Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Calgary
Dallas 30 47.62%
Calgary 33 52.38%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:36 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times

Advertisements

I thought of this as I saw another one Atlanta vs. Winnepeg that seems to be generating discussion. These two cities have quite a bit in common wih a few conections, tied to energy/oil, Alberta is more free market and fiscal conservative compared to the rest of Canada, much like Texas. But they are also vastly different, topography being the most obvious. Here is some criteria, and add your own thoughts as well.

Climate
Architecture & Skyline
Cost of Living
Economy
Sports

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-28-2011 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Actually Dallas has become a progressive city just like Houston and Austin. So they are now progressive cities in a state that is mostly conservative outside those three cities.

Weather climate: Dallas by far.

Calgary weather climate is horrible based on my weather preferences. Even their summers are kind of cold.

Location: Tie. Dallas is closer to more cities but Calgary is not too far away from some cities and Calgary has amazing world class nature scenery nearby.

Food/Dining/nightlife: Probably a tie. Probably pretty good for both cities.

Architecture/skyline: Tie. They are both developing pretty nice skylines.

Cost of living and Economy: Tie. They both offer a cost of living but also plenty of great employment opportunities.

Overall, it is a Tie.

If Calgary had better weather I would pick Calgary.
If Dallas had some world class nature scenery nearby I would pick Dallas.
But then again if Calgary and Dallas both had those things then it would be a tie again!

Old 05-28-2011, 07:33 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
I agree fully with the post above. Calgary is Canada's version of Dallas. It's virtually a tie on every level save that Dallas is more diverse and Calgary has a lot more to do for the outdoorsman and has better scenery close by.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,913,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I agree fully with the post above. Calgary is Canada's version of Dallas. It's virtually a tie on every level save that Dallas is more diverse and Calgary has a lot more to do for the outdoorsman and has better scenery close by.
When you say you fully agree with the post above do you mean my post or Caphillsea's post?

Also, do you think Dallas has much better weather than Calgary?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:41 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Dallas does have better weather. Summers are hot, once you get past that, the rest of the year is mild, except for 2-4 light snowy/icy episodes, but very common to have 70 degree days in Dec or Jan.
Overall Dallas & its metro are just much bigger, thats a hard compete. Calgary is cool though.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:03 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
When you say you fully agree with the post above do you mean my post or Caphillsea's post?

Also, do you think Dallas has much better weather than Calgary?
I meant I agreed with you.

In my opinion, I would rather have Dallas' weather anyday, but that part is subjective. Some people would rather deal with Calgary's cold winters vs. Dallas hot summers.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
Weather and Architecture to Dallas
Scenery and Skyline to Calgary

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM

443 posts, read 1,345,874 times
What are you guys talking about?? Calgary isn't the Dallas of Canada. Calgary is the DENVER of Canada. Bordering on rocky mountains, very strong "old west" influences, mountain climate tho much harsher in Calgary v. Denver. Also Calgarys skyline is Tennie tiny compared to Dallas.

I've been to Calgary many times And the closest us comparison is either Denver or OKC (yes, I said OKC -minus the mountains). Calgary really is a sleepy city by comparison of Dallas.

Regardless, Calgary has an extremely harsh and long winter and I would choose Dallas any day.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM

355 posts, read 468,783 times
Climate: Dallas. Calgary can get cold.
Location: Tie. Dallas is more centralized and closer to other major cities, but Calgary has better scenery. But Dallas does not suck.
Food/Dining & Nightlife: Tie. Both are pretty good, respectfully.
Architecture & Skyline: Tie. Dallas in architecture, but Calgary in skyline. Calgary is more centralized, but if Dallas can construct more buildings within the CBD, then I would lean towards Dallas. Both are growing their downtown areas, so its all good.
Cost of Living: Dallas is cheaper, but QOL is higher in Calgary.
Economy: Dallas in total GDP, Calgary in per capita. Also both are great places for jobs.
Sports/Recreation: Tie. Calgary is more into winter related sports, and Dallas is more into football, basketball, etc. Calgary has excellent places for recreation, but Dallas is not bad either.

I seem to like both cities and they seem to be more in common with each other in a lot of things, except weather and scenery.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Climate - well can you tolerate inferno summer heat or abysmal winter cold more? Pick your poison. Balanced out through the year I imagine Dallas probably has more nice days.

Location - Calgary all the way here. I don't care how close the big D is to Houston, OKC, Austin, or whereever else. I prefer good topography to compliment the city. Calgary has some of the world's most beautiful mountains nearby, Dallas is topographically in the middle of nowehere.

Food/Dining & Nightlife - I'm pretty sure Dallas has a much more diverse range here. I'm betting Calgary may score higher for Asian food, probably good steakhouses in both cities, but the big D stikes me as a bit more international.

Architecture & Skyline - Dallas has a slightly better skyline but its downtown is crap. Calgary, although a bit sprawly has a much more dense core and a more vibrant downtown. North Dallas/Park Cities does indeed have some beautiful neighborhoods though.

Cost of Living - I would assume Dallas is more affordable.

Economy - The Alberta Oil Sands and other energy prospects will probably keep Calgary busy for a while. They will both thrive in the future economically but since Dallas is much larger than Calgary it goes without saying the big D's economy is much more diversified.

Sports - Calgary did host a winter Olympics back in 1988 but that seems to have faded off. I'm sure they are loyal to the flames, but that certainly can't compete with the legendary Dallas Cowboy's and all the major league sports in DFW.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-30-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City