Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ..........
Washington, D.C. 57 37.75%
Baltimore 15 9.93%
Atlanta 75 49.67%
Other 4 2.65%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 11:49 AM

336 posts, read 768,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Since when could someone figure out the type of people that lived in a neighborhood based on how it looked?

You did go to college, right?

And Southwest Atlanta as being "country". LOL
Just because I said "hood" doesn't mean I'm referring to "black neighborhood".
But I know for a fact SW ATL is real black.
I'm 21 years old so no I'm not DONE with college.
and yes its all country all there lol
Single family homes with tall weeds growing in the yards, dirt everywhere, country acting people. I call it ghetto and country = gountry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No doubt. I am not going to get in to a "who's hood is more dangerous" argument because that is just ignorant and thinking with the slave mentality, but to act like Southwest Atlanta is like Mayberry is clearly a comment made without actually knowing anything. LOL

It's a common mistake that some people I went to school with from other cities further North made about the area too though. I remember one kid I knew from BK who'd always go on and on about how rough his neighborhood was, how it was "nothing" around the West End, and how he wished somebody would "try something". Well, one night somebody did "try something" and held him at gun point. Not just for his wallet either, but for EVERYTHING he had on. They left him there on the sidewalk with just his boxers and a broke ego. They even took his tube socks. Of course I felt bad for him, but you can't sleep on Southwest.
Yeah. That's actually a downside of the AUC that hopefully they will improve on in not too long. If you come to the AUC from a big city and see that it has a lot of trees and somewhat of a small town look in the area and start thinking you don't have to be careful you could be in for a very rude awakening. I've heard students from L.A. to Boston describe the area as kind of scary or worse. But like I said they are trying to make improvements. They've recently knocked down the nearby housing projects and are trying to gentrify other parts.

And it's not just AUC. Georgia Tech is in a much nicer part of town but right next to some really rough areas. Many students there have been robbed or worse. Even when I was at Ohio State in Columbus for a while there were some rough blocks around and a few students were robbed and unfortunately there were incidents with serial rapers and such. I think that's one of the realities of school in the big city and AUC is no more immune to it than Howard.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 AM

336 posts, read 768,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Uhh, did you want us to notice that wasn't Atlanta or no?
Yes because as I've stated before Atlanta's neighborhoods look similar to those in PG county, MD. Someone disagreed so I should the evidence.

I want anybody from the A to show me a place in ATL outside of DOWNTOWN, MIDTOWN, AND BUCKHEAD that doesn't look like suburbs.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsing View Post
Single family homes with tall weeds growing in the yards, dirt everywhere, country acting people. I call it ghetto and country = gountry.
1. It's not all single family homes.

2. I've seen stuff like tall weeds growing in yards and general messed up surroundings in every central city North, South, East, West, Central. Including DC. Don't act like DC is somehow excluded from this.

3. Uh, since when did DC start not having Single Family homes? The big difference between DC and ATL in that category is that they are attached for the most part in DC, and detached for the most part in Atlanta. That is all.

4. Again, how can you base knowing anything off of a city solely on Google Maps. Point blank you don't know those neighborhoods and someone who does is telling you. Stop acting like you know it all because you can type in an address in Google Maps.

Lastly, I still have no idea why everyone in DC is so quick to call people country when it does nothing but make them look like biggest swamp running ignorant country folks out there.

We have to do better than this people.

Wake up.

SMH

Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Why is Clark being put on a pedestal?? It's TSU in slacks.

EDIT

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 06-06-2011 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
None of these schools want it with the Texas or Louisiana HBCUs when it comes to the bands. Morris Brown was definitely live, though.

Honestly, Howard and Spelman are the only institutions I'd proudly send my child to. Morehouse? Eh..once upon a time, yes, but probably not now. It's not for every black man.
What you tryna say?? *cough*

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Why is Clark being put on a pedal stool?? It's TSU in slacks.
Uh uh. And it's "pedestal", playa lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
What you tryna say?? *cough*
Simply that Morehouse isn't for every man. I've never actually attended the school, so of course my perception of it is limited.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Uh uh. And it's "pedestal", playa lol.

Don't call me out like that.

*cough* pedestal *cough*

Simply that Morehouse isn't for every man. I've never actually attended the school, so of course my perception of it is limited.
True true.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Yo check it.
I'm not about to read that long essay you just wrote cuz.
But you obviously don't understand English so imma say this in Spanish:

Eres un idiota como usted puede tomar el Internet esta en serio? Usted debe ser una virgen involunatary porque, al igual que otros carteles de aquí, probablemente jugar runescape mucho y no ven ninguna luz del sol. Vete a la mierda usted ***** **** culo!
Quote:
Man you and waronxmas needa show y'all faces so I can dedicate a youtube video of me cuttin ya up.
Quote:
¿Se puede tomar el pene de tu boca?
How did a discussion about HBCUs devolve to talk of "cuttin people up" and poorly translated Spanish (laced with other bizarre threats)?

I suppose no one can accuse DC of not rolling hard.

I stand by previous assertion: We have to do better.

SMH

Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM

51 posts, read 78,973 times
Quote:
It is compared to DC....
Most of ATL looks like Prince George's County, MD.
ATL is very country but, I know saying things like that might irritate people who live there. I've been to Atlanta millions of times, I have friends that live in Decatur, Lithonia & as far out as Snellville. I've partied many of times on Peachtree & the fact of the matter is, Atlanta is very, very, very different than Philadelphia, New York City & DC. The kind of urban blight you'd see in the Bos-Wash metropolis is almost nonexistent down south. Saying Howard University is in a bad neighborhood without accounting for the city it's located in the first place is unfair because half of DC (NE/SE/Parts of SW/NW) is a hellhole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City