Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state in the Deep South?
South Carolina 11 21.57%
Georgia 25 49.02%
Alabama 9 17.65%
Mississippi 6 11.76%
Louisiana 9 17.65%
(Eastern) Texas 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:24 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I know this probably doesn't apply but New Orleans is about as culturally deep south as St. Louis.
Lol, totally agree.
Quote:
So why don't we rule out Louisiana because of New Orleans like the OP didn't include Florida.
If there is some narrow minded nonsense about what the deep south is then we better knock out NOLA.

But wait, Houston is nothing like the image too, we better knock off Houston too. As long as we are going there we might as well Knock off ATL because ATL got as many black transplants as Miami got Latin transplants or northern transplants.

Well we might as well just knock off every metro area over 500 K

This is now a battle of the rurals because the deep south metros are no longer deep enough

lol are the other regions their themness like the south is???

Anyway if it is now a battle between the rurals I wanna change my vote to Mississippi and Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:28 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
So why don't we rule out Louisiana because of New Orleans like the OP didn't include Florida.
I think the different settlement patterns of Louisiana and S. Florida explain the discrepancy.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:49 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,095,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Having lived in a majority of the states listed, I exclude Texas and Florida. Texas has a style and culture that represents Texas and Florida is only Southern by location now-too many transplants.

LA has more culture due to the influence of diverse settlers through the French and Spanish. They also have more than one city representing them in the form of Baton Rouge and New Orleans. Beautiful bayous and diverse topography.

Atlanta has more economic influence and pretty much is the state of GA other than Savannah. But, Atlanta is not a "state". I do like the Northern part of the state and its natural beauty.

Alabama has diverse cities with the likes of technology in Huntsville, (Nasa etc) the port and industry of Mobile and of course the Medical leadership of Birmingham. As a state, they are getting some much needed diversity in their economy due to some major wins in the auto manufactoring industry among others. They unfortunately have corrupt leadership that cripples their economic growth despite some recent gains. Also has great beaches and diverse topography.

Mississippi is still struggling with their economy but, coming along fairly well. Jackson is up and coming but again, one city does not a state make.

South Carolina needs to watch out less they become a suburb of Atlanta - ha ha.. Just teasing. Don't know too much about them other than Columbia and experience with one city doesn't really respresent the state so I won't rank them.

They are all great states to me but, again I have lived in them and am from the South so I am biased.
Not when it comes to population, GDP, economic power....

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've never been to Gavelston, but Texans who are NOTORIOUS for having the best of everything, no matter what it may be, have told me that their beaches are terrible. When even a Texan can admit that something in Texas is shabby, it must be shabby.
True lol

However, Galveston itself is a relatively important city. Throwing Houston in for East Texas still wouldn't do much because aside from that you have The Golden Triangle and Tyler. I'd say Augusta and Savannah both past them up in importance [It's debatable though] and in addition to that with Atlanta; Georgia still gets the win.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,970 times
Remember, I said from "the biggest cities to the smallest towns". And that means Tupelo, Jackson, New Orleans, Savannah, Atlanta, Charleston, Holly Springs, Birmingham all the way down to Thibideaux, Chatsworth, Lufkin and even down to little itty bitty Buttahatchie, Mississippi.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Not when it comes to population, GDP, economic power....
What do you mean? Metro Atlanta accounts for the bulk of the state's population, GDP, economic power, etc.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:22 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Not Florida at all. Even Northern Florida doesn't feel very Southern to me, just slightly.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:26 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Not Florida at all. Even Northern Florida doesn't feel very Southern to me, just slightly.

You have to be joking, it is extreme southern.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
What North Florida cities have you been to? Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Tallahasee, are just as Southern as anything.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What North Florida cities have you been to? Jacksonville, Pensacola, and Tallahasee, are just as Southern as anything.
Yeah, the Pandandle is still Deep South, no matter what anyone attempts to tell you. Hell, it's Deep South right on the outskirts of Gainesville, and I would include Ocala too. It is totally Southern, despite the massive influx of Northern retirees to Marion County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City