U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or San Diego?
Atlanta 120 50.85%
San Diego 116 49.15%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,491,890 times

Advertisements

They are both very different cities. If you are more outdoorsy and love the ocean, then San Diego would be for you.

Contrary to popular belief, the actual city of Atlanta--including other communities inside of the Perimeter (285) like Decatur--are very liberal, even more liberal than San Diego, which tends to be more conservative given that it's a military town and a destination for many wealthy retirees. The cityscape of Atlanta is also very beautiful given it's natural green canopy, but in no way does it match the spectacular beauty of San Diego.

I love Atlanta and I really like San Diego. To me, it all depends on what you want out of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,521,265 times
While Atlanta seems to be a nice city, very green, and in the South( I'm from Arkansas, so i love the south!!! ) San Diego gets my vote hands down. Which is why i'm moving there this summer

Old 05-03-2008, 08:46 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,373,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You know the drill. Which city would you rather live in? I think San Diego will win by a huge margin, but you know which one I'll vote for. Both cities have their pros an cons:

ATLANTA:
pros - low cost of living, southern culture and charm, healthy economy/plentiful jobs, good schools, good churches, exciting changes in weather, large airport hub which makes it easy to travel from and to, attractive females, plenty of activities, good BBQ/southern food, pine trees

cons - high crime rate, traffic, weather can get hot and humid in summer, pollen

SAN DIEGO:
pros - low crime rate, beaches, decent economy (though struggling through the late 00's), comfortable temperatures, attractive females, plenty of activities, good mexican food, palm trees

cons - high cost of living, traffic, weather (can get boring and dryness brings fire danger), some people can be stuck-up (more so than Atlanta due to demographics difference)
I don't get why people put "pine trees" for Atlanta, when in the city proper, pines probably only account for fifteen percent of the trees. In the metro as a whole, they might account for thirty five to forty percent, tops. Hardwoods are far more numerous in all but a few areas of the metro.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
You guys should come and check out our zoo in San Diego (world renowned)
I'm leaving California due to the high cost of living but would never move to Atlanta. Believe me I considered going there for a long time but after researching the city I found that it wasn't for me. The political climate would be unsettling.
Why? Are you a Marxist?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,750,912 times
i'll take san diego

Old 05-03-2008, 10:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,236,147 times
San Diego is underrated as a city. Much more of a concentrated downtown than LA, and halfway decent public transit. Gaslamp renovation/Petco Park has helped a lot, but stands out among cities with good weather. SD also has a lot of communications and biotech companies.

Atlanta's downtown is weak, and even Buckhead feels more like a suburban chain restaurant paradise than an urban neighborhood. Atlanta's pleasant and closer to NY and DC, but if I had to pick, I'd take SD.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
San Diego is underrated as a city. Much more of a concentrated downtown than LA, and halfway decent public transit. Gaslamp renovation/Petco Park has helped a lot, but stands out among cities with good weather. SD also has a lot of communications and biotech companies.

Atlanta's downtown is weak, and even Buckhead feels more like a suburban chain restaurant paradise than an urban neighborhood. Atlanta's pleasant and closer to NY and DC, but if I had to pick, I'd take SD.
Atlanta has a superior skyline to San Diego

Atlanta has a superior public transportation system to San Diego

Petco Park is nice, but isn't anything better than Turner Field.

Atlanta has communcations (think third largest cable television center) & Transporation.

Atlanta's pedestrian traffic downtown is weak, but that's changing. Much more pedestrian traffic lies in midtown, Virginia Highlands, and Buckhead.

Buckhead is eight miles north of the city center. Most places that far from the city center are suburban in nature.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:29 PM

3,408 posts, read 8,477,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post

I too will have to disagree on some of things you mentioned, such as ATL having a weak downtown. Downtown Atlanta has a lot of attractions such as Underground, Centennial Park area, Peachtree Center, etc. Also Atlanta, unlike many American cities that have only one centralised urban core, also has Midtown which has a lot of skyscrapers, and Buckhead has recently added some new tall buildings to it's growing skyline and looks like it's own city.

San Diego's downtown is actually pretty weak, mainly due to the 500 ft. restriction on buildings being close to the airport. The entire downtown S.D. pretty much looks like Buckhead's skyline, but cannot rival downtown ATL. San Diego might have and edge over Atlanta with it's weather, waterside scenery, and palm trees, but one thing San Diego is not is urban. In fact, that's a thing that a lot of people love about S.D. is it's more laid-back, suburban vibe. Some people try to compare San Diego to Tokyo, NYC, or L.A., which is just ridiculous. Atlanta is closer to being comparable to those cities than San Diego is.

Also, Atlanta's MARTA may not be the greatest mass transit system in the country (NYC, Chicago, S.F., Boston, D.C., Philly, etc. have far better systems), but I think it's still more conveniant and efficient than San Diego's trolley, imo. Mainly because we're comparing heavy rail vs. light rail.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,277,899 times
I'd choose to live in Atlanta over San Diego because my hard earned dollars would go much farther there. And I am a sports fan too. Atlanta has all the 4 major professional sports represented. Also, it is because Atlanta's weather is more varied and has more precipitation. I have nothing against San Diego but Atlanta would probably be a better fit for me.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:17 PM

619 posts, read 1,456,755 times
I pick atlanta for one reason and its that it feels more like a traditional city( Chicago, New York) while San Diego feels like a Miami with just condos, hotels etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or