Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 06:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Why? There are about 1.2 million-1.5 million Mexicans in the chicago area.
Just makes me wonder if they've ever been south of Springfield, IL, haha just kidding. Maybe some Mexican restaurants there are AS GOOD as those in LA, ABQ, El Paso, SA.etc, but BETTER? Come on, seriously?

There are probably 10 million Mexicans in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
Best mexican food I had was in Texas in San Antonio. There's mexican people all over there and they cook some good behind food.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:35 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,747,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Maybe some Mexican restaurants there are AS GOOD as those in LA, ABQ, El Paso, SA.etc, but BETTER? Come on, seriously?
Indeed, given that Mexicans are so widerspread across The United States why would any one place have better (whatever that means) Mexican food than another? Of course having more Mexicans in a certain place would probably mean more good places but not necessarily better.

I'm also struck by the futility of even attempting to judge this. Given that both LA and Chicago have hundreds of Mexican joints who in the Hell REALLY knows what's going on anyway? No one is qualified to say.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:38 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,420 times
I've eaten Mexican Food in most of these cities, and in no way, shape, or form is Mexican food in Chicago better than Phoenix/Tucson, San Diego, or San Francisco Bay Area. I have no clue who in their right mind would vote for Chicago here. I'm not saying the Mexican food is bad there, but there are plenty of places where it is significantly better.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm sorry but LA doesn't spring to mind when I think of Polish cooking. Chicago, Pittsburg, Detroit, yeah; LA, no.

Not to mention Lithuanian and Bohemian chow. How's alambres and kugelis sound? Zeppelins ala Mexicano? Burritos stuffed with pork tenderloin? Chile sauce over potato dumplings?
And Chicago doesn't come to mind when I think of Asian food, the multiple examples of which represent the cuisine of more than half the World's population, and represented domestically in most significant part in the same city with far and away the largest Mexican population in the US, a city that used to be part of Mexico.

5,888 posts, read 13,004,325 times
Quote:
Indeed, given that Mexicans are so widerspread across The United States why would any one place have better (whatever that means) Mexican food than another? Of course having more Mexicans in a certain place would probably mean more good places but not necessarily better.

I'm also struck by the futility of even attempting to judge this. Given that both LA and Chicago have hundreds of Mexican joints who in the Hell REALLY knows what's going on anyway? No one is qualified to say.
Availability of fresh Ingredients. You can get god Mexican food in New York and Chicago but it just doesn't taste as good.

Just like you can get decent Pizza in California, but it just does't taste as good as what you can get in NY (New Haven, New Jersey) and Chicago.

18,495 posts, read 32,940,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Haha same with me, I am from Santa Maria which is heavily Hispanic. Though the tastes of the local Hispanic population is more geared toward barbequeing or burritos. But any time I got home the first place I go is a Mexican joint (for a town of 100,000 there are a lot of options )
i admit I don't go ga ga for Mexican food, but I have gredy friends who have been bouncing around the NE, NY, Philly, even some areas of WV, and they always complain about the dishes just not tasting as good as they do in Texas.

First thing they do when they get back here is head to some mexican joints too.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
And Chicago doesn't come to mind when I think of Asian food, the multiple examples of which represent the cuisine of more than half the World's population, and represented domestically in most significant part in the same city with far and away the largest Mexican population in the US, a city that used to be part of Mexico.
Swell. So what does that have to do with Mexican-Polish fusion?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Quote:
Swell. So what does that have to do with Mexican-Polish fusion?
This is reading like an offensive ethnic joke.

Where did I mention polish food?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I've eaten Mexican Food in most of these cities, and in no way, shape, or form is Mexican food in Chicago better than Phoenix/Tucson, San Diego, or San Francisco Bay Area. I have no clue who in their right mind would vote for Chicago here. I'm not saying the Mexican food is bad there, but there are plenty of places where it is significantly better.
How would you know? Every day I drive by dozens of Mexican joints and I don't have a clue what's going on in them. Do you?

And I sure as Hell don't know what's going on in the other cities you mentioned. That's why I'm not so bold as to venture an opinion of what city has the best Mexican and wonder if ANY city actually does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City