Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better for a big city vacation?
Bos 77 62.10%
DC 47 37.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeriz View Post
I'm going to NYC next month. I want to do a side trip.
I can't decide between DC or Boston?

I've seen the Mall and Capitol, so that doesn't matter to me. But, Ive never seen the non-Mall DC.

Coming from the sunbelt, I'm primarily interested in the "city" aspects of each. Urban life, busy sidewalks, architecture, civic squares, shopping.
You've never been to Boston, that alone says you should go to Boston...

Also, Boston has the more urban life, busy sidewalks, architecture, civic squares and shopping, so ...that is the no brainer here even though DC might be more diverse, cosmopolitan, nightlife, international, contrasted from NYC and many would prefer living there, that is not what this thread is about. You know, Miami is all those things too, but it isn't what you are looking for in your post.

Go to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
However, in DC you can get a more London/Paris-experience with the density, lack of skyscrapers and TONS of traffic circles and parks.
yeah okay bud... DC gives the london/paris experience ahahaha...

Quote:
If you come to DC, don't expect to see diversity in the city proper. Take the metro+metrobus to Tyson's Corner Center in McLean, VA to see international diversity that you probably won't see anywhere else in the U.S. besides parts of Queens. The mix of nationalities that you'll see there will be mind-blowing.
yeah none of that in Chicago or SF or LA or Seattle... just queens and dc ...

Old 06-05-2011, 07:18 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
Good choice. Boston is like NYC. Dc is like Kansas.
GTFOOH! Boston is nothing like NYC. DC's is way more cosmopolitan than Boston, plus it has better nightlife. Boston has better bars.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket
However, in DC you can get a more London/Paris-experience with the density, lack of skyscrapers and TONS of traffic circles and parks.
yeah okay bud... DC gives the london/paris experience ahahaha...
Bro, misrespresenting what I say...I said *more of a* London/Paris experience. Obviously the density and extents of urbanity are quite different between DC and London/Paris, but DC's vast expanses of mid-rise buildings, traffic circles, parks interspersed through city make it more like London/Paris in cityscape than other U.S. cities are like London/Paris.

Quote:
yeah none of that in Chicago or SF or LA or Seattle... just queens and dc ...
That's correct; I still stand by my statement that Queens and suburban DC have the broadest scope of nationalities represented in their immigrant populations.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/...5Datasheet.pdf

This site doesn't have any data for Seattle.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,034 times
Yeah, I hear the Metro way nicer and is light years ahead of the T in terms of looks and quality of ride and stations. The T is pretty dumpy, and some of the lines are basically just underground trolleys.

But, I hear it is a little more practical for getting around the core of the city.
I have read Metro misses many popular parts of the city (Georgetown and Adams Morgan) and the trains run infrequently on the weekends.

Beyond the transit, the walking was also big part of it. It seems like everything in Boston is in close walking distance. DC seems more spread out.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-06-2011 at 03:55 AM.. Reason: response to deleted quote

Old 06-05-2011, 10:03 PM

90 posts, read 207,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
GTFOOH! Boston is nothing like NYC. DC's is way more cosmopolitan than Boston, plus it has better nightlife. Boston has better bars.
I was being sarcastic. Lol!

Old 06-05-2011, 11:08 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Boston is a good choice.

Also, chances are the weather will be better in Boston than DC if you're going in the middle of summer.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Boston!

Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Boston!
That settles it!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
As a tourist, you should go to Boston, especially if you've already seen the Monuments.

Fenway > Nationals Park

Harvard > Georgetown + Every other school in the DC Metro^56

Newbury Street > M Street
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City