U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 105 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 102 49.28%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 02:24 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,729,540 times

Advertisements

Me too, but a lot of people don't.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:40 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,301,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Maybe people in Minneapolis don't go to fast food restaurants as often. I've noticed in other parts of the country there are certain fast food restaurants that people just love and have a strong loyalty to, like Chick Fil A in the south or In-n-Out Burger in California. Minnesota has nothing like that. I think that is good, as fast food is gross and unhealthy.

The lack of "good" fast food options is a strike in Minneapolis' favor in my opinion. There is a place in my neighborhood called To Soho that serves great gyros, kebabs and pizza by the slice, I would rather go to someplace like that than a chain.
Who wouldn't? But that doesn't mean people don't still want their options. Atlanta has plenty of both fast food and quality dining.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:51 PM

44 posts, read 74,101 times
Weather? Minneapolis (I like snow)

Quality of life? Depends on what you are after

Traffic? Minneapolis

Restaurants/Food and Shopping? Even (though Mall of America may give slight edge to Minneapolis for shopping)

Career Opportunities? It is tough everywhere at this point

ML Sports? Minneapolis (Atlanta just lost NHL team and I still can't get over how the Braves could not sellout playoff games a few years back)

Scenery? Depends on what you find scenic

Cleanliness? Minneapolis (I-285 in Atlanta is a pigsty especially in Dekalb county)

Entertainment? Each have their strengths

Singles Scene? Not sure

Cost of living? Maybe Atlanta

Crime? Minneapolis

Location within the United States? Minneapolis (close to Chicago)

Residents? (Nice, Mean, Welcoming) I will give the Edge to Minneapolis as the whole area seems friendly. Atlanta seems more friendly inside the perimeter as opposed to outside it)

Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,560,691 times
Which do you all prefer? Atlanta

Weather? Minneapolis (Closer to Denver...I like denvers)

Quality of life? Minneapolis

Traffic? Minneapolis has WAY less

Restaurants/Food and Shopping? Are you kidding????????? ATLANTA....As far as shopping goes, Atlanta still wins in my opinion (I like Lenox Better than Mall of America..IDK why)

Career Opportunities? Im not sure, but i think Minneapolis

ML Sports? Minneapolis

Scenery? Trees & Lakes VS Trees & Hills.....It depends on what you like better, but i like Trees & Lakes...Minneapolis for me.

Cleanliness? Minneapolis

Entertainment? Both have very good entertainment reputations, but Atlanta wins out

Singles Scene? I think Minneapolis, but thats just a guess.

Cost of living? Atlanta most Def

Crime? Minneapolis has less crime

Hope that helps.!!

Location within the United States?

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM

115 posts, read 235,284 times
Minneapolis wins the Shopping catergory Mall of America.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:57 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,397,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternMan015 View Post
Minneapolis wins the Shopping catergory Mall of America.
I'm not sure. It depends on what type of shopping you're doing I guess. I was checking out MOA's directory and Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza in Atlanta (they are located right next to each other in the neighborhood of Buckhead) provide a lot of famous high end stores that Mall of America does not have. Stores like Sacs 5th Ave, Armani/X, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Fendi, Dolce Cabanna, Juicy Couture, Versace, etc. Do they have places in Minneapolis that provide this type of shopping?

It really comes down to what type of shopping Minneapolis has outside of Mall of America because Atlanta has most everything MOA has and more just not in one spot.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-13-2011 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-13-2011, 07:13 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,397,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Maybe people in Minneapolis don't go to fast food restaurants as often. I've noticed in other parts of the country there are certain fast food restaurants that people just love and have a strong loyalty to, like Chick Fil A in the south or In-n-Out Burger in California. Minnesota has nothing like that. I think that is good, as fast food is gross and unhealthy.

The lack of "good" fast food options is a strike in Minneapolis' favor in my opinion. There is a place in my neighborhood called To Soho that serves great gyros, kebabs and pizza by the slice, I would rather go to someplace like that than a chain.
When I lived in the Midwest for years it wasn't the fast food restaurants I missed. I was absolutely dieing for some good home made banana pudding, collard greens, slaw dogs, and most of all good properly made sweet iced tea.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:14 AM

I'm not sure Minneapolis has better shopping, OVERALL.
I think Minneapolis CURRENTLY has better career opportunities, because its unemployment rate is respectively low AND it was recently ranked #4 for cities for career opportunities by monster.com

Top 10 US Cities for Jobs Now | Monster

Historically though both cities are pretty even on the job front.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,721,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I'm not sure. It depends on what type of shopping you're doing I guess. I was checking out MOA's directory and Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza in Atlanta (they are located right next to each other in the neighborhood of Buckhead) provide a lot of famous high end stores that Mall of America does not have. Stores like Sacs 5th Ave, Armani/X, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Fendi, Dolce Cabanna, Juicy Couture, Versace, etc. Do they have places in Minneapolis that provide this type of shopping?

It really comes down to what type of shopping Minneapolis has outside of Mall of America because Atlanta has most everything MOA has and more just not in one spot.
Minneapolis has several major retail districts beyond the MOA. A few include:

The Galleria, Edina: This is the most high-end retail mall in the Twin Cities, with Tiffany and lots of the ultra expensive boutiques. The center has about 450,000 sf so its notably smaller than most regional malls
http://www.galleriaedina.com/
50th & France, Edina/Minneapolis: a tony retail node shared between Edina and SW Mpls
Uptown, Minneapolis: a trendy, youngish retail district with tenants like Apple, Columbia Sportswear, Urban Outfitters, CB2 etc...
Grand Avenue, St Paul: a lengthy retail corridor filled with upscale restaurants and retail shops
Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis: Downtown Minneapolis, with Nieman Marcus, the Off 5th Saks Outlet, Brooks Brothers, plus a few high-end shops and lots of mainstream stores (like macy's, Target, Marshalls, Banana republic, Gap etc...)

beyond this are about 8 regional malls, a few lifestyle centers, and other neighborhood retail districts.

Given that metro Atlanta has about 2 million more residents than the Twin Cities and the Twin Cities on the whole are pretty laid back and casual, I wouldn't doubt that Atlanta has more high-end boutiques. I think on a pro rata basis, the Twin Cities are doing fine with retail.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:00 PM

Minneapolis and most of the Midwest is also notoriously humble about flaunting money, so high-end fashion is in less demand here than most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or