amafi Coast? OK Jay-Z. Let's come back to reality. You're a Philly Bols, so I guess you would rock them joints anywhere. LOL

Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is silly, too. Most people in the United States are not black or Latino. And Boston is a better city for certain groups of Latinos. If you are Puerto Rican or Dominican, then you'll find more of a community in Boston than you will in DC.
You sir, are a genius!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There is nothing to debate. Can you sit there at your computer and say that the T is better than the Metro. Seriously? Because it certainly doesn;t generate the ridership.
You don't argue for your system very well since the only metric you use is ridership, the least important factor of mass transit effectiveness. Advantages of the metro would be that it's cleaner and runs later...however Boston has much better coverage in the city. They have very comparative run-times from my experience, with the exception of the Green Line, which runs very frequently.

I can understand why you would say the Metro is better and that's fine...but like most categories, you incorrectly put DC on a pedastal on which it doesn't belong.

Quote:
No, i didn't say that. I was comparing schools that are 100% physically located in each city. GT > BU.
Only because it fits your argument. It has nothing to do with how the cities actually act or feel. There is a very strong presence of Harvard and MIT (especially Harvard) in the city of Boston. You're even ignoring the fact that Georgetown is further from the central city than MIT and about the same as Harvard simply because it means you'd have to admit Washington DC loses (to be kind) in this category.

Quote:
Boston's nightlife is ok at best. I will give Boston the edge as being a better neighborhood bar city but it falls short in comparison to DC's many party districts. Plus, Boston's night club scene is bogus. Some parties in DC don't end until 4:00 a.m. See U Street District and Adams Morgan as examples. Then the party spills over to the streets for Jumbo Slice Pizza wars until 5:00 a.m.
Wait...are you talking about house parties?

I agree DC has a better club scene and I've even said DC has a better overall scene...this isn't as much about Boston's scene being good as it is about you overselling DC. You try to make its club scene sound like NYC, London, Sao Paulo, or Tokyo when it's not even close to the upper echelon of the United States.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:15 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree DC has a better club scene and I've even said DC has a better overall scene...this isn't as much about Boston's scene being good as it is about you overselling DC. You try to make its club scene sound like NYC, London, Sao Paulo, or Tokyo when it's not even close to the upper echelon of the United States.
I consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to night life (I recently was bought out of my stake in a somewhat popular club in NY, and just in general love club scene), DC has a very good club scene, especially if you are African American. It is the top of the second tier, I would have NYC, Vegas, Miami as the top 3 in the US. The biggest complaint I have found with going out in DC is many clubs/lounges are open later than the Metro runs, and many cabbies in DC hate driving to Maryland or Arlington. The bar/pub scene (which in my experience, is preferred by Whites) is much better in Boston.

I have ridden the T and Metro, and I agree with another poster, while Metro is cleaner, the T seems to cover more of Boston.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I consider myself to be a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to night life (I recently was bought out of my stake in a somewhat popular club in NY, and just in general love club scene), DC has a very good club scene, especially if you are African American. It is the top of the second tier, I would have NYC, Vegas, Miami as the top 3 in the US. The biggest complaint I have found with going out in DC is many clubs/lounges are open later than the Metro runs, and many cabbies in DC hate driving to Maryland or Arlington. The bar/pub scene (which in my experience, is preferred by Whites) is much better in Boston.

I have ridden the T and Metro, and I agree with another poster, while Metro is cleaner, the T seems to cover more of Boston.
Who goes to clubs nowadays? That scene is so 2003. It's all about chillin' at Marvin or Habana Outpost with a t-shirt on and a Red Stripe in hand.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
How did this conversation move to who has better mass transit? LOL....

Anyway, who cares what people are saying right now because DC is in the middle of major transit expansion's unlike the rest of the northeast. Everyone else is broke so there really isn't much to talk about. Those monuments and being the nation's capital sure comes with it's perks. Metro Silver Line, DC Streetcar Network, Metro Purple Line, Metro Corridor Cities Transit Way, Arlington Streetcar Network etc. TOD construction in every corner of the region. It's a great time to live in the DC region that's for sure. I'm sure this guy has already made plans for his vacation so why are you all still arguing? This is more of a cultural argument anyway. Minorities don't really have Boston on their radar. Comparing Chocolate City with Boston is like comparing oil and vinegar. I don't think you should bring culture into the argument because different races want to see and experience different things. That's why you guys keep going in circles. Most black, hispanic, asian, and white people are all interested in different things. For instance, black people are probably going to want to see the black neighborhoods like Harlem in NYC or Shaw in DC. White people are probably going to want to see the white neighborhoods like Canton in Baltimore. It's just how it goes normally.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 06-07-2011 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Who goes to clubs nowadays? That scene is so 2003. It's all about chillin' at Marvin or Habana Outpost with a t-shirt on and a Red Stripe in hand.
I prefer bottle service and a rack of chicks near by. But that's me!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
My experience has been different in DC, granted I don't live there, but have been several dozens of times. I have never been on the Chicago Transit System (I am from New York), but I can see DC's being busier.
DC has some of the slowest drivers I have ever seen, I will stick by that. In addition, the cabbies there are god aweful. I have never seen so many people brake hard at a yellow light. Drivers in the city seem to be so indecisive.
That is because most of the drivers and motorists in DC are not actually DC residents, many people in the District of Columbia don't drive, those are the Maryland and VA residents who may or may not know their way through the District who may drive so indecisively. The city was voted the most walkable city in America in 2009. And when the DC streetcars come back in 2013 it will seem even busier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City