Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Calgary
Dallas 30 47.62%
Calgary 33 52.38%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:56 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
Exactly. They closed in the 80s. And NOW, downtown Calgary kills downtown Dallas in shopping.

If you want to make a thread about which city was better 50 years ago, Dallas might have a better chance.

Why do you keep just mentioning downtown? Theres so much more to Dallas than just its downtown. Soooo much more! You havent once mentioned any of Dallas' vibrant neighborhoods that are in its central core. Is there a reason for this?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:19 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Why do you keep just mentioning downtown? Theres so much more to Dallas than just its downtown. Soooo much more! You havent once mentioned any of Dallas' vibrant neighborhoods that are in its central core. Is there a reason for this?
He can't win the debate unless he frames it in a very particular way.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:09 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,937,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dude Northpark Mall is just an upscale version of your typical suburban style indoor shopping mall just admit it.

There is nothing remotely urban about the place except for the fact its in a large city. Just 20 years ago it was wide open fields near where Northpark is now.
Metro Matt, you don't even like Dallas. I wouldn't expect you to say something nice anyway. Just stay in that dump of a city called Tyler!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:13 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
Default NorthPark Center

I do agree that NorthPark is not Urban but its not ultra suburban either it does back up to the freeway and is pretty close to the central Dallas neighborhoods. But still I dont think its trying to claim itself as an urban mall. NorthPark is a mall but has a unique design and character too it and a great mixture of shops which sets it apart from a typical mall. I don't know why people put malls down, they are very much a part of American culture and are present in every metro area in the country.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I do agree that NorthPark is not Urban but its not ultra suburban either it does back up to the freeway and is pretty close to the central Dallas neighborhoods. But still I dont think its trying to claim itself as an urban mall. NorthPark is a mall but has a unique design and character too it and a great mixture of shops which sets it apart from a typical mall. I don't know why people put malls down, they are very much a part of American culture and are present in every metro area in the country.
Heck, one of the largest malls in North America is located in Canada.

When NorthPark was built, it was constructed around cotton fields (a farming area) Now, the mall is suburban because it's has a highway and roads surrounding it. So, urban hippy is saying what surrounds a mall makes it urban or suburban.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:56 PM

199 posts, read 355,106 times
Quote:
Because you Dallas-boosters are doing it for me. Why don't you mention any of Calgary's neighbourhoods outside downtown? Is there a reason for this?

Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
He can't win the debate unless he frames it in a very particular way.
Wrong. Calgary was named the #5 city in the world in which to live, and I gave a link to prove it. Dallas doesn't crack the top 100.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Heck, one of the largest malls in North America is located in Canada.

When NorthPark was built, it was constructed around cotton fields (a farming area) Now, the mall is suburban because it's has a highway and roads surrounding it. So, urban hippy is saying what surrounds a mall makes it urban or suburban.
No, I never said that. You're lying. The mall and it's integration with it's surroundings makes it urban or suburban. Northpark has no integration with its surrounding neighbourhoods. It is surrounded by surface parking lots and parking garages. After that is an Interstate, and some wide, pedestrian-hostile arterial roads. Other than the dept. stores and maybe a few other major stores, most of the stores only have entrances from the interior.

There is nothing even remotely urban about the mall itself in any way. Look at those pictures I posted of The Core, and the way it interacts with it's environment along it's exterior. THAT'S an urban mall.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Hippy View Post
No, I never said that. You're lying. The mall and it's integration with it's surroundings makes it urban or suburban. Northpark has no integration with its surrounding neighbourhoods. It is surrounded by surface parking lots and parking garages. After that is an Interstate, and some wide, pedestrian-hostile arterial roads. Other than the dept. stores and maybe a few other major stores, most of the stores only have entrances from the interior.

There is nothing even remotely urban about the mall itself in any way. Look at those pictures I posted of The Core, and the way it interacts with it's environment along it's exterior. THAT'S an urban mall.
Those roads are highways, that's why it's wide.

BTW that freeway isn't a interstate. Every freeway in American isn't a interstate.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
This discussion is just going in circles. Time to close the thread.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City