U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Atlanta, GA 105 50.72%
Minneapolis, MN 102 49.28%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,673,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
People from Memphis complaining about Lenox being "Ghetto"? Memphis isn't even a third the size of Atlanta but has twice as many pimps and prostitutes and worse gangs. Seriously though.

The fact that stores like Armani Xchange, Burberry, Coach, Saks Fifth Ave, and Fendi have been in operation there for years and years and are still going strong shows you it's not a ghetto mall.
Not ghetto, ghetto fabulous. People who try to look rich but still carry themselves in a low class manner. They're really flashy. A lot of Memphis people have that problem too, but I think people here are just more ghetto rather than ghetto fabulous. Most of the ghetto fabulous people here dream of moving to cities like Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,438,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Not ghetto, ghetto fabulous. People who try to look rich but still carry themselves in a low class manner. They're really flashy. A lot of Memphis people have that problem too, but I think people here are just more ghetto rather than ghetto fabulous. Most of the ghetto fabulous people here dream of moving to cities like Atlanta.
Or Miami?

tou che.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:14 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,673,106 times
Quote:
Or Miami?

tou che.
yeah, anywhere warm and where rappers talk about.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:16 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,464,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Yeah, you do not see this in MSP.
Not true. There may not be videos on YouTube showing off others' cars, which is weird, but that doesn't mean people don't drive them here. Heck, I was stuck next to a Lamborghini on 494 just the other day. Do I see them on a regular basis? No, but during my past trips to Atlanta, I didn't see any luxury cars that made me want to stop and take a picture and/or video.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM

252 posts, read 403,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Yeah, you do not see this in MSP.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm sure there are plenty of videos out there, but here is one I found.
Cars & Café, MN, July 5th, 2008 on Vimeo

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,438,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Not true. There may not be videos on YouTube showing off others' cars, which is weird, but that doesn't mean people don't drive them here. Heck, I was stuck next to a Lamborghini on 494 just the other day. Do I see them on a regular basis? No, but during my past trips to Atlanta, I didn't see any luxury cars that made me want to stop and take a picture and/or video.
Nice Video. Minneapolis really looks cool in the summer as a backdrop for those cars.
I think it's safe to say the car culture is pretty strong in Atlanta but it's no L.A. or even South Florida.

This is not a car show. Just hangin out at the Varsity.
removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪The Varsity‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪At The Varsity 03-03-11 Atlanta (HD)‬‏

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,810,378 times
Hahaha! I like these things AND at the same time I find them so weird! Pretty fun though, either way!!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,894,591 times
Quote:
Yeah that's one thing Minneapolis shares in common with Denver which I've visited often. Atlanta can be very flashy at times. For instance, some people go to Lenox Mall for no other reason than to hang out and possibly run into one of the many celebrities that frequently shop there. Some celebrities have caused mobs to gather when they pull promotion type stunts. That can be annoying to someone looking for a more peaceful shopping experience but not like it always happens.

That's why I say this whole comparison is kinda like comparing chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Some are going to like one over the other no matter what.

Lamborghinis, Porsches, Maseratis, Bentleys, etc. in valet parking area of Lenox Square Mall.

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lenox Mall Valet Rundown‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lennox Mall Valet Parking‬‏

removed - just use URLs
YouTube - ‪Lamborghini at Lenox‬‏
The Janteloven Minnesotan in me looks at this and thinks "yuck, I would never want to live in a place where that was considered cool". Conspicuous consumption is gauche.

I understand that not everybody thinks that though.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 06-18-2011 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,810,378 times
I need a dictionary now...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:48 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,894,591 times
Most Minnesotans are unfamiliar with the word, which is Norwegian, but the ideas it represents resonate through the culture in modified form:

Jante Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Drewcifer; 06-14-2011 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or