Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,354,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol at Chicago or even LA having more votes than San Diego.
There are more Mexicans here than there are PEOPLE in San Diego, it's crazy that L.A. doesn't have more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM

4,421 posts, read 5,294,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
Tex mex is the McDonalds version of Mexican food. San Antonio has terrible Mexican food, its just weird and plain. New Mexico's version of Mexican food is made with love, its New Mexico soul food.

Your kidding right? One is not better than the other but they are different for sure.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,247,394 times
Quote:
Tex mex is the McDonalds version of Mexican food. San Antonio has terrible Mexican food, its just weird and plain. New Mexico's version of Mexican food is made with love, its New Mexico soul food.
No, Taco Bell is the McDonald's of Mexican food.

I take it you don't like fajitas or chili con carne. Tex-Mex cuisine represents the Tejanos, which have their own culture, seperate from Mexico. When made from fresh, homemade ingredients, it's definitely authentic.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 PM

896 posts, read 1,161,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont think of New Mexico food as Mexican food. It more local than that.
San Antonio has some great spots, all of the border states have great stuff, but I'd say California and Texas.
LOL at New Mexico having so many votes I've tried it and its not all that that people try to make it out to be, Tex-Mex is ok, but by far LA has the best there's no competition its like asking who has the best Italian food NY, boston, or Chicago? The competition in LA is like no other city in the U.S. and who said New Mexcio has spicier food? I think the people voting on here have no idea what real mexican food is, if you chipotle or baja grill is good mexican than you shouldn't be allowed to vote on this.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Well this site isss full of a bunch of gringos.
^^^^This right here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol at Chicago or even LA having more votes than San Diego.
yeah those 2 hours makes a worlds of difference

Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,625,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL at New Mexico having so many votes I've tried it and its not all that that people try to make it out to be, Tex-Mex is ok, but by far LA has the best there's no competition its like asking who has the best Italian food NY, boston, or Chicago? The competition in LA is like no other city in the U.S. and who said New Mexcio has spicier food? I think the people voting on here have no idea what real mexican food is, if you chipotle or baja grill is good mexican than you shouldn't be allowed to vote on this.
New Mexico is different and garners many votes because a lot of people (including myself) LOVE the roasted green chiles and red chile sauce they make there. Can it be found elsewhere like Tucson or Chicago, sure but the chiles are celebrated in the Land of Enchantment and quite frankly New Mexican food is the bomb diggity. LA no doubt has more variety and variations of Mexican, but don't compare New Mexican food to Chipotle, please ! They've been making tasty New Mexican food in the Land of Enchantment for several generations dating back centuries.

On a side note Boston can go toe to toe with New York on Italian (http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...orhood-us.html)

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-22-2012 at 03:44 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 03:44 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,036,195 times
I think they all have good Mexican food, but it's all different. TexMex, NewMex, AriMex, and CalMex are all different from each other, and I feel they're all good in different ways.

On the other hand, I would probably say the best Mexican food I've ever had would be in Tucson, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I think they all have good Mexican food, but it's all different. TexMex, NewMex, AriMex, and CalMex are all different from each other, and I feel they're all good in different ways.

On the other hand, I would probably say the best Mexican food I've ever had would be in Tucson, but that's just my opinion.
Thats some type of gringo version right there, you will never find a Mexican restaurant in east LA or South Central advertising Calmex, all you find around LA is the real deal authentic stuff anything else will either fail or be kept alive by gringos who have a taste for sour cream and lettuce.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:57 PM

886 posts, read 1,556,364 times
Did El Paso, LA, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Tucson, Albuquerque, Salt Lake City, and Denver no longer exist for there to be Chicago in second place on this poll? Chicago is great but really? Beating San Diego and El Paso?! LOL

Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,391 times
Quote:
This is foolish, foolish talk!

I like the results of the poll, surely LA with it's size & variety has the overall best, and for 2nd a push between San Antonio and ABQ, probably depending on which you prefer...I can't decide, I think overall Tex-Mex is better but I do love me some green chiles! Personal preference for me: Texas > New Mexico > California.

Also, SA has incredible Tex-Mex but also has TONS of regional Mexican food too...one of the most renowned local joints in SA isn't Tex-Mex:
Guajillo's The Shortcut to Mexico - San Antonio, TX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City