U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 105 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 102 49.28%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:26 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,920,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
ML Sports? Atlanta, probably. I am including college sports in this equation. The Twins have been pretty good (till this year), but Minneapolis doesn't offer great teams in general. If the Wild were good, it would probably be amazing up there, but the Wild suck. So I am saying Atlanta here. Access to all major sports (except sadly not NHL anymore), plus great proximity to incredible SEC football. Easy drives to Athens, Knoxville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, etc. And outdoor football games (with great weather) is one area where Minnesota can't even begin to compare to the Southeast.
There isn't a team in Atlanta that completely captivates the entire city like the Twins do in the Twin Cities. We have the worst record in baseball and we still filled Target Field for every game. In April and May. Even the transplants here completely fall in love with the Twins.

Take away baseball and the two cities are pretty even on the sports front. Minnesota loves hockey but most people haven't really bought into the Wild. People here became disenfranchised with the NHL after our North Stars were taken away. Our hockey team will always be the North Stars and the Wild will never replace them.

College football is definitely superior down in Atlanta. The Gophers have been downright horrible for over 50 years now (although they still hold the third most Big Ten titles). They got a shiny new stadium though and people are hopeful Jerry Kill can turn them around. As for the Vikings, they have their seasons but people here aren't as loyal to them as the Twins. But we still love our Vikes! And I wouldn't bring up the 98 NFC Championship around here - people are still pissed at Atlanta for that...

But the 91 World Series sure was nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:24 AM

88 posts, read 102,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
There isn't a team in Atlanta that completely captivates the entire city like the Twins do in the Twin Cities. We have the worst record in baseball and we still filled Target Field for every game. In April and May. Even the transplants here completely fall in love with the Twins.

Take away baseball and the two cities are pretty even on the sports front. Minnesota loves hockey but most people haven't really bought into the Wild. People here became disenfranchised with the NHL after our North Stars were taken away. Our hockey team will always be the North Stars and the Wild will never replace them.

College football is definitely superior down in Atlanta. The Gophers have been downright horrible for over 50 years now (although they still hold the third most Big Ten titles). They got a shiny new stadium though and people are hopeful Jerry Kill can turn them around. As for the Vikings, they have their seasons but people here aren't as loyal to them as the Twins. But we still love our Vikes! And I wouldn't bring up the 98 NFC Championship around here - people are still pissed at Atlanta for that...

But the 91 World Series sure was nice!
Filling Target Field has more to do with the novelty of outdoor baseball in this town more than the actual team. It's the second year for the stadium and its a great place to watch a game, its a great ballpark. But if this team was still in the Metrodome they would not be selling out and when they were still a good team a couple of years ago, you could walk up and get tickets easily even to see the Yankees which I did myself and there were plenty of empty seats. Once the novelty wears off and if the team continues their slide then tickets won't be hard to come by.

The Wild also had their first non-sellout last season so even they are not having as consistent a turnout as they had their previous several seasons in the league.

I LOVE bringing up the 98 NFC Championship here to these Vikings fans Hey we don't have very many big winning moments in Atlanta sports history so have to accentuate the positive as much as I can. Usually after I bring that up they bring up the Twins winning in 1991 and its almost like we're even haha.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:49 PM

290 posts, read 444,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooktheoriginal View Post
Filling Target Field has more to do with the novelty of outdoor baseball in this town more than the actual team. It's the second year for the stadium and its a great place to watch a game, its a great ballpark. But if this team was still in the Metrodome they would not be selling out and when they were still a good team a couple of years ago, you could walk up and get tickets easily even to see the Yankees which I did myself and there were plenty of empty seats. Once the novelty wears off and if the team continues their slide then tickets won't be hard to come by.
What are you talking about? Do you realize the Metrodome had 56,000 seats and Target Field holds 40,000? Do you also remember that that Metrodome is a football stadium so yes, not every game had the top rows in left and center field full. It wasn't the greatest vantage point.

Even so, there was a game two years ago in Sept where the damn place was packed. People were doing the wave around the upper deck and it actually worked! I actually moved away from the area 10 years ago and when I've been to games in the past couple years, I've been completely SHOCKED at the fan support for this team. Way before Target Field opened. There was a time not long ago when support for the Twins was near nil. The energy behind the fan support now is just awesome to see and experience. I've never seen so many people wearing jerseys. Everyone has on a Twins hat around town.

Last edited by JMT; 06-06-2011 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Please don't use "WTF"; this is a family friendly forum, we all know what the F stands for.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,400,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
What are you talking about? Do you realize the Metrodome had 56,000 seats and Target Field holds 40,000? Do you also remember that that Metrodome is a football stadium so yes, not every game had the top rows in left and center field full. It wasn't the greatest vantage point.

