Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 10:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times

Advertisements

And as someone said... Just because a Mexican cook is farther from the border does not mean they get worst at cooking.
That's stupid.

Being a border city won't give you "points" in having better Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
For me, when I am trying to find good Mexican food, I look for places frequented by Mexican customers. Yea if you're a yuppie who hangs out only some yuppie neighborhood, the Mexican may not be as good. And that's usually because the clientele does not know the difference.
One of the best places I've been to was a little place in a strip mall in the valley, off of the 5 freeway, somewhere South of Stockton when I was headed out to photograph a ghost town with my sister. Couldn't tell you the name for the life of me, but I got the distinct feeling I was the only white guy who had been in there in some time. Don't know what they did to the rice and beans in that burrito, but oh my god... freakin' amazing, with oaxacan cheese and salsa made from tomatoes and onions that were probably picked less than a mile away! And for four fifty, nonetheless.

Quote:
Worst plate of carne asada nachos I had was at a gas station in Livermore, CA before the altamont. The best was in Rolling Meadows, IL. I don't consider it to be an indicator that one place is better than the other, it was likely happenstance. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong cook, perhaps.
The worst, for me was this place called Bomber's in Albany, NY and a place called Burritotown, USA in Boston (didn't see that one coming ). I cannot think of worse possible burritos. For that matter, the "premier" taquerias in Boston are called Ana's, and they are pretty far down there.

I can't narrow it all down to one place... for me, El Farolito - they have two in the Mission here in SF, one in Santa Rosa, and one on International Blvd in Oakland... the one on International seems to be the best. Taqueria Can-Cun on Market and 6th in SF is pretty epic, and Mexican Village down in LA has the absolute best guacamole on the face of the damn planet. La Cabana in Venice has a burrito called the El Rojo that everyone should try before death, and Guelaguetza (Oaxacan) on 8th St. in the Mid-Whilshire/Mexican-part-of-Southern-Koreatown area has phenomenal mole.

Honorable mention to El Camion off Aurora in Seattle. Tres sopes ftmfw Hands down the best in Seattle!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
And as someone said... Just because a Mexican cook is farther from the border does not mean they get worst at cooking.
That's stupid.

I agree, but just because you have a skilled Mexican chef doesn't mean you automatically have awesome Mexican food. You have to consider local access to fresh ingredients, some of which grow regionally.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
That's stupid.

Yes it does everyone knows the further north you get the worse the food people have stated the south is only fat because of good food, so therefore the north isnt as fat because of bad food, god people are ignorant

Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I can't narrow it all down to one place... for me, El Farolito - they have two in the Mission here in SF, one in Santa Rosa, and one on International Blvd in Oakland... the one on International seems to be the best. Taqueria Can-Cun on Market and 6th in SF is pretty epic
There's a 3rd El Farolito in SF as well, in the Excelsior, and two more Taqueria Can Cun locations, but the market street one is probably the best taqueria period in the downtown area. I blew some new england relatives' minds when i took them to El Farolito (Boston and Connecticut Mexican food just doesn't compare, apparently). Can't forget La Taqueria either, which is my personal favorite (been there since the 70s)...Farolito probably matches it actually due to lower prices and a larger menu, but LA Taqueria has better Carne Asada IMO, and the best damn green hot sauce you will ever have. Pancho Villa is pretty good too. Also, the Super Taqueria chain in the south bay kicks ass as well, as does this one chain in San Diego that i can't remember the name of (you know your state has lots of Mexicans when even the local mexican chain restaurants tend to be good). I've also had some of the best mexican food ever when I was in Salinas, and Desert Hot Springs. That's one thing i like about states like CA, AZ, NM, TX, etc: you can find really good Mexican food even in small cities, or towns in the middle of nowhere.

And i shouldn't have posted in this thread while hungry.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There's a 3rd El Farolito in SF as well, in the Excelsior, and two more Taqueria Can Cun locations, but the market street one is probably the best taqueria period in the downtown area. I blew some new england relatives' minds when i took them to El Farolito (Boston and Connecticut Mexican food just doesn't compare, apparently). Can't forget La Taqueria either, which is my personal favorite (been there since the 70s)...Farolito probably matches it actually due to lower prices and a larger menu, but LA Taqueria has better Carne Asada IMO, and the best damn green hot sauce you will ever have. Pancho Villa is pretty good too. Also, the Super Taqueria chain in the south bay kicks ass as well, as does this one chain in San Diego that i can't remember the name of (you know your state has lots of Mexicans when even the local mexican chain restaurants tend to be good). I've also had some of the best mexican food ever when I was in Salinas, and Desert Hot Springs. That's one thing i like about states like CA, AZ, NM, TX, etc: you can find really good Mexican food even in small cities, or towns in the middle of nowhere.

And i shouldn't have posted in this thread while hungry.
Yeah just mentioning El Farrolito before lunch makes me hungry. Wish I had that down the street today...

Where I grew up in Santa Cruz there's a little place called Tacos Moreno that I've been going to my whole life. Some of the best al pastor and chile verde burritos and tacos I've had---just meat, real pinto beans(no mushy refried beans) and shredded cabbage. There's plenty of tacquerias around, but that's kind of the local's favorite.

Anyways, I think I'm going down to Los Angeles next month...can someone reccomend a good Mexican joint in or close to downtown where I'm staying? Also, aren't there some good Oaxacan places over in the Wilshire area?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:17 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
My personal favorite taqueria in the Bay Area is Los Gemelos on Middlefield in Redwood City followed by La Costa on International in Fruitvale (Oakland).

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah just mentioning El Farrolito before lunch makes me hungry. Wish I had that down the street today...

Where I grew up in Santa Cruz there's a little place called Tacos Moreno that I've been going to my whole life. Some of the best al pastor and chile verde burritos and tacos I've had---just meat, real pinto beans(no mushy refried beans) and shredded cabbage. There's plenty of tacquerias around, but that's kind of the local's favorite.

Anyways, I think I'm going down to Los Angeles next month...can someone reccomend a good Mexican joint in or close to downtown where I'm staying? Also, aren't there some good Oaxacan places over in the Wilshire area?
The one I was talking about above, Guelaguetza, is the best Oaxacan joint. It's in the mid-wilshire area, on 8th Street, a few blocks south of Wilshire.

I'd hit Mexican Village, which is pretty close to downtown (maybe a ten minute drive), just to try the guacamole. Mmmm!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Which US city has the best Mexican food? What makes it different from Mexican food offered somewhere else? Are there different variations or different regional Mexican cuisines offered in the restaurants in the city of your choice? Also feel free to mention any particular Mexican restaurant that you like.

Albuquerque/Santa Fe
99% of restaurants in New Mexico sell New Mexican food. And the 1% of Mexican food pales in comparison!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
99% of restaurants in New Mexico sell New Mexican food. And the 1% of Mexican food pales in comparison!
Yeah, New Mexican food is delicious. And it almost deserves it's regional food category--like Cajun or Creole food in Louisiana. There's a New Mexican food cart here in Portland from a guy from Albuquerque and while it's pretty good it's not as the food I had at local diners in New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City