Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: US City with the best Mexican Food
San Diego 26 7.49%
Los Angeles 82 23.63%
SF Bay Area 20 5.76%
Phoenix/Tucson 20 5.76%
Albuquerque/Santa Fe 36 10.37%
El Paso 15 4.32%
San Antonio 46 13.26%
Houston 28 8.07%
Dallas 14 4.03%
New York City 4 1.15%
Chicago 27 7.78%
Somewhere else 29 8.36%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

California>>Arizona>>New Mexico>>Texas

Cities: of course LA is #1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I guess the next thing you'll tell us is that you went and tried the new Dorito's taco shell thingy's.
Now that's disgusting.

Believe it or not, Mexican food wasn't always nearly as great or widespread in Houston as it is today. I grew up eating more Taco Bell than real Mexican food, so I guess I'm just used to it.

But obviously, when I want authentic Mex, I'm going to get the real deal. TB isn't Mexican food. It's just fast food...and close to my house lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
In Philly the southern end of the Italian Market is now basically the Mexican Market - mostly Poblanos and most of the restaurants and taquerias serve the real deal.

i recently spent 10 days traveling the coast in California from Orange Co. up to SF and eating as much mexican food as I could. For all the hype I've heard from Californians about how mexican food on the east coast sucks and how awesome it is out there . . . i have to say I was underwhelmed. It was all good but I never ate anything that made me think, "this is so much better than what I can get at home".
And a good laugh was had by all.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I can't believe you went there - living in a place with the real deal like you do.

I guess the next thing you'll tell us is that you went and tried the new Dorito's taco shell thingy's.
Hey: when you're driving down the 5 or the 10 at 2am in the middle of the desert and nothing else is open, you could do worse than a Cheesy Bean And Rice Burrito.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Hey: when you're driving down the 5 or the 10 at 2am in the middle of the desert and nothing else is open, you could do worse than a Cheesy Bean And Rice Burrito.
No doubt, you do what you gotta do in a pinch. I'll take Taco Cabana over Bell for my late night crappy Mexican fast food fix, though. Taco Bell is THE. LAST. RESORT.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:30 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
No doubt, you do what you gotta do in a pinch. I'll take Taco Cabana over Bell for my late night crappy Mexican fast food fix, though. Taco Bell is THE. LAST. RESORT.
I agree Taco Bell may be your last...meal not resort.

Blue Mesa and Anamia in Plano Tx are good sw/mexican respectively.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Yeah, thankfully if you're in LA proper, there are 24 hour taquerias in every area. I'd take Lucy's over Taco Bell any day... but again, if you're in the middle of a desert, you take what you can get. Taco Bell isn't bad, it's just not that good. It is what it is: Mexican-inspired fast food.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
If you ask a lot of Mexicans where the best Mexican food is, there's a good chance they'll just say their momma's kitchen(or some other relative). At least that's the case with a lot of the Mexican friends I've had or people I've worked with. It was always, "Those tamales are good, but not as good as my mom's," or "No restaurant could make mole as good as my grandma." Much of Mexican food isn't that hard to cook in a lot of ways, but there's something to be said for old recipes cooked at home and the real complicated dishes can take a while to prepare...

Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Let's stop acting like Taco Bell isn't tasty. Had me a 5-layer, the other day, and it hit the spot.
Taco Bell's just really bland, tasteless slop. It's not disgusting, really, it's just sort of there. I feel like a pig when I eat it, I mean that literally, like I'm feeding at a trough, and I could just kind of eat it forever without enjoying it or having it really register at all.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Taco Bell's just really bland, tasteless slop. It's not disgusting, really, it's just sort of there. I feel like a pig when I eat it, I mean that literally, like I'm feeding at a trough, and I could just kind of eat it forever without enjoying it or having it really register at all.
If you go to a real Mexican joint, you're getting real beans, real meat, real cheese, and fresh veggies. If you go to Taco Bell, you're getting reconstituted beans and meat that are chock full of preservatives and filler, cheese that's soy-based, and unfrozen veggies.

Bottom line, you're not actually eating real food, and so there aren't many actual nutrients to hold you over. I keep a really healthy and fresh diet, and if I eat Taco Bell, it usually leaves me within a half an hour. My body's like, "the hell with you..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City