Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:12 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well I'm sure this is true of prestige. I however was speaking about the social popularity and social view of HBCU's by people that are not black. Most people laugh at HBCU's anyway even Howard, but when you mention Howard, they at least have heard of it. Fisk, Spelman, and Morehouse are not nationwide household names to the younger crowd. Their parents may have heard of those schools but many younger people wouldn't know those schools unless they live in that region of the country. HBCU popularity is dropping as more and more minorities enroll in state schools.
Dude, where do you get this stuff from? Morehouse, Tuskegee, Hampton and Spelman (and a bunch of HBCUs) are just as known as Howard. Perhaps you only hear about Howard because your world seemingly revolves around DC?

Besides, since when was the popularity of a school a determining factor in how good it is? It literally means nothing. The fact that you think that it does suggests to me that you aren't totally being honest about having attended college...

The most important factor is what type of people does a school produce? I highly suggest you research the subject as you are just making yourself look misinformed and silly by sticking with this whole "Howard is the end all be all of Black colleges" nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Dude, where do you get this stuff from? Morehouse, Tuskegee, Hampton and Spelman (and a bunch of HBCUs) are just as known as Howard. Perhaps you only hear about Howard because your world seemingly revolves around DC?

Besides, since when was the popularity of a school a determining factor in how good it is? It literally means nothing. The fact that you think that it does suggests to me that you aren't totally being honest about having attended college...

The most important factor is what type of people does a school produce? I highly suggest you research the subject as you are just making yourself look misinformed and silly by sticking with this whole "Howard is the end all be all of Black colleges" nonsense.

You do realize that HBCU's aren't considered on the same level as state schools right? Also, schools with an enrollment of 2,000 vs. schools with an enrollment of 30,000-50,000 aren't going to be as popular except real Ivy League schools such as Harvard etc. It is what it is and I'm sure you enjoyed your time at your school but the reality is HBCU's have a reputation. You don't hear many people say they want to attend Morehouse and Spelman. Many people however talk about Howard, Hampton, Florida A&M, and NC A&T though. Spelman and Morehouse are excellent schools but they are tiny which may have something to do with it. I was never saying they weren't great schools, I was only saying a ton of people around the country have never heard of them before which is common for an HBCU. Also, they are liberal arts schools which already is saying something.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You do realize that HBCU's aren't considered on the same level as state schools right?
Don't care.

Quote:
Also, schools with an enrollment of 2,000 vs. schools with an enrollment of 30,000-50,000 aren't going to be as popular except real Ivy League schools such as Harvard etc.
Don't care.

Quote:
You It is what it is and I'm sure you enjoyed your time at your school but the reality is HBCU's have a reputation.
Often created by people that do not respect their contribution to society and that of Black people at large....so I REALLY don't care.

Quote:
You don't here many people say they want to attend Morehouse and Spelman.
Seriously, don't care. By the way, it is "hear".

Quote:
Many people however talk about Howard, Hampton, Florida A&M, and NC A&T though.
Did you ever stop to think that "what you hear" about what schools people want to attend is in direct correlation to the location you are in? It is also no surprise that you hear about a lot of people wanting to go to FAMU or NCAT since they are in the same sports conference as Howard and Hampton and play most of their games up your way (go figure).

Quote:
Spelman and Morehouse are excellent schools but they are tiny which may have something to do with it.
It sounds as if you are bizarrely basing all of your ideas of how good a school is on popularity. You should really just take a gander and the people who have attended Morehouse and Spelman to get an idea of what they are about and so you can stop sounding dumb.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Often created by people that do not respect their contribution to society and that of Black people at large....so I REALLY don't care.

I wasn't speak about the racial implications of HBCU's. I was speaking about the many experiences of people who have attended HBCU's and their backwards way of doing business. Financial aid and administration problems, hanging in "the yard" instead of in class, and the high school classroom setting. You know as well as I do that "WE NEED TO DO BETTER" but as I said earlier, it is what it is. The students in these institution's that are doing what they are suppose to do are to be commended. It's sad they are overshadowed by the many that are not.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I wasn't speak about the racial implications of HBCU's. I was speaking about the many accounts of people who have attended HBCU's and their backwards way of doing business. Financial aid and administration problems, hanging in "the yard" instead of in class, and the high school classroom setting. You know as well as I do that "WE NEED TO DO BETTER" but as I said earlier, it is what it is. The students in these institution's that are doing what they are suppose to do are to be commended. It's sad they are overshadowed by the many that are not.
Well, Morehouse and Spelman (as well as Howard) aren't those types of schools.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well, Morehouse and Spelman (as well as Howard) aren't those types of schools.
Fair enough to an extent, but the campuses of Howard and the AUC are still your typical HBCU circus.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Fair enough to an extent, but the campuses of Howard and the AUC are still your typical HBCU circus.
How would you know?

You can think that if you want, but take a tour of Howard, Morehouse, or Spelman then take a tour of an Edward Waters and you'll notice the difference reaaaaal quick.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,688 times
Quote:

To be honest, because of Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and the Tuskegee Airmen, I would venture to say that Tuskegee is probably the best overall known HBCU, and a household name, nationwide more so than other HBCU's. Everybody, Black or White knows about Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and their association with Tuskegee. The Tuskegee Airmen have received a lot of well deserved recognition in recent years. Of course, Morehouse has Dr. Martin Luther King, and Howard has Thurgood Marshall and a whole host of other famous alums. but I have to give Tuskegee the overall nod.

Now back to the original subject at hand. I think both Atlanta and DC are in a virtual tie when it comes to HBCU cities.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
To be honest, because of Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and the Tuskegee Airmen, I would venture to say that Tuskegee is probably the best overall known HBCU, and a household name, nationwide more so than other HBCU's. Everybody, Black or White knows about Booker T. Washington, George Washington Carver, and their association with Tuskegee. The Tuskegee Airmen have received a lot of well deserved recognition in recent years. Of course, Morehouse has Dr. Martin Luther King, and Howard has Thurgood Marshall and a whole host of other famous alums. but I have to give Tuskegee the overall nod.

Now back to the original subject at hand. I think both Atlanta and DC are in a virtual tie when it comes to HBCU cities.
Booker T. Washington is a well known name but the school not bearing his name has a greater consequence for why most people(mainstream) could not tell you anything about where or what Tuskegee is.

Morehouse/Spelman has graduated some of the most well known respected leaders within the black community.For such a "tiny" school both have graduated a gross amount of talent that all of Howard can barely keep up.Morehouse has more than just MLK JR.
Try
Spike Lee
Samuel Jackson
Alice Walker
Julian Bond
David Satcher, former U.S. Surgeon General
Herman Cain
Walter E. Massey

The list goes on and on.
Morehouse and Spelman are constantly mentioned in movies,t.v. shows etc....I never hear of Howard in that same relation.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:22 PM

103 posts, read 260,010 times
Quote:
Yes, Hampton is most definitely one of the top HBCUs (#4 on my list) but Norfolk State....uh....The Spartan Legion kicks ass?!

YouTube - ‪NSU Spartan "Legion" BEHOLD THE GREEN AND GOLD!!!!!!!!‬‏

That last part is not a joke though. Norfolk has my 1b favorite HBCU band after my 1a Southern, but before my 1c House of Funk. I marched for them, so I can't bottom them out...though that was back in the day when we were better.
Not to get off topic but yeah norflks band is really nice and that's coming from a former member of UAPB's M4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City