Even so, there was a game two years ago in Sept where the damn place was packed. People were doing the wave around the upper deck and it actually worked! I actually moved away from the area 10 years ago and when I've been to games in the past couple years, I've been completely SHOCKED at the fan support for this team. Way before Target Field opened. There was a time not long ago when support for the Twins was near nil. The energy behind the fan support now is just awesome to see and experience. I've never seen so many people wearing jerseys. Everyone has on a Twins hat around town.
Yuk! That's disgusting! . I'm sorry but I have a very special hatred for the evil twins every since 1991. (I'm not even going to bring up what happened that year but for Braves fans it's pretty disturbing) However, the love of the Braves was so intense they had a parade downtown with 500,000 even after that. When they won their first World Series I remember a million people lined the highway watching their bus return home.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post

I realize that about the capacity but actually percentage wise from 2009 the Braves drew more than the Twins. Average attendance at Twins games in their last year at the Metrodome was 53% of capacity. Average at Turner Field for the Braves in 2009 was 59% of capacity. And that was their highest average attendance at the Metrodome since the World Series year in 1991. There were a lot of lean years for crowds despite the success. Wasn't that much better in Atlanta either but the sellouts these days at Target Field has more to do with the idea of outdoor baseball back in Minnesota than necessarily a more rabid fan base. Because the Twins have been good for several seasons and people weren't coming out to the dome like they are to this new stadium. Once the novelty wears off, tickets will be easier to come by and the crowds will go down unless the team can win and actually get out of the first round of the playoffs.

There is a good energy for the Twins here, I see the support around here too. I think there's good energy for the Braves too. It's not nearly as crazy as it was in the 90s but we've become a little jaded, complacent over the past two decades.

Twins Attendance Minnesota Twins Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors - Baseball-Reference.com

Braves Attendance Atlanta Braves Attendance, Stadiums, and Park Factors - Baseball-Reference.com

Old 06-07-2011, 08:51 AM

5,530 posts, read 9,736,608 times
Quote:

The Wild also had their first non-sellout last season so even they are not having as consistent a turnout as they had their previous several seasons in the league.

I LOVE bringing up the 98 NFC Championship here to these Vikings fans Hey we don't have very many big winning moments in Atlanta sports history so have to accentuate the positive as much as I can. Usually after I bring that up they bring up the Twins winning in 1991 and its almost like we're even haha.
Way to get slaughtered in the 1999 Super Bowl though! Why would you brag about the win over the Vikes when you got embarrassed two weeks later when it counted MOST?

In general, I find it obnoxious for anyone to say that one city is DRASTICALLY better than the other for x, y, z reasons. Both cities are fairly close in most regards, save a few small exceptions, but when somebody says Minneapolis' parks are FAR SUPERIOR to Atlanta's or that Atlanta has FAR BETTER entertainment than Minneapolis, either:

a.) does not know what they are talking about and/or has not been to both cities

or,

b.) is such a blind "homer" that their opinion is immediately discounted

Let's try to avoid the broad-sweeping homerisms and keep things in perspective, especially since the polls are so close!

p.s. this is not directed at you, Mooktheoriginal

Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm curious to know if there has been an indoor baseball team with higher attendance averages than the Twins in the past 10 years......Or the past 10 seasons before an indoor team went outdoors:

Minnesota
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Houston
Seattle
Montreal

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Way to get slaughtered in the 1999 Super Bowl though! Why would you brag about the win over the Vikes when you got embarrassed two weeks later when it counted MOST?
Ohahhhhh! Haha ok you got me there with the Super Bowl but rightly so. At least we made it! No one gave us a chance in that NFC Championship Game so I know how it stings the Vikings fans to be reminded of this if they get too high on the horse. Besides we don't have many big game winning moments in Atlanta sports history so whenever the topic gets brought up I'll gladly talk about how we beat them in the game

Old 06-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Ohahhhhh! Haha ok you got me there with the Super Bowl but rightly so. At least we made it! No one gave us a chance in that NFC Championship Game so I know how it stings the Vikings fans to be reminded of this if they get too high on the horse. Besides we don't have many big game winning moments in Atlanta sports history so whenever the topic gets brought up I'll gladly talk about how we beat them in the game
Obviously it's a sore spot for most of "us". I'm a big fan of football, the Vikes, and all MN teams, but not a "rabid" fan by any means. But when the Falcons upended the 1998 VIkes super-squad in a year that we were supposed to FINALLY grab that Lombardi trophy.....I damn near cried when we lost in OT! That's the reaction a lot of us had!! The 2008 team with Favre and that talented D was also SUPER painful but not even close to 1998 -- that's how much we thought we were Super Bowl bound!!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,535,080 times
Minneapolis.

Less crime, less traffic, awesome theater/art scene, better schools.
The nightlife iin ATL is probably better, I'm sure- But coming from the NYC area originally, I was surprised how decent the nightlife scene in DT MPLS is.

Food is a toss up, I'm actually surprised with how many good Mexican joints you come across in the twin cities.. otherwise both the cities re overrun with fast food/chain restaurants.

Another thing I thought I should point out is that the gay/lesbian scene between the two cities is strong, but MPLS definitely holds that down nationwide (other than SF).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or