U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,174,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Chicago is awesome but the last time I was there(last summer) a friend of mine was saying wait until we go down to the Lake you wont believe it. No offense but when we got down there, I looked at him like he was crazy. If you grew up on the coast the Lake is kids play.

Summer

LA
SD
Miami
There are many beaches in Chicago. I'd look around a bit. It's hardly "kids play"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 PM

648 posts, read 787,544 times
I LOVE Chicago in the summer, particularly around the 4th of July and the Taste of Chicago Festival. I'd imagine that Seattle is awesome in the summer, considering Seattle has near-perfect summer weather and that summer is about the only time the skies are consistently clear.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM

766 posts, read 1,133,962 times
Cleveland! There are so many events and festivals. Every single weekend there is some kind of cultural festival going on. People start going downtown more from the suburbs to see the Indians play, and go to concerts at the outdoor venues. On top of that, you have Edgewater and the Lake Erie beaches. Summer is a great time of year in Cleveland.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,526,088 times
The Pacific Northwest Cities take the cake, imo.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM

1,698 posts, read 2,023,627 times
Milwaukee has festivals pretty much every week-end during the summer - actually drawing a LOT of people from Chicago. Summerfest is the most popular - drawing 856,000 visitors last summer.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM

5,531 posts, read 6,081,963 times
ALL Northern cities are awesome in the summer:

Chicago
New York
Minneapolis
Seattle
Milwaukee
Portland
Boston
Detroit
Cleveland
Columbus
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

....It's probably the best time to visit any of these cities, including my favs; Minneapolis, Chicago, and Cleveland.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:17 PM

1,447 posts, read 3,528,559 times
in the united states, seattle would be my #1 choice, followed closely by chicago for the reasons mentioned by earlier posters.

if we're considering all of north america, though, montreal would be my pick as the king of summer cities. montreal probably has longer and harsher winters than any major city in the u.s., so its residents go all-out during the summertime. seriously, there's some sort of major event going on virtually every weekend all summer long, including internationally renowned festivals like the montreal world film festival, the montreal international jazz festival, just for laughs (largest comedy festival in the world), and so forth. these events are not only popular with locals, but also draw plenty of tourists from abroad - that's how big some of these festivals are.

the fact that montreal is one of north america's top international destinations during the summertime, coupled with its impressive roster of summer events, puts it at the top for me.

the cities of the bos-wash corridor have a lot going on during the summertime, too, but i wouldn't rank them among the uppermost tier of summer cities because a sizable number of the locals head for the beach (or to a lesser extent, the mountains) every weekend, with some families even living there for the entire summer, 50-80-100 miles away and totally removed from the city. as a result, these coastal (or de facto coastal) cities can actually be more laid-back during the summertime, with smaller crowds at popular restaurants/bars/clubs, more street parking, and a mad rush of city dwellers trying to beat the traffic out of town to their summer shares every single friday afternoon.

of course i'm not suggesting that these cities totally shut down like paris in august - there are still numerous street fairs and festivals, and plenty of people do stick around the city for the entire summer. but IMO these cities don't necessarily turn up the energy level a notch and become the focal point of their regions' summer entertainment and recreational options the way some other cities do.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,176,901 times
I have to say last summer I was unemployed in Seattle . Every day after job interviews I hit Alki Beach . Seattle is a utopia in the summer I will miss it this year since i work in Tacoma. Seattle is mesmerizing in the summer.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 AM

261 posts, read 303,433 times
Two of my favorites are Chicago and Cleveland. It's a well known fact that the cities with the harsh winters tend to go all out in the summer so a lot of the best summer cities are the northern ones where they don't have summer and sunshine year round.

Chicago is breathtaking on a summer day. Always something going on, people on the streets, the cityscape views are amazing, there is always something to do in during the summer. Taste of Chicago, Lollapalooza, Millenium Park, shopping and food, lakefront, 4th of July is amazing there.

Cleveland is more of a local summer city instead of a touristy one. It's one of the only cities I've been to that has such a high volume of FREE ethnic, cultural and arts festivals all around. People come in droves to the games, lots of Broadway plays. The world's best orchestra gives free concerts outside at night, the Rock Hall music festivals. The beaches and resort islands in Lake Erie are great and you've got the world's best amusement park on the shoreline. The metroparks and the Cuyahoga National Park right outside the city and Amish country is nearby.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM

9,184 posts, read 13,697,024 times
I love how Memorial Day comes around and suddenly there are hundreds of thousands spread out on the lakefront, baseball games, tourists cram into downtown, parades, DOZENS of neighborhood festivals that draw countless people. The energy simmers during the winter and then explodes out in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City